My endless Spitfire build - ready for 2019

8 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Well Simon it took me a lot longer than a few days but I have caught up.   Some cracking Spite Ryanair going on here . Love it. 

Great work 

All the best 

Chris 

Thanks Chris, Your likes allowed me to keep track of your progress through the thread. 😄

I've not quite finished the VI and the XIV has gone back in the stash but I'll re-starting in the next couple of weeks, once I've got a couple of Group Builds done.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

Has your autocorrect thrown a wobbly there Chris? Or is it a secret code...?! :winkgrin:

Keith

Hi Keith

I tried to insert an Emoji but it wouldn't let me .

That's my bloomin phone, it is always giving me problems.  Thanks for pointing it out.  It was supposed to say some cracking Spitery honest.

All the best
Chris

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Because I've been busy taking part in Group Builds, I haven't done much with this thread but I have been building Spitfires.

A KP VC:

20181219_145953

An Eduard VIII:

20181111_214552

Another KP VC:

20181029_185651

An Airfix I:

20180909_161845

A KP VB:

20180825_190101

Another Eduard VIII:

20180825_214318

An Airfix IX:

20180825_190306

Finally, the VI that I had been fiddling with when I last posted on this thread:

20181219_150118

I'll be doing more Spitfires this year, starting with this:

2018-12-29_05-52-54

More soon.

Thanks for looking.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

As my two current builds are heading into the painting stage, it's time to make a start on the first Spitfire of the year.

Here's what you get in the box:

The KP Spitfire Vb sprues,

20190102_122453

Transfers, printed by Fantasy Printshop, for two aircraft. The colours look right to me,

20190102_122518

These are the options,

20190102_122628

20190102_122639

there's also a sheet to help with stencil placement,

20190102_122646

and, finally, the resin bits,

20190102_122559

The top two bits aren't mentioned in the instructions but appear to be a replacement cowling if you choose to do MB335, which had the six stack exhausts. I don't think I'll use them as I don't fancy cutting the cowling and making more seams to deal with.

The bottom bit is the A-frame arrestor hook which looks fairly easy to fit.

I'll make a start on this and post some in-progress shots later.

Thanks for looking.

• Like 14

8 hours ago, Beard said:

The top two bits aren't mentioned in the instructions but appear to be a replacement cowling if you choose to do MB335

That was my first thought, but if you place them inside the fuselage so that the exhaust slots line up, they act is a barrier to stop the exhaust parts from falling through.

John.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, johnd said:

That was my first thought, but if you place them inside the fuselage so that the exhaust slots line up, they act is a barrier to stop the exhaust parts from falling through.

John.

Maybe but that sounds like an over-engineered solution when a couple of bits of plasticard serve the same purpose.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Beard said:

Maybe but that sounds like an over-engineered solution when a couple of bits of plasticard serve the same purpose.

They're too small to be replacement cowlings, they'd be too narrow. And the snug fit inside the fuselage is too much to be a coincidence for me.

John.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, John D.C. Masters said:

Excellent Simon.  How many have you built o far?  

I have another Spitfire floating through my mind at the moment as well.  I have to finish a Swiss Gustav first...

Thanks John. I don't know how many Spitfires I've made, I'll have to pop up to the loft and have a count.

14 hours ago, Gazontipede said:

Nice to see the production lines rolling again.

Hopefully looking at all these will give me a swift boot out of my current malaise!

Thanks, I'm hoping to make more Spitfires this year.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sturmovik said:

How do you find inspiration to build so many Spits? I remember I got bored of the Fw 190 after my fifth build.

That's a good question (and remember there are people who've made more Spitfires than me), I suppose I just like making Spitfires.

• Like 7

Hello Simon !

Ah Seafires at least...

Great idea !! Différents color schemes !!

Now if you prefer Spitfire, feel free to call them hooked Spitfires :cheers:

Nice to see your production line back in the arena !!

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 1