1-72 Heinkel He-280 V2

The pit is looking rather tasty.

Thanks Martin.,

Hello Nigel 

I had nice little breakfast morning . Egg cheese Biscuit, Potato Hash brown ( yes homemade ) And Tomato from the garden 

Rick

Hey Rick, where have you been?

That breakfast does look good. Nice work.

This week I seem to be have been cooking many prawn curries, this one with okra rice was particularly good:

P1150112_zpshjb2osbq.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I've been quietly savouring this He 280 build Nigel, it's going at a very pleasant pace and turning out very well :).

I'm forced out of lurking by Rick's gorgeous fresh looking tomatoes and your okra rice :eat:.

All of a sudden my cheese sarnies don't seem as exciting :confused:.

Best regards

TonyT

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Ah, hmm, yes it is but I have now got two of these for holding and cleaning my airbrush. I have one for cellulose paints and one for white spirit thinned paints. My Meccano holder has been retired after many years of faithful service..

• Like 4

With the fuselage buttoned up I took stock of things. There are these circular features on the spine which will disappear during filling and sanding operations so I measured their diameters and made a note on the instructions:

P1150146

As mentioned before the front wheel well has some serious gapage, at its worst at the front end:

P1150147

There is also a nasty gap at the rear of the cockpit:

P1150148

These were best dealt with using a mix of white Milliput:

P1150149

P1150150

I dealt with the remaining joint line with an application of Squadron green filler:

P1150151

As an aside I keep the green filler in a small glass jar.  It had started to dry out a little so I revived it by adding some cellulose thinners:

P1150152

There is no need to mix it, the solvent diffuses in over a period of a few days.

Setting the fuselage aside to harden up over night I turned my attention to the engines. Only at this point did I realise there are actually two engine options:

P1150153

Parts 5, 7, 9 and 11 aren't mentioned in the instructions so can go in the spares box.

At this point I also discovered there was an error in the instructions. Note parts 30 and 31:

P1150154

The instructions say to use part 31 for the exhaust nozzle but I does not fit the specified engine sides:

P1150155

Its obvious that part 30 should be used instead:

P1150157

Good thing too as its a better looking part.

I don't know if it makes much difference but I numbed the engine parts as a precaution:

P1150156

I think tomorrow will be mainly cracking on with the engines and wings.

Bye for now,

Nigel

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On 7/14/2017 at 3:02 AM, Nigel Heath said:

After my Sycamore build this is going to be my next project:

P1150041_zpsyuxokyxn.jpg

The kit consists of two grey runners:

P1150042_zpsxbusmuum.jpg

The surface engraving and detailing is very nice but typical of short run technology the gates are quite heavy, there are no location features, no  numbering of parts on the runners (although that is covered by the instructions) and there is a bit of flash here and there.

There are two clear parts and a crisply printed decal sheet:

P1150043_zpsajg3cpfn.jpg

The instructions look clear enough:

P1150044_zpsr2rmnhhw.jpg

P1150045_zpszwd3llxv.jpg

Note the two tail options.

Here are the scheme options, I think the one in overall RLM 02 might have existed as the prototype, the rest are what ifs:

P1150046_zpszgzefch1.jpg

I think I am most taken with the one second from the top which features a cream coloured underside in RLM 99 which I've never come across before. Its also the one in the box art.

The first thing I did was whip out the scissors and sticky tape and convert the annoying end opening box into a more user friendly one with a nice lid:

P1150047_zps40skvetc.jpg

Bye for now,

Nigel

Looking forward to this. Must look out for the kit locally.

I think the cream colour for the option you chose might well be the very late war "dodgy 76". Its almost a very pale RLM 02 grey green and was seen on many Bf109K's and Fw190D's. Years ago I used Tamiya XF22 RLM Gray with dollops of white to suit and surprisingly it came out with a creamy yellow tinge just like the pictures. Of course by now the accepted description has probably changed dramatically or my memory is shot. Of course since its Luft 46 it could easily be cream :o)  Anyway Hope this helps if you havent already got that far.

• Like 2

The raw wings needed quite a bit of work in the tidy up department:

P1150158

Once cleaned up I glued them together using plenty of clamping action:

P1150159

Here are the wings after removing the clamps along with the tail plan and its support and the engine sides ready for paint with masked bond faces:

P1150160

The wings have no mounting features so I thought I had better improvise something of my own. I drilled out the wings and fuselage ready for some 1mm brass rod:

P1150161

P1150162

The two rods go right through the fuselage and extend a fair way into the wings for a nice strong set up:

P1150163

Next I cleaned up all the filler, added the tail support and drilled out for the guns:

P1150164

Before adding the wings I drilled out for the pitot tube (0.5mm):

P1150165

Wings added:

P1150166

Then the tail support got an application of filler:

P1150167

Now my attentions turned to the engines, here are all the parts after primer application:

P1150168

A quick inspection showed that all was good and I proceeded with the top coats:

P1150169

Then the engine fronts received a black Flory wash to bring out the fan detail, here before and after:

P1150170

After unmasking the edges I could proceed with engine assembly:

P1150171

There were some slight gaps at the wing roots which I treated with PPP:

