1-72 Heinkel He-280 V2

for some reason unbeknown to moi, I have missed this thread until now.

Nice cooking!   

Now I'm just waiting for you to start scratch building using various pieces of dried pasta, pulses, and herbs.   Maybe that would make for a nice alternative group build sometime.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 22/08/2017 at 4:24 AM, Pete in Lincs said:

Coming soon, forget the blowtorch,

How to make baked Alaska using a

variable voltage soldering iron.

Nice modelling, Nigel, BTW.

So .......hmm...... Baked Alaska ...i think thats what is called Bombe Alaska downunder ...hmmmmm

Could the HE -280 Have bombed Alaska as in dropping explosive bombs ?

Or am i being too silly now...most likely i think

:dalek:

• Haha 1

On 22.08.2017 at 0:44 AM, hendie said:

Nice cooking!   

Now I'm just waiting for you to start scratch building using various pieces of dried pasta, pulses, and herbs.  

Tccccc! Silence! So you can push such producers as MiG or AMMO on release of filters or washing on the basis of soy sauce or ketchup!

:):):)

Further I dread to think before what use else natural liquids in a modelism the imagination especially anxious with naturalism can reach   producers!

😆😆😆

B.R.

Serge

• Like 1

I have got a bit more done over the last few days. The main gear legs are covered in flash and the seams needed some serious cleaning up, its also difficult to know where the sprue stops and the part starts:

P1150261_zpsaphs5unv.jpg

There isn't much left on the sprues now but there are these parts which are not mentioned in the instructions (although they do appear in the sprue number in diagram numbered 28) so are something of a puzzle:

P1150262_zpse4ge0qom.jpg

When cutting of the main gear legs I erred on the side of caution and then used my hand vice as a file guide to clean up the mounting pin:

P1150263_zpslmmxb3hn.jpg

The corresponding holes in the wings were rather shallow so I drilled them out until I could just start to see light through them when held up to the window:

P1150264_zpsyspn2ysz.jpg

Here are the cleaned up legs, I left the seam intact on the anti-rotation strut as I think its meant to be a weld seam like on the front fork. I have deepened the holes for the retraction struts as they were rather indistinct. I have also made some replacements for the retraction struts:

P1150272_zps6j673iux.jpg

I made them over long to give something to hold while they are being painted.

Next I finished off the masking for the cockpit:

P1150273_zpsf1tsmatw.jpg

Here are all the finished parts destined for some RLM02:

P1150274_zps5iouk9ax.jpg

They all got a coat of grey primer and after a quick inspection I applied the RLM02. Here's how it came out on the cockpit:

P1150275_zpskvdetlek.jpg

I think the next job is to attach the front canopy and then mask the engine internals.

Bye for now,

Nigel

• Like 7

Those kit undercarriage legs look bad. Would it not be a plan to use your undoubted skills with brass to make a better set?

Martian

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Martian Hale said:

Those kit undercarriage legs look bad. Would it not be a plan to use your undoubted skills with brass to make a better set?

completely agree Martian - a couple of pieces of telescoping tubing would soon sort it out.

• Like 1

Ah, thanks Chris, that solves the mystery. I'll stick then in my spares box now.

I am quite happy with the main gear legs after they were cleaned up, the retraction struts were easier to make from scratch rather than using the kit parts but the legs are fine in kit plastic.

• Like 3

You really shouldn't encourage me. Here are some of my recent dishes, this is roast and sun-dried tomato risotto:

P1150256_zpsis52bg2k.jpg

Chicken with a creamy mushroom sauce and saffron roast potatoes:

P1150259_zpsgtioonq9.jpg

Pepper encrusted lamb chops with Greek salad and crispy potatoes:

P1150260_zpszeznxw8m.jpg

Twice baked Roquefort souffle:

P1150265_zps3onioh6j.jpg

Last night I made this so called Japanese prawns from Nigella's "Kitchen" book:

P1150276_zpsaklu6xat.jpg

I think my favourite was the Roquefort souffle, that's from Delia's "How to Cook - Book 1".

• Like 10

27 minutes ago, Nigel Heath said:

Here are some of my recent dishes

All is forgiven. Some splendid gastronomy. I like the look of the twice-baked souffle particular-like! :lol:

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Nigel Heath said:

Chicken with a creamy mushroom sauce and saffron roast potatoes:

:o!

Saffron roast potatoes..

:Tasty:!

The Heinkel is, of course, coming along very nicely :thumbsup2: .

Saffron roast potatoes.... :heart: 

Best regards

TonyT

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Wicked child! You have now made me feel very hungry indeed and will be receiving and invoice from Planet Wibble for the curry I am now going to have to order as a result!

Martian

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Nice work there Rick.

You have now made me feel very hungry indeed and will be receiving and invoice from Planet Wibble for the curry I am now going to have to order as a result!

Its good to know that Planet Wibble does home (planet) delivery.

