'Ghost Planes' - Arghhh - Where are the crew???

BIG X

With a week off work and in between butchering a few Messerschmitts I decided to take a look at some kits that are working their way to the top of the stash...

• ICM Dornier DO-17Z 1/48
  • Eduard BF-110C 1/48
  • ICM Junkers JU-88A4 1/48

As I'm in a bit of a 'wheels up' phase at the moment I was a bit disappointed to note that the ICM kits offer no 'wheels up' option - but I'm sure I can work around this - as they have undercarriage doors I'm sure I can glue shut.

BUT - NO CREW!!!  I'm a bit disappointed to say the least.  :(

So the question is...  WHO IS GOING TO FLY THE PLANE???  :undecided:

• Like 2

There are quite a few manufacturers that don't provide figures these days and I haven't considered the problems that would cause for the wheel-upers. Just had a look on evilbay and there are a few after-market seated pilots, not particularly cheap though.

Being wheels down, I have a few unemployed pilots who are just loafing around with nothing to do.

They are a motley bunch of poorly formed human beings, but they are fully trained for sitting motionless staring at the horizon, and available for work if you want them. Trouble is, you may have problems with getting their hands on the controls as some of them have been idle so long that they have taken to touching themselves inappropriately as you can see from the photo.

tn_22810308-ed3d-4e65-8ee8-4c01a5b74ea4.

• Like 9

2 minutes ago, Gorby said:

There are quite a few manufacturers that don't provide figures these days and I haven't considered the problems that would cause for the wheel-upers. Just had a look on evilbay and there are a few after-market seated pilots, not particularly cheap though.

Being wheels down, I have a few unemployed pilots who are just loafing around with nothing to do.

They are a motley bunch of poorly formed human beings, but they are fully trained for sitting motionless staring at the horizon, and available for work if you want them. Trouble is, you may have problems with getting their hands on the controls as some of them have been idle so long that they have taken to touching themselves inappropriately as you can see from the photo.

tn_22810308-ed3d-4e65-8ee8-4c01a5b74ea4.

I have been looking on the tinterwebs and Hannants too - outrageously expensive prices for a bit of resin - that I am bound to cover in too much paint.  That and the fact that when viewed through the scaled 2 inch thick canopy you think - 'what's that inside the cockpit' - 'oh its a pilot'...

I think it is a real cheapskate trick on their part not to include a crew.

I would be very happy for any volunteer aircrew from the 1/48 wing to step forward to test fly some luftwaffe aircraft.

Usual address I assume? I'll have a look through my micro-stash to see if there are any others skiving there - you may end up with a few Japanese or Russian Luftwaffe crew, so you may have to put some translations on the controls.

• Like 1

Can't give practical help I'm afraid as all my pilots remained on the sprue and get slung out in the recycling.

However for the Ju88, have you considered this.........

Mistel-01.jpg

No need for a cockpit either!

Trevor

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Max Headroom said:

I'm pretty sure the top one needs someone to fill the seat, even if it's only a trained monkey.

• Like 5

Revell does/did sets of Luftwaffe and RAF pilots.

About £8 a box. Some seated and some standing aircrew and a few ground crew. They are multipart and with care the parts can be mixed.

They were a copy of sets put out by Prieser

They are bit hard to find now but some boxes of them lurk on model shop shelves

• Like 2

After a quick role call I have 13 pilots ready to report for duty, although one RAF chappie is an amputee missing an arm, but being British he's ready to sign up for active service regardless. He's requested a non Luftwaffe role, but I've told him that he'll have to follow orders and accept any gig he's offered.

I'll bung them in the post.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Gorby said:

Usual address I assume? I'll have a look through my micro-stash to see if there are any others skiving there - you may end up with a few Japanese or Russian Luftwaffe crew, so you may have to put some translations on the controls.

Fantastic sense of humour :lol: :lol: :lol:

...now I have picked myself up off the floor - yes the same address if you have it.  I must repay the favour somehow - Thanks Gorby - you are a star.

Steve

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Gorby said:

After a quick role call I have 13 pilots ready to report for duty, although one RAF chappie is an amputee missing an arm, but being British he's ready to sign up for active service regardless. He's requested a non Luftwaffe role, but I've told him that he'll have to follow orders and accept any gig he's offered.

I'll bung them in the post.

If Douglas Bader could do it without legs I'm sure this guy can manage with one arm.  He may well end up as gunner or a half hidden radio operator.

Cheers Mate

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Max Headroom said:

Can't give practical help I'm afraid as all my pilots remained on the sprue and get slung out in the recycling.

However for the Ju88, have you considered this.........

Mistel-01.jpg

Trevor

Hi Trevor - I knew if I hung onto that pen top I would find a use for it eventually :lol:

• Like 2

Looks like you're all set, but you can also post in the Wanted section of the forum (found under Buy & Sell).

Likewise, those that wish to unload unused pilots can post in the For Sale thread.  It does seem though those that don't use pilots just pitch them away, as when  I was searching for a few, only one  member responded.

regards,

Jack

• Like 1

17 hours ago, BIG X said:

I have been looking on the tinterwebs and Hannants too - outrageously expensive prices for a bit of resin - that I am bound to cover in too much paint.  That and the fact that when viewed through the scaled 2 inch thick canopy you think - 'what's that inside the cockpit' - 'oh its a pilot'...

