Thunder Girl - Avro Vulcan

Nils

An image I did quite some years ago already I see, I'm not 100% satisfied with the light effects on the plane but for the moment this is how it looks. I might do some new renders of it some day. My idea was to depict the Vulcan now displayed at the Midland museum, as the crew took her for a last imagined spin, really letting her stretch her legs..  the second shot is more a shot without a plan :) 

In my opinion the Vulcan is still one of the most beautiful flying machines built.. alas I've never had the chance to see her 'in person'

(thanks to you guys I'm now a happy member of Flickr and will keep on posting never ending shots :) )

Thunder_girl

Vulcan_display

Edited by Nils
  • Like 7

Bentwater81tfw, thanks and I'll make a note of those roundels.

Keefr22, that must have been an awesome sight, I can almost sense the feel..

1 minute ago, Nils said:

Keefr22, that must have been an awesome sight, I can almost sense the feel..

It was, but not as good as the time I was flying a University of Wales Air Squadron Bulldog, & my instructor & I were treated to a Vulcan flying about 200 feet over the top of us! That was a sight I'll never, ever forget! :)

I like those a lot, particularly the second one – the Vulcan is beautifully positioned in the image.

You really must visit the Midland air museum, other than the Vulcan it has a surprisingly good collection. I believe that you can now pay a small sum to go into the cockpit of the Vulcan.

Keep 'em coming.

What programme did you use for the renders? Very nice they are!*

Regards,

Jason

*Now that I re-read this, it looks/sounds a bit 'Yoda-ish'. 'Beautiful renders are they!' I've been watching too many Star Wars movies lately, or should that be 'Too many Star Wars movies lately have I been watching.'.

Edited by Learstang
Additional comments added.
  • Like 2

Nowadys I work with Modo and usually some postrender work in Photoshop. Older models might have been started in 3D Studio Max. But todo, only Modo. I'm also trying more and more to building the whole sceneries as 3D, but it takes a lot work and I'm very slow in learning. Finally I feel I'm  starting getting a little better knowledge on how to.. These two shots are not, it's edited photos/painted background on both..

@ Jason, hehe I love StarWars too, I nearly got a job once as extra, in the Empire Strikes back film, episode 5, which was partially shot here in Norway, not far from me, but alas school came in the way :( 

Edited by Nils
  • Like 1

MAM or Newark museums will let you in the cockpit. My most endearing memory of the Vulcan was RIAT 81, when the Newark machine, XM594, was wrung out.

The crew had a crack at the Wilkinson Sword Trophy, with a near vertical climb out from a 2000 foot run, followed by as an elaborate a display as they were permitted under Queen's Regulations . Sitting under 4 Olympus 300s pushed through the wires is something else.

So the snow scenes were shot in Norway, Nils. Too bad you didn't get that job as an extra. I just finished watching 'The Empire Strikes Back' - my favourite of the whole lot. So you use Modo now. I use lower-end programmes like DAZ Studio for characters and Bryce for landscape work. They may be lower-end in terms of cost, but you can get some nice scenes out of them.

Regards,

Jason