My endless Spitfire build - ready for 2019

No photographs but the MkVb has had it's first gloss coat while the MkVII and MkIX have experienced a problem. I think the thinner (turpentine substitute) used on their first coats of Medium Sea Grey reacted with the glue because the fuselage seam and wings came apart on the MkVII and the port upper wing/ fuselage seam and rear fuselage seams came apart on the MkIX. They've all been re-glued and much masking tape has been used to hold them while they set. I'll leave them for a couple of days and see what happens.

In the meantime, I'll start an AZ MkVI.

Thanks for looking and don't forget to vote on which KP MkV I do next.

Edited by Beard
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, CedB said:

Arrggghhh. Can't like that Simon, bad luck. :(

Thanks Ced but I'm not sure luck has anything to do with it, more likely bad workmanship. Having read the discussion about glue on your Ju52 build, I'll be digging out a tube of polystyrene cement.

• Like 1

While the glue sets on the MkVII and MkIX and, I'm watching the first part of Ken Burns' documentary 'The Vietnam War', I thought I'd start another Spitfire.

I'll be doing a MKVI, the first pressurised Spitfire. If you're interested, here's a (very) brief history: http://www.historyofwar.org/articles/weapons_spitfire_mkVI.html

I'll be using this:

20170925_212707

It's an older tool from AZ/ Admiral/ KP and is nowhere as nice as the KP MkV.

20170925_212809

20170925_212754

but all the bits for the MkVI are there, apart from the pressure bulkhead and decals (I'll make the former out of plasticsheet and use Xtradecal and Ventura sheets for the later).

Some plastic has been cut and glued:

20170925_214523

To add the extended wingtips, the standard ones have to be removed:

20170925_214508

Some paint has been splashed on the interior bits but we've all seen that so I won't post any photographs.

I think two or three MkVIs were used by 91 squadron so, if that's the case (and I'm sure I've read a reference to Jean Maridor flying one in a book, which I think is called 'Jim Crow, that's in the loft). There's also an Osprey book on 91 which I may have to invest in.

91 flew from RAF Hawkinge, the nearest airfield to my current home, they were later one of the two squadrons to fly the MkXII (which will be the subject of a later build).

Maridor was killed when a V1 he had shot down exploded near the village of Beneden. Here's something about him:

http://www.benendenvillage.org.uk/maridor.htm

Some say he should have been awarded a Victoria Cross.

Thanks for looking.

• Like 5

What scheme will this be in Simon? I do like the extended wingtips on Spitfires - I built that Sword PRIV that I mentioned earlier with them, even though the concensus of opinion suggested it should have standard ones - the pics I could find didn't give 100% 'proof' either way, so I invoked modellers licence! 

As an aside I was mooching around Hannants website on the weekend & noticed the boxart for this one - I was pondering on what aircraft it is that 'we' are sat in that's formating on the Spit....Mossie maybe ?! Yes, I must get out more!

Hope the glue has stuck well on the VII & IX...

Keith 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, keefr22 said:

What scheme will this be in Simon?

It'll be in the Day Fighter Scheme, which was used prior to the adoption of the High Altitude Scheme (Medium Sea over PRU Blue).

As an aside I was mooching around Hannants website on the weekend & noticed the boxart for this one - I was pondering on what aircraft it is that 'we' are sat in that's formating on the Spit....Mossie maybe ?! Yes, I must get out more!

Yes, you must get out more.

For the record, that's going to bug me now.

Hope the glue has stuck well on the VII & IX...

It did, thanks and I've done some more.work on the MkVI in the meantime. (See what I did there? I should've been a TV presenter.)

I've done some painting...

20170926_203813

20170926_203825

and found a suitable bit for the bulkhead, it's from an Airfix Spitfire XIX (which I'm converting to a MkXI) but appears to fit. I was going to use it as a template but I've got several more XIXs in the stash.

20170926_203853

(That's, quite probably, the most boring photograph you'll ever see on BM.)

but where does it go? The Spitfire Story has a good photograph...

20170926_215039

It also has a photograph of the bit behind the seat...

20170926_215002

AZ has a cylindrical bit, it'll have to go... I'll replace it with a bit of stretched sprue.

Found my book about91 squadron...

2017-09-26_09-46-51

I'm sure it has a reference to 91 having at least one MkVI on strength.

Thanks for looking and don't forget to vote on which MkVb I do next.

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, Beard said:

Airfix Spitfire XIX (which I'm converting to a MkXI)

Are you scratchbuilding that conversion or using the Freightdog set? I ordered apparently the last one of the latter that Hannants had in stock over the weekend, paid for next day delivery so it would arrive today when swmbo was at work - & it looks like flaming Parcelfarce have lost it! Suppose I'll have to look into scratchbuilding it now - teach me for being lazy!

Interesting detail work going on with the VI !

