Seventy Second Scale Modeller magazine??

phat trev

I am sure I saw a set of Magazines called Seventy Second Scale Modeller at an airshow once? Can anyone clarify this?  I could kick myself for not buying them for reference, particularly as there was a great artical covering Gloster Javelin 1/72 builds. 

• 2 weeks later...

I wondered if someone who had one of these issues might be persuaded to scan Andy's article. I'd be keen to have a look at it, having become the proud owner of an Airfix FAW.9 not so long ago. I've got to admit that I can't recall these mags though I bought the odd SAM from the early days.

Steve.

• 1 month later...
On 07/13/2017 at 10:37 PM, theplasticsurgeon said:

This and a corresponding 48 scale mag, edited by Neil Robinson.

Started June 1998, and lasting for 7 copies, until they merged into Scale Aircraft Modeller. Javelin was 3rd or 4th mag.

48SM & 72SM merged to become Aircraft Modeller International - AMI, not SAM. Neil Robinson moved to take over as editor at SAM, AMI was edited by Ian Hartup who had previously assisted Neil with 48SM and 72SM.

• Like 1

IIRC, it(72ndSM) was originally titled "Small Scale Aircraft(or similar)". I knew that Neil had one for the 48th scale builders as well. I'm not sure when it was re-titled to "Seventy-Second Scale Aircraft". I do know that I have several issues of this unique publication; I just don't remember which issue numbers. They are, of course, in a box in my garage somewhere. It had a lot of good articles as I recall.

• 4 weeks later...

I still have a few copies and even had a couple of articles published, was not a bad magazine, but was probably a bit too niche at the time. 

S3M (Seventy Second Scale Modeller) and QSM were available in a number of shops around the north, I went with Neil on a couple of his trips to deliver them, we went to Sheffield, Chesterfield and Derby on one and Bridlington, Scarborough and Hull(?) on another, it was also available in Whitley Bay, so world wide coverage!!!

Both it and QSM were great fun to write for, often articles came out of a phone call because he had an 'idea'. It was a real pity when Neil moved onto a permanent paying job, but no one could blame him for wanting security. It carried on as a combined publication for a few issues but in truth it was full time job for next to no money and no one can sustain that.

• Like 3

I don't know that we ever saw these in New Zealand, if we did I don't recall it & I didn't buy any, otherwise I'd still have them (what me, a hoarder?;) ) I'm grateful to Chris (Dogsbody) for scanning the Javelin articles & emailing them too me, when I find the time I'll turn them into a pdf. If those articles are typical of what was in 72nd Scale Modeller, I'm sorry I missed out on them. Mind you, by the dates above, it was when I was in full on having a family mode & I frequently didn't get near a book shop let alone buy mags for months at a time. :(

Steve.

15 hours ago, dogsbody said:

I bought mine off the shelf at a local vendor, up here in the north of this fair province.

You had an uncannily discerning local vendor then.  I had to get mine by subscription even in the UK.

Also worth looking out for from the same stable and around the same time were some one-offs by Neil Robinson: one was on modelling the Hurricane in 1/48.

Edited by Seahawk

Recently came across my bundle complete set(around 14 ) of Aircraft Modeller magazine. Edited by Spencer Pollard I recall(I think). Not sure what to do with them yet. 

10 hours ago, Seahawk said:

You had an uncannily discerning local vendor then.  I had to get mine by subscription even in the UK.

Also worth looking out for from the same stable and around the same time were some one-offs by Neil Robinson: one was on modelling the Hurricane in 1/48.

When you live way up here, you definitely do need a good vendor. This guy kept his small store chock-full of all sorts of magazines, including lots of things from the UK. It has really dropped off the last few years as there was trouble with his Canadian supplier. The staples are still there but not so much of the more obscure types.

Chris

• 2 years later...

I had an article published in 72SM.  It was a Buccaneer built as a desk top model for a colleague at Waddington who had previously been a Bucc Nav.

I lost my copy during a house move.  I can't remember which issue it was in but I would be very grateful if anyone has a spare copy, or can scan the article for me.  

I appreciate the "hold" on buy-and-sell at the moment but, whilst the world is temporarily shut down, could someone find the time to have a look?

Thanks in advance,

Trevor

I should have all the copies of Quarter Scale Modeller and 1/72 Scale modeller as I had subscriptions to both. However I am not with them at present and will not be 'till this pestilence passes.

If you are still looking for a scan of the article then, which I remember as I was doing an index of them a couple of months ago. I will be glad to send you one.

Edited by dromia

On 3/31/2020 at 5:12 PM, klubman01 said:

I had an article published in 72SM.  It was a Buccaneer built as a desk top model for a colleague at Waddington who had previously been a Bucc Nav.

I lost my copy during a house move.  I can't remember which issue it was in but I would be very grateful if anyone has a spare copy, or can scan the article for me.  

I appreciate the "hold" on buy-and-sell at the moment but, whilst the world is temporarily shut down, could someone find the time to have a look?

I remember that article,  I'll look thru my copies tonight.