RAF Museum Lysander to be Restored

Marvel Onkey

I was at the RAF Museum at Cosford yesterday- one of the staff told me that the Lysander from Hendon has recently been delivered to Cosford to be given some TLC before being displayed there. Not sure how long that will take as I was told they haven't decided how much work is needed yet.

Since I was last at Cosford a couple of years ago the Me-262 and FW-190 are back in the War in the Air display, along with the Ju-88 and a Me-109G from Hendon. The elevators and ailerons were off the Ju-88 and packed up on the ground, didn't manage to find out why.

The Catalina is now outside the War in the Air hall to make room for the Defiant which is out of storage and being restored and was looking rather nice in nightfighter trim, albeit with the wings off at the moment (the inside of the wings have been painted interior green, btw).

Some of this might be old news to many, but it was new news to me...

• Like 1

sounds like an awful lot of stuff is heading north from the BoB hall in Hendon, anyone know if this is a permanent transfer or what might possibly replace the items down south?

Would never surprise me if Hendon closed, there is a lot of land there which would fetch a pretty penny for development.

• Like 1

Hendon is being revamped for 2018. Not sure what will return there, but I agree the more Cosford has, the happier I will be.

I have a horrible feeling that Hendon is going all 'interpretive' and touch screen.

Trevor 

• Like 1

It will be interesting to see how the transformation turns out. Looking at the site the other week I just hope that it will be finished by April.

It looks likely that there may well be fewer airframes at Hendon. I must confess to being 'old school': the smell of old aircraft, the medal and uniform displays in the galleries, the old dioramas etc. But if it is the case that those are no longer a draw and more interactive and virtual content really is more effective at appealing to the current and next generation of visitors then so be it. 

I'll just have to travel to Cosford more frequently! 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Afternoon, All.

As I'm sure many on here already know, Hendon's old Battle of Britain hall is currently being converted into a visitor's centre (probably in an effort to encourage people to spend more money during their visit). The grassed area that previously contained the Spitfire and Hurricane on poles will soon be a kid's play area (I wonder if this area was stipulated by the local council or not?). The newly resurfaced car park is fairly close to being finished, from what I could see of it about three weeks ago.   

I will be interested to see what the changes for the RAF's 100th anniversary will bring, but I have a feeling that it will tick the old school-museum visitors off quite royally. Having said that, it has always struck me that "mum, dad and two kids" are more prevalent at Hendon than the aviation-enthusiasts. I guess that Hendon has to cater to the majority of its attendees, like most other modern museums.   

What do ye reckon?

Chris. 

• 1 year later...

Same is happening to the National Air & Space museum in DC in that it's becoming more of an interactive/learning museum rather than an enthusiasts museum. Just as Cosford is one of the go to places in the UK for the aficionado, so the NASM Udvar Hazy at Dulles Airport in Virginia is for the USA. Been to Cosford 3 times in the last 4 years and Hendon twice. Love them both!