I think it is a real cheapskate trick on their part not to include a crew.

I would be very happy for any volunteer aircrew from the 1/48 wing to step forward to test fly some luftwaffe aircraft.

I think the answer to this is actually fairly simple though. The vast majority of modellers do not use the pilots provided. This seems to increase as price and complexity increases. You must also remember that a pilot figure is a tricky thing to design in CAD and instead is often sculpted and then scanned in to form data to be tooled from. This is NOT cheap, so in my view quite rightly many manufacturers don't see the need of either taking a hit on margin or passing on that cost to the consumer, when many of those consumers do not use the figures anyway.

I know this doesn't help you, and I'm glad some of our great community are sending you some figures, just wanted to shed some light on the probable reason why they a aren't more common fixtures in kits.

Edited by snowen250
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, JackG said:

Looks like you're all set, but you can also post in the Wanted section of the forum (found under Buy & Sell).

Likewise, those that wish to unload unused pilots can post in the For Sale thread.  It does seem though those that don't use pilots just pitch them away, as when  I was searching for a few, only one  member responded.

regards,

Jack

Hi Jack - It's sad to think that pilots are 'thrown away' - that term seems so appropriate when taken in the context of war - or maybe I'm getting a little too 'deep'.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, snowen250 said:

I think the answer to this is actually fairly simple though. The vast majority of modellers do not use the pilots provided. This seems to increase as price and complexity increases. You must also remember that a pilot figure is a tricky thing to design in CAD and instead is often sculpted and then scanned in to form data to be tooled from. This is NOT cheap, so in my view quite rightly many manufacturers don't see the need of either taking a hit on margin or passing on that cost to the consumer, when many of those consumers do not use the figures anyway.

I know this doesn't help you, and I'm glad some of our great community are sending you some figures, just wanted to shed some light on the probable reason why they aren't more common fixtures in kits.

Shame on them then - were they not kids themselves once - badly painting a pilot that looks like a piece of plastic that the cat has chewed is all part of the fun - shame I say!!! ;)

1 hour ago, JackG said:

regards,

Jack

Hi Jack - MORE would be lovely - ICM are bringing out a 1/48 Heinkel HE-111 in the autumn and she will need a crew - which I'm 100% certain they won't supply!!!

Are there any more aircrew ready to step up to the line for the Fatherland - get rooting...

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Black Knight said:

Revell does/did sets of Luftwaffe and RAF pilots.

About £8 a box. Some seated and some standing aircrew and a few ground crew. They are multipart and with care the parts can be mixed.

They were a copy of sets put out by Prieser

They are bit hard to find now but some boxes of them lurk on model shop shelves

My apologies; I thought the more recent 1/48 versions were similar to the old 1/72 sets but they are not. The Revell Luftwaffe set only includes 6 or 7 multipart figures, none of which appear to be for inside an aeroplane

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Revell-02621-Pilots-Ground-Crew-Luftwaffe-WWII-/401350175338?hash=item5d7255aa6a:g:0lgAAOSwCkZZQkDB

• Like 1

Ah, a man after my own heart... I build almost all my models wheels up (they go on the ceiling) and the absence of crew is always a disappointment... although some of the figures provided are also a bit, what shall be say, mouldy?

I've found a number of BMers happy to pass on their 'spares' and I've set up a moulding 'production line' (after much experimenting) to replicate the best ones. I'm 1/72 so can't help I'm afraid but it might be worth trying the moulding if you find some nice examples... well moulded figures are becoming quite rare it seems.

Nice explanation from snowen250 - I guess it makes commercial sense to leave them out, just a shame IMHO.

• Like 2

Just now, Gorby said:

The crew have been dispatched to their new posting - they will be ready to report for duty in a jiffy (bag).

Cheers Mate - Greatly appreciated Sir

I would also love to see a re-introduction of seated aircrew to planes. I'm also not very fond of the empty seats.

Maybe a set of seated pilots could be made by some kind company?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mainly28s said:

I would also love to see a re-introduction of seated aircrew to planes. I'm also not very fond of the empty seats.

Maybe a set of seated pilots could be made by some kind company?

With all the wheels / exhausts / seats / undercarriage legs / pitot tubes / flaps / radiators / machine guns / cockpits - etc etc etc

I really think the after market boys are missing a trick by not offering well sculpted aircrew for everything that hits the market.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, BIG X said:

With all the wheels / exhausts / seats / undercarriage legs / pitot tubes / flaps / radiators / machine guns / cockpits - etc etc etc

I really think the after market boys are missing a trick by not offering well sculpted aircrew for everything that hits the market.

Heck, if they skipped a few of the "invisible" parts (so the stuff that no-one sees if modelling a proper, buttoned up kite), I think that the manufacturers could throw in a "generic" pilot with each kit again.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Mainly28s said:

Heck, if they skipped a few of the "invisible" parts (so the stuff that no-one sees if modelling a proper, buttoned up kite), I think that the manufacturers could throw in a "generic" pilot with each kit again.

The trouble is that you can't please all the people all the time, personally I prefer engine/weapon bay details to crew. 

• Like 2