Revell 1:72 MiG-21 F-13 "Fishbed C"

Hi,

First Work-In-Progress build here so bear with me if the quality is poor :worry:

Got this Revell 1:72 MiG-21 F-13 "Fishbed C" for just £2.00 at the Air Tattoo 2017 because apparently, they weren't selling well for the £8.00 asking price :wonder:. Either way, it was a bargain so I bought it - and seeing as I have all the paints needed I can start work straight away.

IMG_6840.jpg
Box

The three sprues (plus a clear sprue) were very nice (sadly I have no images of them before I got at them with my blades) in Revell's metallic-silver plastic. There was no flash apart from a large chunk on the exhaust that I easily removed with a cutting knife. The clear parts seem high quality - with the canopy being in two halves so hopefully I can model this with the canopy open. Sadly there is no pilot - as with all other Revell kits - so I'll need to try and do a decent job with the cockpit. There is a very small decal sheet lacking in detail from what I usually expect from Revell - however it's a 1:72 model so I guess it's understandable. There are options to depict one from the "Air-Defence-Garde-Regiment", USSR 1961, or one from East Germany (GDR), 1963. I will be modelling the USSR one :) 

I will hopefully model with the gear down also.

So I hope you enjoy this build I guess... again apologies as this is my first time documenting a build - any suggestions for improvements would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

Adam :) 

Edited by Adam Bromiley
  • Like 1

So I did the interior before creating this thread. Most pictures online seem to show the interior as being USSR's Interior Blue/Green, however the instructions said to paint it as Light Grey and Stone Grey. Here's one of the few images I could find of a grey cockpit - this being a Romanian MiG-21:

Related image

Because I don't have any bright green or light blue paint to mix to make the interior blue/green, I stuck with the grey. The instructions also say to paint the instrument panel black - which I ignored and painted grey as well apart from the top bit which is the HUD housing I think... (could someone confirm that? ;)). There was a decal for the panel - but I decided to paint my panel because I had no decal fix. It has very nice raised details though.

IMG_6835.jpg
IMG_6836.jpg

All of these parts and the control stick sat in a small bucket shaped container which glued very nicely to the fuselage half. No filing was needed for anything :shocked:. Moving onto the fuselage halves, they had a satisfactory amount of wiring/circuit breaker detail on them.

IMG_6831.jpg

One of the halves of the tail fin was slightly warped, however, I clamped it down when glueing so hopefully it would be alright. All three undercarriage wells were painted in aluminium before being dry brushed with black - they were then glued into the fuselage, again no filing needed. The exhaust was a simple two part construction, a tiny bit of filing was needed to squeeze it in but nothing demanding - both parts were painted in steel, then the inside was painted with anthracite grey.

IMG_6832.jpg
IMG_6837.jpg

Once this was all done, I glued the fuselage halves together with a frenzy of clamps because the nose and tail halves didn't stay together.

IMG_6839.jpg

If you are wondering where the seat was... It is oddly set to be glued in in the last step of building with an option to not have it there at all. I don't know why you wouldn't have a seat... presumably if you want to model it ejected? Anyways, the seat consisted of three parts, which I painted before glueing.

IMG_6838.jpg

• Like 2

As another relative newbie (working on my 2nd WIP at the moment) I will be watching this with great interest! I have this kit in my stash and look forward to seeing how your build progresses.

• Like 1

Whew. Thanks for the replies - and I can agree that the bargain price was refreshing in such an expensive hobby. Apologies for not posting yesterday, I was waiting for a new pot of aluminium and some decalfix.

Righty so this isn't the most exciting update, I added the wings and stabilator which went on fine. The wheel wells were painted aluminium and dry brushed with black for depth. They were too small for me to put any details such as hydraulic lines or wires so I left them out.

20170723202352_IMG_6842.jpg

Next to add were the three airbrakes, two are either side of the fuselage under the cockpit and are affixed with their corresponding hydraulic housings and, with the starboard airbrake, the 23mm cannon. The third airbrake is located on the belly of the aircraft behind where the drop tank would be - making it pointless in a lot of situations. The instructions recommend the airbrakes are painted aluminium with a steel-coloured depression where they sit flush with the fuselage. I, however, took inspiration to paint them bronze because this was what they were in all of the photos I've seen online - plus it looks more eye-catching! I might add scratch built hydraulic actuators later as the kit isn't detailed enough to have them :( .

20170723202621_IMG_6847.jpg

20170723202540_IMG_6845.jpg

I added a few lumps and bumps to the rear fuselage, I don't actually know what they are but I assume they're some kind of radar or ir jamming mounds.

20170723202451_IMG_6844.jpg

The final step was me using humbrol's filler to fill in a large gap at the top of the fuselage where I had sanded down a bit too much. Also there were some gaps in the cockpit but were easy to cover up. 

20170723203903_IMG_6848.jpg

So hopefully I'll post in the next day or two with more updates. The undercarriage is all painted on the sprue but not assembled.

Apologies if my pictures are not good quality, I model in the evening and my lamp isn't bright enough to get good images. Also apologies if the build seems to be going too fast, after all it is a 1:72 model and I'm not aiming to put excessive detail in.

Cheers,

On 21/7/2017 at 13:02, Adam Bromiley said:

Most pictures online seem to show the interior as being USSR's Interior Blue/Green, however the instructions said to paint it as Light Grey and Stone Grey.

the Mig-21 F13 is a very early MiG 21, and they were light grey, later there was a switch to that turquoise colour.

the F-13 is a first generation to be precise, out of four, plus 2 seaters and then there are all the Chinese ones

see http://www.mig-21.de/english/technicaldataversions.htm

for a basic primer....

1 hour ago, Adam Bromiley said:

the bargain price was refreshing in such an expensive hobby

I wouldn't call it an expensive hobby!  It's possible to spend a lot, but I'd suggest it's one of the cheaper hobbies overall.

But two quid is an absolute steal...  don't tell me you only bought the one....

cheers

T

On 24/07/2017 at 1:55 AM, Troy Smith said:

the Mig-21 F13 is a very early MiG 21, and they were light grey, later there was a switch to that turquoise colour.

the F-13 is a first generation to be precise, out of four, plus 2 seaters and then there are all the Chinese ones

see http://www.mig-21.de/english/technicaldataversions.htm

for a basic primer....

I wouldn't call it an expensive hobby!  It's possible to spend a lot, but I'd suggest it's one of the cheaper hobbies overall.

But two quid is an absolute steal...  don't tell me you only bought the one....

cheers

T

Dammit now you mention it - I should've bought the lot! :(

• Like 1