Su-34 - Trumpeter & Italeri 1/72nd kits compared

Flankerman

I have now got both of the existing 1/72 scale kits - the new one from Trumpeter (2017 release) - and the old one from Italeri (released in 1995) - so I thought I'd do a comparison.... these are just my personal opinions BTW.....

The Trumpeter kit is typical from them - excellent packaging, crisp moulding and loads of weaponry and very expensive - but also some shape errors.

It also represents the latest configuration - whereas the Italeri kit is of a Su-34 from about 20 years ago...

su-34_001.jpg

Trumpeters excellent box art.......

su-34_002.jpg

.... and superb packaging.

su-34_003.jpg

But the nose is way off !!!

su-34_017.jpg

.... compared to the real thing :woot.gif:

Italeri got it much better - all those years ago.....

su-34_006.jpg

Italeri upper fuselage mated to Trumpeter lower....

su-34_008.jpg

Italeri lower fuselage mated to Trumpeter upper. Note the strakes on the Trumpeter kit (an addition since Italeri kitted their version).

su-34_009.jpg

Trumpeter moulded the fuselage and wings as one part...... (but got the wingspan wrong - they measured the span WITHOUT the wingtip launch rails - so it works out at 208mm instead of the correct 204mm - Italeri is nearer at 205mm)

su-34_004.jpg

Note also the sharp edge to the curved engine nacelles.....

su-34_007.jpg

Italeri's nacelles are blended in better - much more subtle.

su-34_010.jpg

Italer got their fins wrong - the early Su-34 prototypes had a taller fin taken from the Su-27UB - it was later replaced with a shorter fin taken from a single-seat Su-27.

Trumpeter's fin (on the left) is better.

su-34_011.jpg

Trumpeter provide the latest tailboom - with a built-in APU - but it is a half-hearted attempt - you have to cut out a recess and fit the intake grille into it.

And.... they don't provide the APU exhaust flaps at the top rear of the tailboom....

su-34_014.jpg

Trumpeter (top) and Italeri tailbooms - Italeri is too long.

su-34_012.jpg

More later

Ken

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

One thing that neither kit incudes are the blind-flying curtains inside the cockpit - they are very prominent, whether deployed....

su-34_015.jpg

.... or folded up.....

su-34_016.jpg

Thats it so far - the Trumpeter kit is much more comprehensive - with a load of weaponry included and has a very detailed cockpit and nosewheel bay.

It also represents the latest configuration - with strakes on the LERX, fences on the upper outer wings and that tailboom APU - plus the latest cockpit instrument panel.

It also has some nice touches - like the access ladder attached to the nose leg and the retracted or deployed Platan targetting pod, wingtip ESM pods, twin launch rails etc.

But that nosecone is a let down - although no doubt there will be a resin correction set along shortly?   :pray:

The Italeri kit needs some work to bring it up to the latest standards - it can be done - see here :- http://www.flankers-site.co.uk/modl_su-34.html

You pays yer money........

Ken

• Like 2

Someone over on ARC asked for a wing comparison...

Trumpeter......

su-34_018.jpg

Italeri.... (the wings are separate - I've had to tape them on)...

su-34_019.jpg

.... and together...

su-34_020.jpg

The shapes are remarkably similar - canard shoulders, LERX (minus strake), width across engines etc are the same.

The Su-34 canopy ALMOST fits the Trumpeter kit - it is slightly wider at the rear lower edge - but not by much.

Forget what I said about the Trumpeter span, I got it wrong - they are both the same at 206mm (should be 204mm to be exact).

Ken

• Like 2

Thanks Ken, great comparison! One thing I'd like to know: how's the Trumpeter canopy? Italeri canopy has a bit too large clear part. Fixable, yes, just an extra work step anyway.

14 hours ago, Apex said:

One thing I'd like to know: how's the Trumpeter canopy? Italeri canopy has a bit too large clear part. Fixable, yes, just an extra work step anyway.

The canopy.....

Trumpeter (left) - Italeri (right)...

su-34_021.jpg

Trumpeter....

su-34_022.jpg

Italeri...

su-34_023.jpg

Trumpeter....

su-34_024.jpg

Italeri...

su-34_025.jpg

The real thing (as best I can).....

su-34_026.jpg

su-34_029.jpg

su-34_027.jpg

su-34_028.jpg

The decision is yours....

Th.. th... that's all folks........

I'm 'off air' for a couple of days - going to the Airshow at Fairford.

Ken

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Ken!

I think that Trumpeter has better rear part of the canopy but the windscreen looks quite off, it is too round and wide. While neither Italeri and Trumpeter are really bad kits, it looks like the definitive Su-34 kit has yet to come.