P1150172

After completing the engine assemblies the seams received an application of filler:

P1150173

While that was drying I cleaned up the filler on the tail support ready to fit the tail plane:

P1150174

The surplus engine and tail components can now go in the spares box:

P1150175

With all the cockpit detailing I want to pose the canopy open. I just wanted to check which of my saws had the thinnest blade, the JLC one came out at 0.13mm

P1150176

One of my ordinary razor saws was more than twice as thick:

P1150177

Right the JLC it was, here is the finished result:

P1150178

Here I have fitted the tail but unfortunately the open canopy does sit rather high on the fuselage due to the thickness of the plastic:

P1150179

To replace the lost circular features on the spine I had a look in my PE spares box, these looked ideal:

P1150180

After pre-bending them on my cutting mat I got them installed:

P1150182

To get the canopy to sit lower I tried sanding off a chamfer to the frame line:

P1150183

But it still sits too high, clearly more drastic action will be required:

P1150184

Following the debate over on The Baron's thread about Bloody Marys, I made myself a Virgin Mary:

P1150181

I also made these today - Irish oaten soda bread rolls, of course I had to check a warm one out of the oven for quality control purposes:

P1150185

Bye for now,

Nigel

• Like 7

I have got a bit more done today. After cleaning up the filler on the engines I applied a little PPP to the internal joints:

P1150186

Those internal joint are always tricky to deal with but I have now hand retouched the RLM02.

Next I mixed up some talc and extra thin superglue to make a strong, adherent filler to fill the edge of the coaming and the slight indents on the engine joints:

P1150187

Here is how those looked after being tidied up:

P1150188

After some internal paint touch ups the engines were ready to to fit so I got that done as the last job of the day:

P1150189

Not a bad days work there.

Bye for now,

Nigel

• Like 8

3 hours ago, Nigel Heath said:

Not a bad days work there.

Indeed not. Purposeful strides forwards and all that.

You've certainly earned one of those Bloody Marys with that instalment Nigel.:thumbsup2:

• Like 1

As has been said before: you can never have too many clamps :D

Looking great, Nigel - starting to look like an He-280 at last :)

Cheers,

Alex.

This is likely to be one of my last comments on BM, so it's fitting that it's one in one of my favourite builders' threads. I will still continue to look on, but not giving myself any further opportunity to wedge my foot any further inside my overly long beak.

• Like 1

On 15/07/2017 at 6:11 PM, Nigel Heath said:

I have made a proper start today including doing a spot of research. It turns out that nine prototypes were produced but it never went operational as the Me 262 was the favoured choice of the RLM. It still has the distinction of being the first jet fighter. Among the finds was this cutaway drawing:

P1150055_zpsg5avsedz.jpg

I was hoping to find some cockpit detail but the above does not show much but it does show there should be an aerial mast which is not included in the kit.

Starting on the cockpit I found there was an issue with the instructions, if the IP support was glued right at the forward edge of the floor the instruments would be way too far forward. Instead it should be fixed a good 3mm rearwards:

P1150050_zpsasehy8cr.jpg

I made good use of the extra plastic by using it to reinforce the support using some 2.5mm square strip:

P1150052_zpsfjebzwsj.jpg

The cockpit is rather basic and is missing the side consoles. I drew a little sketch of the sort of thing required:

P1150057_zpsus6btdxt.jpg

I cut out the sides first using some scrap 0.6mm card, I try to be economical with my material utilisation:

P1150053_zpsgzfbzsdr.jpg

Here are the completed consoles which are a nice snug fit with the seat:

P1150054_zpstohhypta.jpg

I have also added some side wall details using 0.5mm square strip:

P1150056_zpsiacr3hxp.jpg

That's it for today more to come tomorrow.

Bye for now,

Nigel

That looks great Nigel. The scrap plasticard you were using, were the holes punched out? They look very neat. I bought some cheap punches and they bend the plastic something rotten.

excellent detailing by the way.

johnny.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Nigel Heath said:

Yes they were punched out, it was a test sample provided with a set of punches from UUM after I returned a set I was less than happy with. I think it's this set.

Great progress Nigel :thumbsup2:  The use of talc and thin CA on the extreme fragile edges is duly noted; it clearly works well. It's an area I've had trouble with on e.g. radial engine cowlings presented in kits as two separate parts (E.g. Special Hobby Lockheed Vega).

The brass rod spars are also a very good decision.

Was it the UMM punch set that you returned, or was the UMM set good?

It's early here (5.08am) and I'm easily confused at this time of day :confused: 

I had seen that set, and the one of even smaller punches on the website. They had been considered for the old Christmas list :santa: . I would like to make sure to get good value for Mrs. T's hard earned money :)

Best regards

TonyT

PS: Virgin Mary and hot rolls, yum :Tasty:

• Like 2

Was it the UMM punch set that you returned, or was the UMM set good?

The punch set I returned was from UMM but as it didn't punch cleanly, I had a dialogue with them and as long as I returned the faulty set they were OK to replace it with an new set which I am happy to report punches very cleanly. It was a bit of hassle but overall UMM gave good customer service.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1