Another Eduard Bf110C in 1/48

@stever219 yeah, I remember the backlash for the Airfix 110. Back in those days they were not the paragon of accuracy...

Let's leave the nacelles for a while and have some fun in the cockpit. The front one is complete!

35833036684_0b4c99f3a4_o.jpg

Prepainted etch and good fit to all parts. What's not to like?

Well, the huge amount of small parts?

35833036574_cb960e7f4d_o.jpg

All ammo magazines should also recieve a small etched handle, but to keep my sanity in check I'll prbably skip that...

In the rear tub, I've started to paint some parts, but I need to do it in several stages.

36668079455_d32a2c7851_o.jpg

Here I tape the rear bulkhed in place while glueing some support parts in place.

Tricky business, but I like this!

So far so good, and this area is nothing to be afraid of @BIG X!

One does not have to use all etch =)

• Like 2

Yes, lots and lots of tiny fiddly bits that either refuse to go into place or manage to get themselves lost.  You seem to be taming this nasty little beastie very well Christer.  I'll keep watching......

Max

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Gosh, was it really 2,5 years ago I was heavily into this one?

Oh well...

Time for some thread necromancy then, thanks to @Roger Newsome and his splendid 110!

Today is the first day of my short term job suspension thanks to that darned flue that everyone is so afraid of.

My company closes down all factories, offices and almost everything else for a duration of up to 6 weeks.

During this time, I'm not allowed to even work from home, but are allowed to live as I choose, as long as I can report back to work within a day.

The slightly bad thing is that I get a 7,5% reduction in pay since everyone knows that one spends more money when not working.

But it evens out since I don't have to commute to work via train. It could be a lot worse!

Most chores are done, I switched to summer tires on the car so what's left to do?

Start a new model off course! But not this time!
There will be a Israeli Spitfire after Easter thanks to the Spitfire GB but why not take the time to finish some stuff, starting with this 110?

Let's see what I can find for the 110.
49688239737_082dfc8d41_o.jpg
Ok, the wings look alright. Unfortunately the panel lines haven't magically appeared so I need to redo those, but it should be feasible.

49687936201_caac0d4983_o.jpg
In a plastic box I found most of the cockpit. Most of it is painted RLM02 , but it's far from finished. Plenty of details to add, but this is all good an proper.

49688239622_17a2df5dfe_o.jpg
The pilot seat has still one attached belt, and two loose ones in the box. I wonder were the fourth one are?

49688239802_8091a26713_o.jpg
Yeah, the radios look good. Nothing more to do there I guess.

49687403418_59e0660bbb_o.jpg

49687403253_b96f7d5ed1_o.jpg

But here comes the trouble!

It's not a bright idea to use blue-tac equivalent to hold pieces for a long time, especially when when they are freshly painted. Somehow the plastic has reacted to the paint fumes and started to melt...
I wonder how many of these ammo drums that can be saved?

49687403373_c32d33dc01_o.jpg

Fuselage halves looks good, but lacks a bunch of parts. Not matter!

I also tested to brush paint some Mission Models RM02 behinde a bulkhead up to the left, just to see how big the difference is towards the Xtracrylix RLM02 that was airbrushed. Quite a lot, as expected.

Right, lets kick of these 6 weeks with lots of modelling!

• Like 4

It's always nice to see a model resurrected and given another chance Christer.

Unless you intend on leaving the forward gun bay open open I wouldn't worry about the magazines, once it's buttoned up they will be invisible.

Roger. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks Roger!

I think I

l'll probably leave the forward gun bay open in any case, just to make things more interesting.
49694323148_71d3dd0e31_o.jpg

There are no loose magazines in the front, which makes sense because it would be quite the undertaking to climb on top of the nose during flight to replace them.
The actual guns and stuff will be installed later on. I usually replace gun barrels with brass but in this case i actually don't have any and I think the Eduard plastic looks good enough.

To get a nice metallic sheen on the Mg. FF they were painted black and rubbed with Uschi's metal powder.
49694862191_7029928041_o.jpg
Looks a lot better in real life than what I can capture with my camera.

Now I just need to repeat this with all the MG.17

After some discussions with people that are more knowledgeable than me, it was found that I followed the Eduard instructions instead of standard RLM procedure. Wires inside the cockpit should not be brown, but yellow and blue. A quick ride to the toy store nearby to stock up on some Citadel paints were in order. Yes that's right. Citadel. That the only paint available locally!

