Posting this up as these are just so good if you like Gundam and love the Zaku you need to get some of these heads. Ifand you live in Japan this is the kind of thing that come out of a vending machines for about 500 yen. I picked the set of three from ebay.

They are basically about 1/40ish scale Zaku heads of the standard Zaku, one of the tristar Zakus and Chars Zaku. Very simple but quite well detailed and look fantastic.

So here are a few pictures of what you get......

2017-07-12_05-54-25

Edited by rockpopandchips
  • Like 1

20170712_203237

20170712_203752

20170712_204134

20170712_204209

Size comparison.

Hand...

20170712_204534

Next to a 1/100 scale head of Sinanju.

20170712_204330

And next to a 1/350 scale Zaku.

20170712_204422

They would look even better panel lined and flat coated, i will be picking one and having a go at scratch building a full Zaku bust.....gulp.....help....were to start?

I have a lot to think about and plan so dont expect anything to happen any time soon.

They are great kits and look fantastic on the shelf as they are.

• Like 4

Built Char's Zaku head and made use of the spare parts. The head is only bluetacked on but you get the idea and lots of room for a rotating motor and LED mono eye.........( not that i have the first idea how to make these)

20170713_100111

20170713_100059

20170713_100127

I think this one is going to become the full bust. Need to work out the scale for some crew, 1/42 or 1/48 might do the job.

Wanted a cheep figure in each size.

• Like 2

Ok I have some Math for you all to check.  Now don’t run off just yet is Gundam based around working out the scale of the Exceed Zaku heads so I can get some figures to fit a dio for one or two of them.

So here we go…..I have worked out by looking at pictures and models that a 12.5 Zaku heads fit into the total hight of a Zaku II, so if I multiply the size of my Exceed head ( 4.3cm) by 12.5 I will get the total size of an Exceed Zaku if I built one ( 4.3X12.5 = 53.75 cm). (Now that would be a very cool thing to see.:idea: No No stop that!)

A full size Zaku is 18m tall so my head is just about 1/35 scale ( 53.75X18=1887.25)

So a Zaku`s head is the same height as a man, yes?  What do you think?

So i have orded a tamiya set of 1/35 figures and if they dont look write i will just have to order 1/35 half track...but anyway im thinking about the Zaku head dio and i like the idea of a zaku head test bed/lab, lot of box's cables computers etc. So on that theam the head will get lots of cable's dangling out the under

20170722_173611

20170722_173607

• Like 2

These are really cool, I love the idea of the diorama with all the wires. I think it's nice that even the pods they come in are nicely designed + moulded items that you can use in the build.

There was a terrific dio in one of the Japanese magazines showing the 1/35 Core Fighter being debugged in its Core Block form. Cables everywhere, desks and PCs, and the best bit was that it was *covered* in post-it notes. Looked so good :)

Cheers,

Will

• Like 1

Cheers guys, i trying to plan out the work shop/lab but it not going well so have put all the parts in a box and im going to have a go at painting a few figures, not something i have done very much of and i printed out a few Zeon banners for the lab once it has some walls. I was going to say im very surprised at the amout of flash on these Tamiya figures, i will do some pictures later.

7 hours ago, Hunter Rose said:

Love the figure, really dig where your going with this.

And yikes definitely new brush time, or maybe just give him massive eyes?? :D

Cheers, 

Have a practice at painting one of the figures, i think a bit more blending will help but im quite happy so far with my first effort of a 1/35 scale.

20170728_173123

Messing about arranging these as well. Looks like a heated debate to me.....

20170728_152031

• Like 1

Uniform's looking good and I quite like the expression, he looks like a cheeky northern lad :)

If you can manage it (athough I think you'll need a decent brush to do this easily) it would be worth drawing a line with e.g. a dark skin tone under the eye - that will reduce the wide eyes and give a hint of a lower lid. That's not a bad general tip actually - painting subtractively makes it easy to define very small features as you can use the edge of the brush to sort of "close in" on them.

HTH.

Will

• Like 1

Cheers and thanks for tip Will, and the face was modelled after myself...;).

Im going to strip this one and paint him again, I need the practice and im expecting some a brushes to arrive monday. Going to prime with white as well to see if i can get a better skin tone as well but i think i might have to actually buy some skin paint as im using light sand, white and red and mixing it myself at the moment.