Aircraft carriers with a water base ?

100SQN

Hi,

I recently watched a review of the Trumpeter 1:700 USS Lexington CV-2 (1942) and noticed the model came with a water base.

I've never built a ship or carrier before so I wasn't aware that some came with a base. Is this common or just a Trumpeter thing ?

The reason I'm asking is that I'm looking to build an aircraft carrier (US/UK) but I feel I would really struggle to build a water base for it. So if a model came with one included, that would be a bonus.

Could somebody recommend one with a water base ?

Thanks,

Simon

Hi Simon,

The kits won't come with a water base, you will have to make it or buy it separately. You can buy printed type water base I think they are available from Sovereign Hobbies. However making a sea scape does not have to be hard work and is a lot easier than you might think.

Much depends on the scale you intend to model at, but judging that you wish to build a carrier the method I use will be appropriate.

Fundamentally for waterline models I use textured paper:

16578272187_53dff80f4e_b.jpg

Which I glue to a board and paint with Humbrol 31 Slate grey, I give that a couple coats of gloss varnish. That is the quick and easy way to make the sea. Then I place the model onto the sea base and draw out the wake pattern, this one is for 1:600 scale 

16657580139_60422bc159_b.jpg

For my larger scale models 1:350 and above I encase the hull in cling film to protect it and glue the model to the base.

23159119366_19d39b5a0a_k.jpg

I then use acrylic texture paste to sculpt the wake for the larger models.

22503596633_f680989bb8_k.jpg

22916919030_94f0943f73_k.jpg

Because the hull is encased in cling film you can be messy as you like. When the texture paste is dry you can cut away the cling film leaving your ship mounted on the sea. 

23304819036_68ef80f14f_k.jpg

For my smaller scale models I use Acrylic Structure Gel which dries clear but can be mixed with acrylic white paint and this can be applied with a brush.

16817841746_a2a3c20890_b.jpg

16656129518_34fc0264d1_b.jpg

16937927116_0e17277a4e_b.jpg

If you have a full hulled model and you are worried about hacking it then instead of using a wood base mount the model in polystyrene.

33646579885_8afcb38229_b.jpg

The technique is the same to make the sea scape.

All the materials to do this are available in your local Hobbycraft or in any arts and crafts shop and are not particularly expensive.

Much depends on you personal preference but you will be surprised how easy it is.

I hope this helps.

Paul

• Like 6

23 hours ago, Paul E said:

<SNIP>

You can buy printed type water base I think they are available from Sovereign Hobbies.

<SNIP>

I hope this helps.

Paul

Hi Paul, thanks for the mention, but it's my friendly competitor Mike McCabe at Starling Models who sells printed bases :yes:

41 minutes ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

Hi Paul, thanks for the mention, but it's my friendly competitor Mike McCabe at Starling Models who sells printed bases :yes:

My apologies, I should have researched first.

• Like 1