My endless Spitfire build - ready for 2019

Nice progress Simon :)

The memorial is a nice place for a visit isn't it? A 'Beard' on the wall? Is that a relative?

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, CedB said:

A 'Beard' on the wall? Is that a relative?

Probably not, certainly not a close one, but I might do a bit of investigation.

Edit: here's a bit about John Beard:

http://www.worldnavalships.com/directory/aircrewprofile.php?AircrewID=5892

http://www.bbm.org.uk/airmen/Beard.htm

Born in Worthing, my family are from London/ Essex, it's not beyond the realms of possibility that there's a connection but, sadly, there's no-one left to ask (and I can't be bothered to do any proper research).

Edited by Beard
  • Like 3

Interesting!

There's a nice set of subjects in his career if you decided to do a 'memorial build' eh?

Just saying... :)

• Like 1

Back from a week in Birmingham and I'm celebrating by giving the 24 a first coat of Dark Green.

2018-03-10_07-00-38

I'll be giving the XIX a final coat of PRU Blue in a minute and might finish the 18's transfers later today.

By my reckoning, the votes are as follows:

No.8 - 1 vote

No.9 - 4 votes

No.12 - 1 vote

No.17 - 1 vote

No.18 - 2 votes

No.24 - 1 vote

I hearby declare No.9, Spitfire VI BS124 of 103 MU Aboukir, the winner. It will be started in due course. In the meantime, here's it's history:

FF 23-7-42 15MU 26-7-42 76MU 2-9-42 Ripley 8-9-42 Middle East 28-10-42 to reinforce BP985 high alt FV against Ju86P-2 sorties FAC2 12-12-42

There's some information about the high altitude flights over Egypt here:

Thanks for looking (and for voting).

• Like 7

Very beautiful & moving place Capel le Ferne, I was there a little over three years ago. I didn't get around to voting Simon but like your choice of #9, one I did in the MTO GB late in 2016. An interesting beastie & just a bit different. No self respecting Spitfire collection should be without a VI trop. :)

Steve.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, stevehnz said:

Very beautiful & moving place Capel le Ferne, I was there a little over three years ago. I didn't get around to voting Simon but like your choice of #9, one I did in the MTO GB late in 2016. An interesting beastie & just a bit different. No self respecting Spitfire collection should be without a VI trop. :)

Steve.

Thanks Steve. If you're ever in this part of Blighty, let me know and I can show you a few places of interest.

I would've chosen the 103 MU MkVb  (no.8) but it's democracy so what can you do?

• Like 4

I would enjoy that Simon, thanks, my son & I did a day trip Chelmsford to Winchester via Kent so as you can inagine a whistle stop trip, still managed Capel le ferne & the BoB Museum at Hawkinge, would love to have had more time though.

Steve.

• Like 1

Not a lot of modelling today as we went for a walk along the Royal Military Canal and had a pint at the Hopfuzz brewery.

20180311_143306

The XIX needs some touch-ups before a gloss coat:

2018-03-10_07-37-54

and the 24 is ready for a gloss coat:

20180311_160532

I'm now cooking tea (Ragù Bolognese, as you're asking) so not much will to be done today but I will nip up to the loft and find a suitable Spitfire for a MkVI.

Thanks for looking.

Edited by Beard
to correct spelling.
  • Like 5

2 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

Build them both...:whistle: 

That's the plan.

I've found an original mold of the AZ Spitfire V which I'll use as it has all the bits for a MkVI.

2018-03-11_08-41-18

but might use the extended tips from an Eduard MkVIII:

20180311_203940

One thing the AZ MkV doesn't have is the MkVI's pressure cabin bulkhead. Luckily, the bulkhead from the Airfix XIX fits so I'll use a spare as a template.

20180311_203913

I've done a bit of interior painting, using Colourcoats Interior Grey-green and painted the bits that'll be black with Humbrol 33, which I've also used as an undercoat for the wheelwells and bits that will be painted aluminium.

Thanks for looking.

• Like 8

Home early from work so did some modelling.

If you're making a Spitfire V that had a headrest, and the photographs of MkVIs that I've seen have headrests, AZ make you cut the top off of the seat armour. I suppose that's easier than sticking on a headrest.

20180312_154353

I usually paint plastic seats for Spitfires with Humbrol 70 (brick red) or 160 (German camouflage red-brown) but I recently took delivery of some Colourcoats paints and have some RN anti-fouling red, so I used that:

20180312_154751

I've also started to paint the wheelwells, cockpit bits and radiator.

Thanks for looking.

Edited by Beard
to correct spelling (stupid autocorrect).
  • Like 7

Eastenders is on so my presence is not welcome (I can't help asking 'who's that?' or 'what's going on?' repeatedly) so I'm in the west wing fiddling with Spitfires.