The Warhammer stuff is more readily available than Humbrol /Airfix since the Swedish distributor of Airfix products are changing hands faster than I change shirts. A few years back Airfix made a big push and almost replaced Revell everywhere, but now we're back no almost no Airfix presence and only Revell.

Enough with the rambling, this is how it turned out after painting and wash.
49695166457_16104e53a1_o.jpg

After all painting, washing and general assembly I decided to have a little test fit in the fuselage.
49694862076_75446a2f5f_o.jpg
49695166402_5e7e938222_o.jpg

To capture all the details one really must avoid natural light and turn on the flash instead.

Here we go!
49694323013_3a525b3ca7_o.jpg
49694862036_531d7461d6_o.jpg

I'm very satisfied with this look!

However, I see that the inserts on the bottom till need some special care in order to avoid filler.
49694861901_c907b2f4fb_o.jpg

Old School Eduard kits really are first class short-runs....

• Like 8

Let's carry on shall we?

I managed to join the fuselage together yesterday, and while clamping it and generally manhandling the fuselage I heard a rattling sound. I couldn't see what had come loose, so I carried on. A while later I saw something on the cutting mat:

49702311792_d7255d82ff_o.jpg

The big trimwheel had come loose, and here it was! Whew! Just squirt a little CA and stick it back and everything is saved.

In no time at all the fuselage and stabilizers ware together and it starts to look a lot more like the 110 now.
49701994566_45be6dd574_o.jpg
Easy peasy!

The next troublesome area I've heard about is the poor fit of the nose.
49702311757_a679d90be9_o.jpg
Eduard has chosen a rather unfortunate way of attaching the gun bay "floor" part C9 to the nose. Since C9 is a little bit too wide as cast one needs to sand it off a bit before installing it in the nose, otherwise it will push put the rear and quite a bit.

The problem is made worse with the top part.
49701463903_8601fe5d0e_o.jpg
Oh, well, I was planning on doing an open nose in any case, and it's not too much trouble to sand the lower half of the nose into shape.

Consider yourself warned, if you ever start one.

• Like 4

With two weeks until the Spitfire GB kicks off I guess it's time to focus HARD on this one, to get it out of the way.

Here's the next interesting part in the Eduard 110-saga, the rear cockpit cover.
49707701417_68a5d55b60_o.jpg

It's made up from 8 parts, so I guess Eduard channelled their inner Dragon-desires and went to town...

The fit of all the parts are great though, but once mating it to the fuselage it's a bit worse actually, since it leaves a big step towards the sides.
A pair of thin plastic strips solved that little issue.
49707382581_5f0f9146fe_o.jpg
49707382526_008c8fa2cc_o.jpg
That got rid of the major steps, but a slight bead of PPP might be needed in any case.

However, I probably messed up with the belly.
49707701322_d8aea01834_o.jpg

Despite trying to pull the gun port pieces in place with some brute force and dentist's tool (the kind use to scrape of calculus/tartar) I wasn't 100% successful in eliminating all steps.
That the belly itself is flimsy and bends in all kind of directions doesn't help either.
If I ever do another one, I'll definitely glue the fuselage first, while these parts are unglued but in the correct position. Once the fuselage has cured a bit more, then I can pull them to the correct location and glue them.

Oh well, time to add filler.

49707701307_478104d4f6_o.jpg
And now, sanding time!

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, Christer A said:

Despite trying to pull the gun port pieces in place with some brute force and dentist's tool (the kind use to scrape of calculus/tartar) I wasn't 100% successful in eliminating all steps.

If it's any consolation, I ran into the exact same problem, but lacked the determination to putty this piece of .... .

Richard

• Haha 1

It is a tricky kit, no doubt!

Assembling the wings to the fuselage is not a simple affair. Unless you try to make the mating sides slightly grooved you'll get tremendous gaps, and who likes that sort of thing?

Putty makers, that's who!

I took the other way and scraped with a curved blade to get a good fit, and in the end I was awarded with this.

49714804888_66b3709fe2_o.jpg

But at least the fins fit perfectly!

49714804868_00a72211f1_o.jpg

I might get away with just some PPP in these gaps though.