• Like 2

On 8/20/2017 at 2:42 PM, Nigel Heath said:

P1150247_zpss9jyfebi.jpg

Nothing too critical though as the gap was filled in with a bit of extra tape. Right, now to break out the airbrush.

Bye for now,

Nigel

Hi Nigel, what is this incredibly useful large punch set? 

A

The punch set is from UMM in the States. Here is their extensive range. I have three of their sets to cover the range of holes from 0.6 to 12mm. I did have to send one back which did not punch cleanly but it was replaced with no quibbles. Highly useful tools I certainly would not want to be without.

To get the rear of the canopy to sit better I took my sanding operations quite a way up the inside of the glazing

P1150289_zps8xye84lc.jpg

Obviously that meant it needed polishing back to clarity, here's how it looked before starting with the Micromesh:

P1150290_zpsbfxnhd3j.jpg

Here's how it looked a little while later:

P1150291_zpsreihshiu.jpg

Next the front canopy. I thought the back edge would be best done with some curved masking so I laid out and marked up using some 6mm tape:

P1150292_zpskefff7zc.jpg

I then used my compass cutter to extract a narrow strip:

P1150293_zpsovo7p8dr.jpg

The canopy is of course not a true cone but the natural give in the tape gives a little wiggle room.

After masking the outside I also masked the inside and then fixed it in place with five minute epoxy:

P1150294_zpsdylczyuf.jpg

While that was hardening up I got on with some detail painting, first the chrome plated parts of the legs and retractors:

P1150295_zpsjmscptq9.jpg

Then the red anti-slip marks on the wheels:

P1150296_zpstcxkdqie.jpg

Next I set about masking the engine openings. After lining them first with some tape I used one of my punch sets to make four tubular slugs of foam:

P1150297_zpssk9rgj5e.jpg

Those were then inserted into the openings:

P1150298_zpsrhofroyh.jpg

The masking was finished off with a blob of Blu Tack:

P1150299_zps7utrmlas.jpg

The net result is a nice secure set of masking, this is the best method I have found for these instances.

I just started cooking a lamb shank for my dinner while the photos were downloading, having got that under way should get a bit more done before having to call it a day.

Bye for now,

Nigel

• Like 8

Nice work on thinning and polishing the canopy Nigel :thumbsup2: .

Those things have a tendency to crack in my clumsy fingers :(.

I like the 'Home made Cheesy Wotsit' engine masking technique.

A lot better use of them than building a Cheesy Wotsit 'Stonehenge':

IMG_5829.jpg

:thumbsup2: 

Lamb shanks..... :eat:

Mrs. T often puts lamb shank on a very slow cook in the morning. This involves all kinds of veggies, a sort of stew, in a huge cauldron. Leaves it from around 8am to 6pm. Fills the house with a delicious smell all day :Tasty:.

Bones out, then back in the pan and I put a few dumplings in, just before dinner. Lovely with a touch of Henderson's Relish (Worcester sauce is nice, but a bit too sweet for this one). Such gorgeous grub :).

Hope yours turns out well, looking forward to more Heinkel in g. 

Best regards

TonyT

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Bones out, then back in the pan and I put a few dumplings in, just before dinner.

Great idea about the dumplings and taking the meat off the bone. My recipe is a spicy Asian style dish with chillies and onions so I don't think dumplings would be quite right but I will take the meat and separate from the bone and any remaining fat.

Next up was drilling a series of 0.4mm holes, three for the aerial wires and two on the underside in the main gear wells for some brake lines:

P1150300_zpszrgmzubn.jpg

Masking the rear canopy was a much easier prospect than the front in fact the forward part was exactly completed with a strip of 6mm tape:

P1150303_zpsemszgwwu.jpg

However when I tried to temporarily fix it in place ready for painting it proved to be a tight fit and dislodged the front. I mixed up some more epoxy and reapplied, this time with a clamp to slightly spring it over the coaming and hopefully get a better general fit:

P1150302_zpspd5538dp.jpg

The last job of the day was to make the pitot tube using 0.3 and 0.5mm nickel silver tube and using the kit part as a pattern:

P1150304_zpszrkluxnh.jpg

I just have to attach the tail fins and I think this will be ready for some primer.

Bye for now

Nigel

• Like 7

Mrs. T like spicy Chilli type meals Nigel. I'm afraid I love the taste, but for some reason for the last couple of years; the old stomach becomes too acidic after them :(.

I'll ask her what she puts in her lamb dish. Send it in a PM. She's from NZ; I believe that's the origin of a lot of her lamb recipes.

That clamping looks both decisive and scary :o! I think the canopy is now being taught a lesson for daring to spring off.

As I wrote last time, I have a terrible record of them cracking/spraining (going slightly white) or just plain snapping when this kind of thing needs to be done.

It takes a gentle approach to coax them on like this :thumbsup2: 

The pitot looks superb.

Best regards 

TonyT

• Like 1
  • Sad 1