1/144 de Havilland DH114 Heron 1 BEA Red Square Scheme

I completed this Welsh Models Heron for the de Havilland Mega GB a few weeks ago, but because i) I hadn't lightened the fuselage enough and then ii) I didn't add enough weight it ended up being a tail sitter. My intention had been to add the model to a base but I didn't complete that in time for the end of the group build.

I finished the base last night and thought that I would share my efforts of how it should have looked here. First up a photo from last night

35824234116_82236e33ba_c.jpg

And here are some that I took outside this morning.

35705146542_de64faf8b3_c.jpg

35705144212_f1d4c530bb_c.jpg

35705145102_3b0a92e2ea_c.jpg

35705147292_7ee8fba448_c.jpg

• Like 34

Thanks for the comments chaps, I am glad that you like the result. It's my first use of static grass and I am pleased with the way this came out, though with a lot more practice I should be able to achieve a patchier look. I can't believe how much scatter materials have moved on since my railway modelling days.

Great little scene, looks ace. That long grass was worth waiting for, sets the whole thing off. Love it !

• Like 1

Love it, well done.

• Like 1

Hi John,

outstanding as usual.

Where the hell is Barra?

Congrats

JR

• Like 1

Lovely model and diorama.  Thanks for sharing.  I've enjoyed catching up on the build thread which I somehow missed.  The Welsh Models kit looks like a significant improvement on the F-RSIN version although F-RSIN did get the undercarriage locations correct.  

For Jean's information Barra is an island at the southern tip of the Outer Hebrides off the west coast of Scotland. It is the only airport in the world where scheduled flights use the beach as the runway.  I don't know if it's still the case but in the past the airport timetable was "subject to tidal conditions".

• Like 2

My thanks to everyone above for their kind and generous comments.

@jean I would also add to @Skodadriver reply and say that the Ealing Studios comedy Whisky Galore was filmed on the island of Barra. A tale of islanders who attempt to recover and hide cases of whisky from a shipwreck before the Customs men arrive - worth watchng IMO.

• Like 1

What a lovely job you have done there, Barra is a stunning location, would love to have seen Herons flying there, can but dream. great job.                                                                                                                                                                                                               Cheers Michael.                   

• Like 1