Tornado F.2 Prototype

Right, calling this done (finally!). :blush:  Might pop a couple of pilots in at some point in the future but that’s for then. In the meantime here is ZA267 – the middle of three Tornado F.2 Prototypes – in a later configuration complete with the lengthened fuselage. This is my third plastic kit since taking up model making after a 25 year gap and my first jet since a Tamiya F-15 back in 1988.

As mentioned above, the kit is mostly OOB except for the Eduard PE set, scratch built parts, AMS pitot and custom decals. Paints are a right old mixture, starting with Halfords yellow filler-primer (terrible), Revell Aqua Colours (ranging from the good to awful), AK Extreme Metals (superb!), Alclad Mil-Spec Enamels (fantastic!), Mig Washes (great!), Alclad Aqua Gloss (great!) and Klear Kote Matte (still waiting to dry properly L). Almost everything was airbrushed. Ordinance is a mixed loadout based on available references (big thanks to Canbera Kid on this front!) and the nav lights are my first crude attempt at lighting.

This was a nightmare build. Nothing went as planned. Paintwork had to be redone, parts broke, fit was terrible, decals failed. That it didn’t end up ‘crashed’ in the bin was a miracle but what I learned that I can apply to my next builds made it all worthwhile. At some point I plan to build an MRCA prototype to go alongside but for now I’m taking a break from custom builds.

One thing I did learn from the build is that I really don’t get on that well with acrylics. I found the Aqua Colours to be extremely user friendly but a bit too random in application. I had a similar experience on my spitfire builds but decided to persevere. My brief attempt with Vallejo was even worse, resulting in a clogged airbrush and a fun packed clean up. By comparison, the Mil-Spec enamels were a revelation. Yes, they brought back childhood memories of paint fumes and sticky fingers but in terms of control and results they were great. Same for the AK Metalisers.

I also learned a whole world of respect for the manufacturers of decals given the challenges I found trying to create my own. And finally, I learned the value of patience, perseverance and a well maintained airbrush :D

IMG_3680_zps97n3db0j.jpg

IMG_3679_zpssuqc6dqb.jpg

IMG_3677_zpslc8u9b3i.jpg

IMG_3674_zpsbrrichce.jpg

IMG_3667_zpsg9cdc3ct.jpg

• Like 41

6 minutes ago, ScottC said:

Cracking build of the Mighty Fin, which kit did you use ?

ScottC

Thanks Scott

It was the 1/48 Italeri ADV. Definately not a fun kit to play with. Looking forward to tucking into a nice new Academy or Hasegawa now :D

Hello,Nocoolname - She may have caused a few battles along the way but you certainly won the war with this magnificent looking 'Tornado F-2'.I love the quality and detail of the painting and finishing work.Well done indeed.

😉👍 All the best,Paul.

• Like 1

See you've chosen a rare subject and when everybody here has finished commenting you'll look at the kit after a period of time and say that's a goodun which it is.

steve.

• Like 1

Thanks for all your comments folks! They're really appreciated and help encourage me to work even harder on my next build. :)

I'm still trying to decide on what my next build will be. I was thinking of the F-16 Wild Weasel but have a hankering to build the F-4J "Vandy" Black Bunny :hmmm:

• Like 1

That's really nice. Love the work you've put in on those stores - it makes a big difference to the overall look. I was about to say something about Tornado F2s having a shorter rear fuselage than F3s, but I thought I had better check, and then found a photo of ZA267 with the later F3 style back end, so good on yer.

Chris

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CT Modeller said:

That's really nice. Love the work you've put in on those stores - it makes a big difference to the overall look. I was about to say something about Tornado F2s having a shorter rear fuselage than F3s, but I thought I had better check, and then found a photo of ZA267 with the later F3 style back end, so good on yer.

Chris

Thanks Chris! About the fuselage, 267 was an odd one in that it appears that it started with a shortened fuselage which was then lengthened with what I can only assume to be a 'plug' but it was still different from later versions with the 'steel band' further forward than on later models. The stores were a right pain, especially since references of what was carried were really scarce. I could find images of four different versions of Skyflash, two of which had the photo-tracking markings and I picked one of those. I also found references for both two and four sidewinders of different variants along with different drop tanks. They even had different coloured sets of pylons. Hence my build is a 'mish-mash' of what I could find.

Very nice and interesting, this F.2 prototype! :thumbsup: Great job till the end with your own decals.

I used to have a project of one of the firsts Tornado prototypes in white and red colors. May be one day..!

Well done, Nocoolname

Lolo

• Like 1