White paint for Tamiya F14 Tomcat

Lish

Hi All,

I am busy starting to build the Tamiya F14-A Tomcat and was hoping to get some advise on the best white acrylic paint for airbrushing. Given the cost of this kit and that white is challenging to airbrush, at least that what I encountered in my limited modelling experiencing, I am looking for best options/advice.

Thanks

Edited by Lish
Words

Always a pain, white. I've tried many but the best I've found is an acrylic automotive paint from a spray can. I've also had some success using Tamiya white fine primer, and Gunze Sangyo have a similar product. 

The automotive paint has to be decanted before spraying it; the Tamiya and Gunze spray cans are ok to use directly on your model for large surfaces but it's not very economical as these cans are a tenner or more each. So best to decant as well.

I've never found a well-spraying white in a tin or bottle. Perhaps I should try Giorgio's suggestion for XF-2. 

Vallejo, in my experience, sprays extremely well in general (I've never tried their white) but the paint scratches very easily.

Not acrylic, I know, but I usually use Alclad white primer as my white. :)  Let it gas off properly, then cover it with matt or gloss varnish to get a pretty good finish.

Halford appliance White is another possibility if you can't it to be ready glossed. It is a hard paint and the devil to remove if you get it wrong. I tend to Halfords White primer, direct from the can but do put that coat of Klear on before you start to weather it.

56 minutes ago, iainpeden said:

Halford appliance White is another possibility if you can't it to be ready glossed. It is a hard paint and the devil to remove if you get it wrong. I tend to Halfords White primer, direct from the can but do put that coat of Klear on before you start to weather it.

Now that I know how to apply it, I think Appliance White is just the business for this sort of thing.  It looks perfect on my Buccaneer.  Halfords white primer is also excellent but, naturally, dead matt.  Handily, both are reputed never to go yellow.  I hope the same is true of Citadel white too, though I've not had any on long enough to find out.