With lots of luck there could be primer within a few days 😎

• Like 2

This short term leave that I'm forced to endure is a godsend for the modelling time!

I primed the 110 yesterday and today I gave it nice little paintjob with MrPaint RLM65.

First, some kind of preshade on black

49719380583_d032916a00_o.jpg

Then I went for the cover coat and ended up here:

49719916591_86ca532079_o.jpg

That's a result I'm happy with.

Now, it needs to harden until tomorrow before starting the masking and top side painting 😀

• Like 5

Dang!

This "stay at home" orders really makes the output to britmodeller increase through the roof doesn't it?

The servers must be running real hot...

Afrter yesterdays little paint session I masked everything up and had another go. First, I laid down a covering coat of Gunze RLM70, since it's close to impossible to make a good marble coat with green on top of black.

Then I took out a pot of Tamiya RLM Grey and had some fun:

49723964077_920da10ba0_o.jpg

On new thin top coat of Gunze RLM70 on top and it came out like this
49723646616_321677c5fd_o.jpg
I think I can live with that.
49723964052_1309dea5bd_o.jpg
This will now harden until tomorrow, and then we'll have some fun with RLM71!

• Like 4

Yesterday was a day of clumsiness. I started by knocking over a bottle of Micro Sol, but managed to avoid all decals, models etc and didn't leave a mark on the kitchen table.

Perhaps this was a portent that I should no do complicated stuff?

But who responds to that kind of crap? Well I don't...

I found out though that I had still a nasty mark on the nose that must go away.

All previous attempts at sanding, filling with liquid sprue was unsatisfactory and had left me with this:
49728676082_7729cffcc3_o.jpg
This time I added a smear of Tamiya putty instead and took the bike downtown for a lunch pizza.

Once I got back I sanded the area again and started to paint the topside.

As with the last episode, I started with a base coat of Gunze RLM70 followed by some random blotches and a few panels panited in Tamiya RLM grey.
49728676037_564f2c62df_o.jpg

I quick paint change and I was spraying the top coat.

After I had started to peel of all tape it looked like this in sunlight.
49728360261_f369e0d28d_o.jpg

With unnatural light it looks more like this:
49728359966_395156c9d0_o.jpg

49727812528_800bac7b65_o.jpg

Just one little paint seepage but that will be covered by the shark mouth so I'm very pleased with how this turned out

We had a small storm yesterday, so despite that the balcony was cold and windy, I decided to press on with a clearcoat too, to be able to put on some stickers this Friday.
But this was not a good idea!

When coating the bottom the airbrush suddenly sneezed and I had a nice splatter on the wing.

Despite the fact that I know that I shouldn't wipe it off, I did that anyway.
49727812593_58fea3375e_o.jpg
Oops.

MrPaint clear coat sure is strong!

It ate all the way down to the plastic!

Bugger !

Ok, deep breath.

Step away from the airbrush (but clean it first, nitwit!)

Let the affected area dry out, and then redo this area.

Today I've sanded the fouled area, masked it and are awaiting the suns return so I can get back to painting.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Thanks Roger!

Here is the same wing after today's patch-up job

49731680766_29a66f1c00_o.jpg

I probably painted this a bit more heavily, so this wing came out a bit bluer than the surroundings. After a little freehand blending I think it came out all right.

Also, today I managed to clearcoat the whole thing, so there should be stickers later on!

• Like 5

Funny.

just found the very same Eduard offering in a corner were i dropped it of many years ago.
Your build is coming along nicely Christer. 
Inspired 🤪 I am going to pick it up again.
This little darling has traveled around the world with me so hopefully I can still find most of the parts.

I take it the conclusion is that there should be an overlap between the engine nacelles and the hump on the flaps then?
My first take on this was to fill & sand away...

2v2HcGAm8x6eHcV.jpg

The only good thing about this bizarre and awful situation is that I am finding semi finished builds here and there  and everywhere...

Stay home, stay safe and happy modelling

Edited by Zack

Yeah, that gap should be there, at least in some fashion. When the flaps are lowered that part is supposed to slide into the nacelle itself.

This virus will surely be a great excuse to finish a bunch of old builds!

Edited by Christer A

Clear sign from the que :)
Found this and a Dragon Pz.Kpfw 38(t) that I must have bought back in 2008.

Looking forward to your next update!
Lycka till!

Edited by Zack
  • Thanks 1