My endless Spitfire build - ready for 2019

9 hours ago, CedB said:

Looks good to me Simon.

I like H33 actually... Tamiya Flat Black goes on well but it is very, er, flat. With the Humbrol you seem to get some variation and, as long as it's not a grainy pot (which needs to be thrown away) I keep mine for 'special' :)

Of all the black paints, Humbrol 33 is (probably) my favourite too; although I find that, properly stirred, it is very flat. I'm going to use a very, very dark grey for the final coat, hence the need for a trip to Dover (shudder) to purchase some Tamiya NATO Black, unless my LHS has some Humbrol 182 left.

• Like 2

It's been raining here and I've not had much to do, other than having my hair cut and searching the loft for fridge magnets.

I've given the VB's underside a coat of Humbrol 33:

2017-08-30_03-56-56

While searching the loft, I established that I have no Tamiya NATO Black or Humbrol 182 (which appears to have been discontinued) so a trip to the LHS is in order, on payday, the owner will be pleased.

Also, fiddled with the AZ MkIX.

Cockpit bits and some plasticard, to stop the exhausts falling into the fuselage:

20170830_152208

The AZ MkIX has clipped wings so, to have un-clipped wings, you have to clip them:

20170830_155608

Clipped clipped on the left, un-clipped clipped on the right. Also, notice the remains of the sprue attachment points on the wing on the right. They are also on the underside:

20170830_155620

and on the bottom wing part:

20170830_155733

I've also glued the fuselage halves. Next, joining the wings to the fuselage.

Thanks for looking, and don't forget to vote on which MkVb I do next.

• Like 7

I think I've sorted the 'Spitfire seam' and the wings are on the AZ MkIX.

Top parts first:

20170830_190559

Then the bottom part:

20170830_190825

I'll let the glue holding the parts to the fuselage set before gliding the parts together.

Thanks for looking, and don't forget to vote on which MkVb I do next.

Edited by Beard
  • Like 6

Just now, CedB said:

Nice bit of clipping on the clipped wings Simon :) 

Thanks Ced, although you haven't seen the photograph that shows I took too much off one of the wings. Nothing a spot of filler won't cure, the same filler that'll sort out the seam I thought I'd sorted...😡

• Like 2

On 09/02/2017 at 11:40 PM, CedB said:

Sorry to hear about the Mk IX Simon but looking forward to paint, if the GB doesn't distract you! :)

Thank you Ced. I was unsuccessful in my quest for a very, very, very, very dark grey yesterday, maybe today I'll get some.

7 hours ago, AlexN said:

Stray FW 190 bomb through the hangar roof, was it Simon. ;)

I'm enjoying you Spitfire procession immensely :).

Cheers,

Alex.

No Fw190 would get anywhere near my airfield...

20170127_211256

The damage was caused by a heavy landing.

• Like 6
  • Haha 4

This is most definitely the thread to ask a Spitfire kit question...I may be the last modeller in the world for this to dawn on but I had a bit of a 'wobble' yesterday when noticing that everyone else's Spitfire builds (my current one is a vintage 'JE-J') resulted in the little lumps on the rear trailing edge of the horizontal stabilisers being on the top surface - while mine were on the under surface! No clues in the Instructions but after much checking against other builds, google images and even a full size reproduction Spitfire on display nearby, I think I have got the message that these lumps should be on the top and appear to be the trim tab actuators. (I pulled off the stabilisers and reversed them on my current build last night - thank goodness the cement co-operated!) Have I finally got it right? Do later kits make it clear which way up they go or does everybody know anyway?

Thanks.

Mike.

Mike,

I bet everyone has made the mistake you made, I know I have.

They are on the top. This photo, from the Spitfire site illustrates them well:

spitfi15.jpg

There's also, what I presume is, an access hatch on the underside of the fixed part.

More modern kits usually make it clear which way the elevators should be.

Edited by Beard
to correct spelling.
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 05/09/2017 at 09:22, Ventora3300 said:

...when noticing that everyone else's Spitfire builds (my current one is a vintage 'JE-J') resulted in the little lumps on the rear trailing edge of the horizontal stabilisers being on the top surface - while mine were on the under surface!

As this is precisely the sort of thing I'd do, I checked mine out. Amazingly, they're all ok. Either I assiduously followed the instructions or got lucky. I think I know which it is. I also noticed that Hobby Boss Spitfires don't have elevator trim tab actuators at all!

John.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

A 111 Squadron Spitfire like this is on my to-do list. The original plan was to brush Revell Anthracite but someone recommended cutting edge technology in the form of a rattle can of Volvo Dark Grey. Another option, in the old days, people used to tone down black paint for this purpose by adding in a little red. 

John.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, johnd said:

A 111 Squadron Spitfire like this is on my to-do list. The original plan was to brush Revell Anthracite but someone recommended cutting edge technology in the form of a rattle can of Volvo Dark Grey. Another option, in the old days, people used to tone down black paint for this purpose by adding in a little red. 

John.

I have some spare decals. If you want them, PM me.

Got the NATO Black!

2017-09-06_02-34-45

I'll start painting later today.

• Like 5

21 hours ago, rob85 said:

Your doing a cracking job here simon! Most of which I missed, sorry about that

Rob

Thanks Rob and don't be sorry.

12 minutes ago, Drift said:

The JU-H i posted above is Nato Black. 

I did JU-H a while ago and painted it using Humbrol 33, although I was happy at the time it's clear that a very, very, very, very, (etc.), dark grey works much better.

• Like 3

Bader's MkVa is done.

20170909_142936

20170909_142922

20170909_142916

The 111 squadron MkVb is getting there:

2017-09-09_03-11-25

Also assembled a bookcase, I've outgrown my other two...

20170909_123221

(The plastic box contains Spitfires that are awaiting small repairs.)

Thanks for looking.

• Like 13