Panther G + Scenery

Hi,

Here we have a little scene with two Armourfast 1/72 Panther G's. This was created so I could play with Mig's weathering washes as it is the first time I have tried to use them. I would really appreciate any feedback and I would like to hear of any improvements you think I should make. I'm happy with how its going but I could do with a little bit of help adding those final touches to make it look like a real war scene. I am planning on adding a few bushes in front of the tan/brown Panther and maybe one between the tanks to make it look like it is more of a woodland scene (any suggestions of where to get good but cheap 1/72 bushes would be amazing). The thing in front of the green/brown Panther is supposed to be where a mortar has landed, I'm not sure I like how it looks. 

My biggest issue is making the green/brown Panther look as though it has been properly knocked out. As you can see from the pictures below there are two shots that have penetrated, one in the hull and one in the side of the turret. The idea was that it has only just been shot and so the bare metal would still be showing, hence the silvery colour to the holes, however I'm not sure it looks right. What do you think? I am very happy with the damage from the ricochet's though. With the dark colour of the tank it was hard to make the washes show up properly. However on the tan/brown Panther the washes show up much better.

I think I might also add some German soldiers to liven up the scene a bit and I will add a bit of mud to the tracks on both tanks. 

I wasn't really going with historical accuracy with this one, just trying to learn some new techniques and skills. 

So if you have any suggestions, it would be greatly appreciated :)

(Hopefully the pictures show up now, apologies to those who couldn't see them before)

DSC_0056

DSC_0055

DSC_0057

DSC_0058

NOW WITH BUSHES

DSC_0066

DSC_0065

Thanks for looking

Shaun :D

Edited by ShaunJ25
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

I think that you need to read the various threads on here with regards to posting photos using Photobucket as a hosting site. Using PB is a no go.

John.

Yeah just noticed. Woopy-doo

• Like 1

Booooo! I was really looking forward to seeing the pics. Don't worry, a lot of us are in the same tank. (I mean boat)

I 'lost' a few hundred photos because of PB but managed to get them back and upload them to a different site. I personally use HostingPics now. It's all in French but even if you know no French it's laid out logically and it doesn't take long to work out how to use it. It's free and as far as I can tell there's no limit to how many photos you can upload. You can also upload up to 40 at a time if you have good broadband.... which I don't.

So, I hope that you can get the photos sorted.

I can give you a bit of advice on trees though. Have a look on the internet for the 'how to's' There's loads out there, some bad, some excellent.

I'd advise you to look at my diorama 'Carry on Regardless' to see how I make my trees, but I haven't had time to replace the photos!

However, I am just about to start building trees (1/35th scale) for my current diorama build and I will be using the same technique with some slight improvements. The same method can be used for 1/72nd. You're welcome to come and look, ask questions etc.

Rearguards,

Badder

Edited by Badder
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, Badder said:

Booooo! I was really looking forward to seeing the pics. Don't worry, a lot of us are in the same tank. (I mean boat)

I 'lost' a few hundred photos because of PB but managed to get them back and upload them to a different site. I personally use HostingPics now. It's all in French but even if you know no French it's laid out logically and it doesn't take long to work out how to use it. It's free and as far as I can tell there's no limit to how many photos you can upload. You can also upload up to 40 at a time if you have good broadband.... which I don't.

So, I hope that you can get the photos sorted.

I can give you a bit of advice on trees though. Have a look on the internet for the 'how to's' There's loads out there, some bad, some excellent.

I'd advise you to look at my diorama 'Carry on Regardless' to see how I make my trees, but I haven't had time to replace the photos!

However, I am just about to start building trees (1/35th scale) for my current diorama build and I will be using the same technique with some slight improvements. The same method can be used for 1/72nd. You're welcome to come and look, ask questions etc.

Rearguards,

Badder

Apparently Flickr works so I might try that and see that happens.

I was looking to buy bushes as I think ones that can be bought will be better than ones that I can make but its worth having a look. 

Yeah Flickr works pretty well, plus its in English haha

Edited by ShaunJ25
  • Like 1

Hi Shaun,

I think the bushes are quite good, for 1/72nd anyway. I don't think they'd stand up so well in 1/35th. A bit of advice for the mortar crater.... the rim would be made up of loose earth, stones and clods of soil and bits of turf. It wouldn't look smooth like chocolate mousse. Give it a coat of dilute PVA and scatter grit, sand crushed up rock and bits of grass over it. Coat the inside of the crater too, but just have 'loose' earth in there.

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Badder said:

Hi Shaun,

I think the bushes are quite good, for 1/72nd anyway. I don't think they'd stand up so well in 1/35th. A bit of advice for the mortar crater.... the rim would be made up of loose earth, stones and clods of soil and bits of turf. It wouldn't look smooth like chocolate mousse. Give it a coat of dilute PVA and scatter grit, sand crushed up rock and bits of grass over it. Coat the inside of the crater too, but just have 'loose' earth in there.

Rearguards,

Badder

Yeah I was quite happy with the bushes as a first attempt.

Thanks for the advice on the mortar crater, I'll give that a go, not sure why I didnt think of that tbh haha

• Like 1