US Special Forces GMV and M-ATV

DaveJL

Hello all,

I'm planning a bit of a project around a US Special Forces GMV (Humvee). I'm aware that there is very little information out there on them, and from my research so far, no 2 seem to be the same! I know that they were gradually phased out in Afghanistan in favour of MRAP vehicles, but from what i've been reading, they've been used in small numbers in Iraq along with pick up trucks.

So far, i'd planned to use Bronco's M1114 along with various resin additions - Black Dog, Live resin and so on.

Does anyone have any pictures or further info on these vehicles? I've seen some fitted with an M134, then others with a .50cal and some then have an M240 mounted beside the main weapon in the turret, but as I say, no 2 seem to be the same.

Any information would be great as it would help with what i need to get for the Humvee kit.

Also, does anyone know if SF used the M-ATV in Afghanistan, and if so, would you know of any configurations for this vehicle?

Thanks

Dave

Hi Dave, US Special Forces GMV under went many changes, throughout the time they were Service. lots of crew modifications, and newer hummer models.

I will post some photos later. 

photos of M-ATV in training and  Afghanistan.

a%20Untitled99_zpshlcmswoq.jpg

Net Photos

Dave, not sure if any are still used US SF as better protected vehicles are now available. IED are still big killer of all forces .

Armament was more or less down to the crew, some weapons are better for longer rages,and others better for closer combat.

Dave, if you need any more help just post your requests here.

20 hours ago, magman2 said:

Dave, not sure if any are still used US SF as better protected vehicles are now available. IED are still big killer of all forces .

Armament was more or less down to the crew, some weapons are better for longer rages,and others better for closer combat.

Dave, if you need any more help just post your requests here.

Thanks mate, think i'll go ahead and build one anyway!

Any more information on SF MRAPs?

Thanks mate, great pictures. Might start off with a M-ATV if I can get my hands on a kinetic one!

Any more shots of the weapons set up on them?

Are the SF versions all fitted with the CROWs equipment? I've seen that Live Resin do a SOCOM update for this.

Hi Dave,

the Kinetic M-ATV was withdrawn because of the errors in the kit. It was Kinetic's first 1/35 vehicle kit and fair play they put their hands up and admitted the mistakes and didn't make any more. They have been promising an updated version for some years now.

The Panda kit is very nice. Suspension is challenging but do-able and the parts need lots of clean-up and dry-fitting, bu t any moderately experienced modeller should be able to manage it.

The SF M-ATVs as far as I know normally have the RWS, the extra bull-bar at the front and the rear area has build in storage bins on the sides as in MagMans pictures above. These would need to be sratch built

5 minutes ago, SeanM said:

Hi Dave,

the Kinetic M-ATV was withdrawn because of the errors in the kit. It was Kinetic's first 1/35 vehicle kit and fair play they put their hands up and admitted the mistakes and didn't make any more. They have been promising an updated version for some years now.

The Panda kit is very nice. Suspension is challenging but do-able and the parts need lots of clean-up and dry-fitting, bu t any moderately experienced modeller should be able to manage it.

The SF M-ATVs as far as I know normally have the RWS, the extra bull-bar at the front and the rear area has build in storage bins on the sides as in MagMans pictures above. These would need to be sratch built

Thanks mate.

Do you know what errors were in the Kinetic kit? I've read a few reviews and it seems to get good praise.

I'd take either of the kits if I could get my hands on one, the Panda one seems to lack a detailed interior though.

As far as I can remember the dimensions were way off. Panda has no radio gear inside but a more detailed exterior than the Kinetic version. ProArd did a lovely radio set but hard to get now. BLAST Models in France also do an MRAP radio set which is quite nice and will fill the interior for you. 

30 minutes ago, SeanM said:

As far as I can remember the dimensions were way off. Panda has no radio gear inside but a more detailed exterior than the Kinetic version. ProArd did a lovely radio set but hard to get now. BLAST Models in France also do an MRAP radio set which is quite nice and will fill the interior for you. 

Thanks Sean. Hopefully I can get my hands on a Panda kit then, though they seem to be hard to find.

I've picked up a set of the ProArt radios (not a cheap set :lol: )

Hopefulĺy this album will help you

http://s213.photobucket.com/user/35th-scale/library/Models/Panda M-ATV?sort=3&page=1

And there is a build thread in the armour section but all the links are broken thanks to our friends in PB

And if you message me an email address I can send you a wiring guide I got off a guy from the states who knows these things very well. If you want to add the cables that is. I didn't do it right as my fingers and eyesight just wasn't up to that level of detail

Edited by SeanM
Additional info

Not a lot of trucks use the RWS, mainly because a gun on a remote can't control the battle space the way a man can.  

Let me so do some digging, I've got a handful of good pictures from Mosul 2009/2010 working with them.

20 hours ago, crushkill said:

Not a lot of trucks use the RWS, mainly because a gun on a remote can't control the battle space the way a man can.  

Let me so do some digging, I've got a handful of good pictures from Mosul 2009/2010 working with them.

Thanks very much!

From the SF images i've seen online, all have the RWS.

1 hour ago, DaveJL said:

Thanks very much!

From the SF images i've seen online, all have the RWS.

I've worked with them a little in both Iraq and Afghanistan, but for most of 2009-2010 I was working with them daily, the group I was with had one RWS truck, the rest were 134's

1 minute ago, crushkill said:

I've worked with them a little in both Iraq and Afghanistan, but for most of 2009-2010 I was working with them daily, the group I was with had one RWS truck, the rest were 134's

Cool, thanks! Would the proportion of RWS trucks have changed since those dates, perhaps on any vehicles currently in Iraq?