Tamiya extra thin cement

Vinnie

After reading some very good reviews I bought a bottle. Have I misunderstood what it's used for? I assumed I could use it in the same way as Revell Contacta for example. I've tried it several times with joining a fuselage and wings to experiment. After I took the clamps off they fell apart. Does it have another use?

Hi Vinnie

its a very thin glue & works best with capillary action. Hold the fuselage halves together, touch the brush with a little extra thin loaded to the join/small gap and watch it run along the seam. It evaporates pretty quickly, so if you're putting the extra thin on the pins or holes it' probably drying before you put the parts together.

Edge

• Like 1

Depends how big the wing and fuselage are. I've used it successfully for 1/72 Spitfire size models. Given the size of the brush supplied, I tend to use it for precision applications and the similar looking (and smelling) Humbrol stuff for bigger joins.

If you get bigger models, such as the Airfix 1/72 Mosquito, good ol' tube cement is better. I remember when I built mine, the wings were a very sloppy fit when testing, but once I used tube cement, it was a tight fit!

Trevor

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I use Tamiya extra thin, have for a few years. I usually never have a problem with it and i use it pretty much everywhere on a kit. I've only had one problem like this with it. But in that case the plastic was 40 years old and had originally been glued with the old testors tube cement. I was rebuilding my Brother in laws 1977 version of the Airfix 1/24 scale P-51. I think the combined age and the previous chemical weld had changed the plastic and not allowed the Tamiya to work. 

• 1 year later...

I believe your problem is more in how you are applying the glue. Extra Thin is a capillary action type of glue, similar to how super glue works, but for joining styrene plastic. You can't apply it like tube glue or Revell Contacta, which is like a thinner tube glue in an applicator like Testers.       Tamiya makes a thicker liquid glue that I sometimes use for gluing large parts together (comes in a white top square bottle) I basically use it to help hold the parts together until I can apply some extra thin to the joint.

Ron G 

Yup!      :ditto:

Vinnie, be quite careful and resonably sparing with the Tamiya Extra Thin. It is superb stuff but if you use too much it can pool then suddenly shoot off (quite invisibly) and reach areas that you really didn't want it to reach... Especially if these areas are where the fingers holding the parts together are.  

If your holding fingers suddenly feel wet, drop the part immediately (in as safe an area as possible of course). I have managed to melt a lovely set of fingerprints into e.g. a wing a couple of times because the extra thin glue went much futher than I wanted it to.

• 1 month later...

Tamiya Extra Thin has been my preferred glue for years.  As been mentioned above, it works best as capillary cement as it evaporates too fast to put on two parts and then put them together.  However, I never use the included cap brush.  Instead I have several dedicated liquid glue brushes- one is a 5/0, another 10/0 and one is a very old with about 5-6 hairs left on it for very fine work.  A little Extra Thin goes a long way.

Lou

• Like 1

When touching the glue to parts held in position make sure your fingers are well out the way.  This stuff has a tremendous ability to seek out you fingers and create gluey fingerprints just where you don't want them.

Cheers,

Nigel

• Like 4