Finished the MkVI's cockpit bits:

20180312_200831

20180312_200758

20180312_200407

I'll join the fuselage halves in a while then see if the bulkhead fits.

Thanks for looking.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Beard said:

(I can't help asking 'who's that?' or 'what's going on?' repeatedly)

Excellent ploy Simon, good work!

Talking of good work, that 'pit looks v.neat again, the belts are really nice (again, again!)

Keith

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nice work Simon, again.

I'm becoming more impressed by the details on the different marks and, honestly, a bit lost about where this is going... one of each or are you emptying the stash? Whichever, it's a great thread.

Anti-fouling red on the shopping list - their henchman has a lot to answer for eh?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, CedB said:

I'm [...] honestly, a bit lost about where this is going... one of each or are you emptying the stash? Whichever, it's a great thread.

Anti-fouling red on the shopping list - their henchman has a lot to answer for eh?

I had had planned to do one (or more) of each but I've got a bit lost too so I think it's become a stash reduction exercise, which means it'll be going for some time yet.

I got the Anti-fouling red because their henchman uses it and I needed to make my order up. I think I'll dry-brush it over  darker red next time.

• Like 3

:)

Whatever the reason, it's a fine thread and has become my reference for Spitfire variants.

Aren't you happy with the anti-fouling red? It looks good to me in the photos.

( I must admit that the term 'henchman' when applied to our cuddly Stew now seems to be inappropriately intimidating?! :D )

1 hour ago, CedB said:

[...] has become my reference for Spitfire variants.

I'd be (very) wary about using anything I do as a reference.

1 hour ago, CedB said:

Aren't you happy with the anti-fouling red? It looks good to me in the photos.

I think it's a little bright. My plan is to use a darker red for the base and use the Anti-fouling red for 'random' streaking.

1 hour ago, CedB said:

I must admit that the term 'henchman' when applied to our cuddly Stew now seems to be inappropriately intimidating?! :D

It's how he describes himself.

• Like 2

Thanks Simon - your knowledge is valuable and your modesty admirable :)

No offence meant or taken on the 'henchman' and I probably worded my comment badly, apologies. I was amused when Stew first changed his signature; now I find that I either have to amend my view of Stew or, perhaps more dangerously, my view of henchmen! They are nice, friendly people aren't they?? :D

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, CedB said:

Thanks Simon - your knowledge is valuable and your modesty admirable :)

No offence meant or taken on the 'henchman' and I probably worded my comment badly, apologies. I was amused when Stew first changed his signature; now I find that I either have to amend my view of Stew or, perhaps more dangerously, my view of henchmen! They are nice, friendly people aren't they?? :D

My modesty is admirable because my knowledge is limited.

I didn't take, or mean to cause, offence by the use of the word "henchman' either. I'll have to take your word regarding hiw cuddly Stew is because I've never met him.:)

Anyway, more Spitfite wrangling.

The 24 has had a gloss coat and I forgot it has yellow leading edges:

2018-03-13_08-29-50

The XIX has also had a gloss coat but I've noticed that I hadn't adequately dealt with the nose seam:

2018-03-13_08-30-07

The VI's pressure cabin bulkhead has been installed:

20180312_212306

and the lower wings attached:

20180313_201231

Meanwhile, the wingtips have to go:

20180312_203806

Et Voila!

20180312_204811

Thanks for looking.

• Like 5

Today is my day-off so we made a trip to France to stock-up on wine, artichoke hearts and GÄ—noises cakes (think Jaffa Cake but better) and have lunch in Boulogne-sur-Mer.

20180314_121158

20180314_141151

As the wine has been safely stored, I can fiddle with Spitfires.

The 24 has had it's yellow leading edges done:

2018-03-14_06-00-08

The XIX has had the remedial work done on the seam (I can't see it but no doubt this photograph will show it):

2018-03-14_05-59-52

(I also stuck the stickers on the Beaufighter lurking in the back of the shot.)

The 18 is ready for the sticky-out bits:

20180314_175703

such as the undercarriage:

20180314_175759

Finally, the VI has wings:

2018-03-14_06-00-32

I'm tempted to start an Eduard VIII next but really ought to find some markings, that don't include invasion stripes, for a XI that's been hanging around for a year or so.

Cheese and wine for tea and Pelforth Brine Brune for dessert so I doubt there'll be much more done today.

Thanks for looking.

Edited by Beard
to correct spelling.
  • Like 6

Thanks Simon :) As you probably gathered from Stew's posts, he's a very very nice man - met him at Telford on the Sovereign stand.

Nice progress on the Spitfires and I hope the Pelforth Brune didn't make you too wobbly - strong stuff!

• Like 1

Oh now Jamie, you're too humble... all the people at Sovereign are nice and likeable!

Sorry for the thread drift Simon but it had to be said! :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2