Revell Fokker 100 Swissair 1/144 - reworked and finally finished

Revell released the Fokker 100 kit back in 1995.

Its very nicely molded and well detailed.

Since then I had this kit in my stash...when I bought it,I started it right away but back then I was still using brushes on my builds.

After some parts were brush painted,I thought I wasn't very happy with the outcome,so the kit was put back to the box were it had stayed ever since.

Due to some home movings I managed to lose the cockpit clear part and for some time I had no idea how to fix it.

Recently,and now with more experience,I took it off the shelf of doom and thought that now its the time to fix this kit and build it properly.

All pre-painted parts were cleaned,primed and re-painted by airbrush and also using the correct colors for the Swissair version.

The decals had yellowed badly in all those years but I was lucky to find another Swissair Fokker 100 which had pristine decals.

The missing cockpit window was replaced by putty and a 3D window from Authentic Airliners.

The cabin windows were filled with clear.

The build itself after the cleaning and repairs was straight forward as the parts fit well and filler is needed at an absolute minimum.

Painted with my usual Revell and Testors enamels.

I am very pleased to add this nice little kit into my collection after more than 20 years on the shelf of doom...

Sadly its out of production for some time now and sometimes gets high prices on ebay.Would be nice if Revell would do a re-release like they did with their Boeing 727-100 kit.

Swissair was launch customer for the Fokker 100 and received its first example in 1988.It was in service until 1996 when Swissair replaced them with Airbus A319 and A320s

Today some Fokker 100s are flying with Helvetic Airways,so they are still a common sight at Zurich Airport altough their days are numbered as well.

Cheers,

20170710_175546.jpg

20170710_175554.jpg

20170710_175607.jpg

20170710_175618.jpg

20170710_175627.jpg

20170710_175641.jpg

Edited by Alex1978
  • Like 26

Lovely job Alex.  That's definitely my favourite Swissair livery and it looks great on the little Fokker.  :goodjob:

It was a nice kit but if Revell ever do re-release it I hope they fix the moulds first.  I have two Helvetic kits in my stash and in both of them the left engines are so badly moulded they're unbuildable without a lot of corrective work. It would be nice to see the F100 back but preferably after that problem has been sorted.

Still no cats?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Skodadriver said:

Lovely job Alex.  That's definitely my favourite Swissair livery and it looks great on the little Fokker.  :goodjob:

It was a nice kit but if Revell ever do re-release it I hope they fix the moulds first.  I have two Helvetic kits in my stash and in both of them the left engines are so badly moulded they're unbuildable without a lot of corrective work. It would be nice to see the F100 back but preferably after that problem has been sorted.

Still no cats?

Thank you very much.

Thats bad to hear.I also have 2 Helevtic kits in my stash.I guess I have to check wether they have the same problem.

I had no issues with the engines on the Swissair kit.

The cats took a nap when I took the pics,they just had their dinner shortly before:sorry:

5 minutes ago, Alex1978 said:

Thats bad to hear.I also have 2 Helevtic kits in my stash.I guess I have to check wether they have the same problem.

I had no issues with the engines on the Swissair kit.

The early kits - Swissair and Fokker house colours - were fine.  I built at least three and had no problems.  Maybe I was just unlucky with the two Helvetic kits but I'm keeping my eye on eBay in case an early kit turns up.

14 minutes ago, Skodadriver said:

The early kits - Swissair and Fokker house colours - were fine.  I built at least three and had no problems.  Maybe I was just unlucky with the two Helvetic kits but I'm keeping my eye on eBay in case an early kit turns up.

I just checked my 2 Helvetic kits.

Those engines have some excess plastic compared to my other Swissair kit.

I guess with TLC and carefull sanding they can be saved. At least I hope...

Hi Alex,

This is a lovely F100, we don't see many of them finished maybe they're all on shelves of doom. I know I have a couple which have been half finished for 20 years too, what is it about that kit!?

Nice finish and nice livery too, made all the better for using the AA windscreen it really makes a difference doesn't it?

I used to fly on Air UK and later KLM UK F100s in the late 90's and really loved them.

Once I clear a few of the 9 or 10 nearly completed builds I have on the go I think I'll have to get my F100s down from the loft and get them finished.

I think I might finish one in current Helvetic colours as I still see their F100s flying into MAN.

Cheers,

Ian

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Turbofan said:

Hi Alex,

This is a lovely F100, we don't see many of them finished maybe they're all on shelves of doom. I know I have a couple which have been half finished for 20 years too, what is it about that kit!?

Nice finish and nice livery too, made all the better for using the AA windscreen it really makes a difference doesn't it?

I used to fly on Air UK and later KLM UK F100s in the late 90's and really loved them.

Once I clear a few of the 9 or 10 nearly completed builds I have on the go I think I'll have to get my F100s down from the loft and get them finished.

I think I might finish one in current Helvetic colours as I still see their F100s flying into MAN.

Cheers,

Ian

Thank you Ian.

Unfortunately I never managed to get to fly on a F100.

I still have 3 more Revell F100s in my stash.They will become Helvetic (pinkish scheme),KLM and Austrian Airlines

50 minutes ago, robvd said:

Wow Alexs what a great build It holds for me special feelings since as an former Fokker emplye I used to work on the canopy section of the Fokker100 Thanks for sharing

Thank you very much.

Oh,thats very nice.

I really like the Fokker 100,its a beautiful airliner.Just sad that the company no longer exists.

These jets are still on demand in the second hand market.How it might be if these planes would still be in production ?

Very nice Alex. It would be nice to see Revell put this kit back into production (also the 146 - I just paid a price I thought was just about the right side of too high on the famous auction site for one of these!). Occasionally still see these flying here in Australia - Alliance Airlines uses them for things like charters to remote mine sites, and Virgin Australia has some, although I've never seen one. 

My only flight in one of these (actually a Fokker 70) was with British Midland, back in 2000, on a return flight from a trip to Sydney - delay leaving Sydney meant a missed connection in Dubai, then a Sri Lankan flight to Heathrow (best airline food I've ever eaten was on that flight) and a British Midland flight up to Manchester. I don't really remember much about the F70 but the flight itself was memorable as it was in the evening on November 5 (for those outside the UK - Guy Fawkes Night - when people all over the country set off fireworks) and a nice clear night - the sight of fireworks going off below us was quite strange and quite beautiful!

• Like 1

Love that, and as others have said a great scheme,

on a side note, here is Australia we have the probably the biggest supply of Fokker 100's, and they take off over my house all day every day, even the odd Fokker 70, saw an Air Niugini one the other day, must try and get one of those done.

• Like 1

Great rescue from the shelf of doom, it's a real beauty. I love that AA windscreen.

I flew on an American Airlines one from Ottawa to Chicago, back in 1998. Almost 20 years ago - that is scary how rapidly that time has passed.

Cheers

John

• Like 1

On 7/12/2017 at 22:29, mitchem said:

Excellent job again Alex.

:thumbsup2::thumbsup2:

Cracking scheme which I'd love to see on a 1/144 MD-11 - huge hint here !

Best Regards

mike

Thank you Mike.

An MD-11 is planned,it depends on when the MikroMir Pratt&Whitney version will be released or maybe I will buy another AA resin kit when available again.Decals for the Swissair MD-11 are already in my stash:winkgrin: