Airfix Bristol Blenheim MkIVF

I think that could be a way to sort the fitment issues but still have to be careful about the window joins. They can be fiddley but they go together quite well. Be nice to see more blenheims on here as well. Especially the nightfighter. Like option B here.

Airfix Bristol Blenheim mkIV

May have to buy another just to have a black one  😂😂😂😂

• Like 1

I know what you mean @Blitz23 not cheap and a vacform as well. Would be lovely but maybe not yet haha.

Good news, tonight i managed an hour or two and set about doing a few final touch ups and maybe start thinking about laying down the decals.

Started of by finishing the engines just leaving the intake trumpets to be painted.

More blenheim work

Look so much better with the ends drilled out. I also made a start on the decals. 

More blenheim work

I started off by applying micro set to the surface of the aircraft and laying down the decal. Then removing any air with a cotton bud and then giving it a heavy coat of micro set solution.

More blenheim work

I then left the micro solution to do their job and got the flaps fitted and undercarriage legs painted and wheels on ready for weathering.

More blenheim work

Not sure if i have done it right but hopefully they will settle down.

My next task is going to be getting the rest of the decals on and getting the exhaust in place and applying some of the weathering techniques i havr been wanting to try out. Hopefully should get some more done by the weekend. Thanks for looking in guys.

• Like 9

Airfix detail painting instructions for the engines are wrong. The central gear casing should be semi-gloss black, not anuminum.

Chris

Edited by dogsbody

Very nice Graham :)

I wouldn't worry too much about the masking - it looks pretty good and any small spots can be cleaned off with careful use of a cocktail stick.

Some posters run around the mask with a scalpel before removing but I'm too lazy to bother and have only had a couple of problems, easily touched up.

• 2 weeks later...

Evening all. This week has been a non stop week and very little was done on the blenheim. However sunday i spent my day at the Southwell model show, hunting down the bargains and boy did i find a bargain.

Yes thats right its a 1/48 airfix sea vixen, which for a strange reason have been selling on ebay for anywhere from £60 - £80😑😑.

Latest additions

I got mine for a steal of a price at just £22 still bagged and ready for action.

This will be my big project with more aftermarket than injection moulded plastic 😁😁. Starting next year to keep your eyes out. 🙄🙄🙄

Right back to the blenheim.

I managed to get an hour last night and decided to really hit it hard.

To begin with the engines where fitted and the exhaust fitted and painted.all the small bits where fitted and touched up as well as some small details tidied up too.

More blenheim

The engines fitted great and the propeller just pop on with a gentle push. Atill need to fit the bosses on and add some small amounts of chipping to the propellers.

More blenheim

You can also see that the flaps are now on and all of the decals have been applied. The microsol and microset didnt really help the decals despite making them delicate. But they have gone on nicely. 

More blenheim

Overall i am pleased with the camoflage and the overall finish so i applied some thinned enamel black and made a very light wash to bring out the panel line detail. And also decided to start on the weathering on the underside as well.

More blenheim

For the exhaust stains i used some grey and black charcoal sticks which are used for art and applied a powder to the areas around the aircraft exhausts. Again this is another first attempt at a new technique, still need more practice.

One of the final techniques i wanted to have a go at was creating a chipped effect to show paint wear.

More blenheim

Not too bad, but again maybe some more practice. By this point i left everything to dry and fettled around with the rear turret and housing. Not really anything to show so will get a picture up once i have made something of it.

Fianlly one of the last jobs will be the matt coat to seal everything in and remove the masking 😊😊😊. I now cannot wait to see this finished. Hopefully get it to the end tommorow night. Take care guys. Be seeing you

More blenheimMore blenheim

• Like 9

21 hours ago, CedB said:

Very nice subtle weathering Graham - nearly there :)

Cheers Ced. Hopefully be finished soon. Just a few last bits and the clearvoat in matt then remove mask and few final touch ups. Cant wait to finish it before the mojo dies haha

• Like 1

Right chaps moving ever closer to the finish. Last couple of nights had me on a go slow with the Blenheim as it was an evening of final touch ups and getting the matt coat on. I used vallejo matt varnish which was thinned down so it would flow smoother and passed over in several light layers to create an even finish.

Here is how she was looking.

My blenheim nearly finished

And a view from the side.

And one on the top.

Until the matt varnish had set for long enough i left it for the night came back to it again last night.

It was time to get the masking off, the part i had been waiting for. I used my knife to go around to break any paint joining the masking to the model and set about clearing the windows.

First one off and looked good.

After about half an hour they were all off 😁😁.

And yes i was pleased. I cleaned all the dges with a cocktail stick and and a damp cotton bud to clean the windows from the masking glue.

At this point i left it as it was and finished off a few small bits.

All that is left now is the top turret and the ariel on the bottom. More soon and close to the finish.

Thanks for looking in 😁😁😁

Edited by Graham316
Wrong picture lol. Not a rude one just same picture twice haha
  • Like 11

Here we go guys she has finally made it. @dogsbody chris i am still looki g at how i can replicate the the heat staining but in due course i will sort it out.

However tknight was the last couple of hours getting her finished off and sorted out ready for the RFI.

First was the turret, which had to be cleaned from the paint bleed.

Blenheim finally completed

And also that poor fitting ariel on the front.

There was also a couple of little touch ups which were done. At this point i decided to call her done before i do something and make a mess. So i finished off with a few more shots.

Blenheim finally completedBlenheim finally completed

So now its off to the ready for inspection for some showcasing. I will have a think about the engine casings before my next build. If i do manage to sort it ill post here but for now its off to tge ready for inspection.

Thanks for following this guys been a pleasure to build and show. 

• Like 9

• 4 years later...

Beautiful build, appreciate you posting this here, Graham.

My Dad had a framed picture of the Blenheim in his lounge - and he was really proud to have served in the RAF.

Thank you for referencing and sharing an exceptionally important aircraft in such a very careful and detailed manner.