Keith

• Sad 3

On 9/25/2017 at 4:22 PM, Beard said:

(and I'm sure I've read a reference to Jean Maridor flying one in a book, which I think is called 'Jim Crow, that's in the loft).

He did, it's a decal option in the Italeri Spitfire VI.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, CedB said:

Bulkhead. Interesting. No really, it's part of the 'how do we pressurise this leaking thingy' history. Innit. :D

Some of the leaks in the pressure cabim were traced to the core of wires.

8 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Are you scratchbuilding that conversion or using the Freightdog set?

I'm using the Freightdog conversion and, just to taunt you, have another two in the stash. Freightdog's website will, apparently, be back up on 30th September so you might be able to order another (I got mine by contacting Colin on here).

I hope your one turns up.

3 hours ago, Procopius said:

He did, it's a decal option in the Italeri Spitfire VI.

Thanks PC. I had seen that and wanted to do a bit of research to confirm it.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Beard said:

just to taunt you, have another two in the stash.

:tease: back to you too...!! I've been watching Colin's website 'progress' reports on his Facebook page, hope he does get it live again.

19 minutes ago, Beard said:

Parcel Force didnt lose it ... they’re choosing a time when “SWMBO” will be home alone to recieve it. Its Parcel Force’s way of spoiling military like precision. 

You're almost spot on there, it has now apparently been received at the local delivery depot - it's only taken almost 24 hours longer than it should have! At least, touch wood, they haven't lost it....:pray: 

Keith

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I'm currently reading 'Jim Crow', looking for a reference to a Spitfire MkVI flown by Jean Maridor and as @Procopius

mentioned it's an option in the Italeri MkVI, I thought I'd check it out.

Here's the back of the box:

Ita_Spitfire_HF_MkV_cover_h.jpg

I think the serial is BR326.

A brief search reveals it's history:

FF 14-5-42 5MU 15-5-42 421S 28-6-42 91S 28-6-42 RAE 4-9-42 LOX eng boost trials. SF Northolt 18-9-42 124S 25-1-43 616S 31-3-43 ros 31-5-43

The relevant bit is that it was with 91 Squadron from 28th June 1942 until it went to the Royal Aircraft Establishment.

I'll have a trawl through my reference books, in the hope of finding a photograph, later.

I have considered buying the Osprey book about 91 squadron (which I believe was written by the author of Jim Crow) but the cheapest copy I could find on Amazon was over £40 so I bought a couple of books about David Bowie instead.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

Parcel farce finally delivered the parcel. Any heads ups so far on using the Freightdog conversion?

Glad to hear it arrived, I hope the other half didn't find out.

The conversion really only requires care when you cut off the nose and tail. I didn't exercise care when doing that, so had to use a bit of filler.

• Like 1

I've done a little work today.

Firstly, I removed the bit behind the seat on the MkVI:

20170927_165411

and replaced it with a bit of stretched sprue:

20170927_165719

which, on reflection, should be thinner and more cylindrical so I'll try again.

Also, pretty much finished the MSG uppersurfaces on the MkIX:

2017-09-27_05-40-12

and started painting the uppersurfaces of the MkVII:

2017-09-27_05-39-57

Lastly, the MkVb has had a gloss coat on the uppersurfaces:

2017-09-27_05-39-40

I think it needs another coat on the fuselage before the transfers go on (there aren't any on the wings). Once the decals are on, I'll close the ballot on which MkVb I do next and announce the result.

Thamms for looking.

• Like 5

20 hours ago, Beard said:

I have considered buying the Osprey book about 91 squadron (which I believe was written by the author of Jim Crow) but the cheapest copy I could find on Amazon was over £40 so I bought a couple of books about David Bowie instead.

..author Peter Hall lives just down the road from yourself (Ashford) - maybe he still has copies. If not the Hawkinge museum could still have one on the shelves at the 'regular' price..

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, charlie_c67 said:

So your MK VI is Italeri yes? How does it compare to more modern kits? Also seen the Smer one available, though not sure of the ancestry of it though...

The MKVI is AZ. I'm at work at the moment so can't give you links to comparisons but I can say that the Italeri kit doesn't have a very good reputation and the Smer on is old.

1 hour ago, FalkeEins said:

..author Peter Hall lives just down the road from yourself (Ashford) - maybe he still has copies. If not the Hawkinge museum could still have one on the shelves at the 'regular' price..

Thanks, @keefr22 found a copy on eB*y for £7.99 which I've ordered.

16 hours ago, charlie_c67 said:

So your MK VI is Italeri yes? How does it compare to more modern kits?

It doesn't really, it's a modification of their old Mk.Vb. All the criticisms of the Mk.V apply plus there's no bulkhead behind the pilot and the canopy has not been updated. It's worth looking out for at the right price as the transfer sheet looks good and you can use the extended wingtips and air intake on another kit.

Beard's AZ one looks much better.

John.

• Like 1