1974 Formula 1 Ferrari 312B3/74

Finished this today. Niki Lauda's 1974 Formula 1 Ferrari 312B/74 in 1/43rd by CAR, an acronym for Costruzione Automodelli Roma.

I got this kit off eBay and had never heard of the maker. I also picked up one more kit made by them of a Shadow DN9B which I kind of started today. Information on the net is thin but judging by notations on the instructions it appears to be from 1983 and CAR was based in Rome. 

There is some indication of a connection to Bosica later...maybe someone involved with CAR went on to found or work for Bosica, I'm not really sure.

Regardless, I'm quite surprised at the end result...which I'm very pleased with. I kind of can't believe I got this out of the kit to be honest. I'm not sure if it was considered a "super kit" back in 1983 but it has a full engine, suspension and cockpit. The moldings where not too bad, I think quite good for the time period probably, but the engineering was really quite bad. Lots of cases of parts designed to occupy the same space at the same time, which never works...it's doubtful the pattern maker ever actually built the kit before sending the bits off for reproduction. It is definitely one of the most challenging kits I've ever built and I've been building for the better part of 40 years! It's all white metal with the exception of the tires, windscreen and some photo etch wing end plates.

But enough whinging. It's built box stock with the following exceptions. I used some photo etch belt hardware from BBR, made the belts from textured food packaging foil and various suspension rods and components that where not supplied or usable where fabricated from various diameters of paper clip wire.

It's finished with various Tamiya lacquers, acrylics and some Krylon satin black. The clear is Acme two part automotive urethane. The decals proved still usable and required copious amounts of Solvaset to lay down well. The tire decals where robbed from a Meri kit...which will now only have Good Year on the outside of the tires when I get around to building it. A worthy sacrifice I think.

In the end I'm happy with the finished product. About mid way through the build I learned Tameo has kitted this car in the last few years. I'm confident in saying, though never having seen it,  it's a much better kit but this one was a third the price and a quite challenging and ultimately rewarding build. Tameo has also kitted the Shadow I have from CAR, but I'm still gonna try to build my old one first...cause a good old fashioned challenge is fun sometimes.

1/43 CAR Ferrari 312B3/74

1/43 CAR Ferrari 312B3/741/43 CAR Ferrari 312B3/741/43 CAR Ferrari 312B3/741/43 CAR Ferrari 312B3/741/43 CAR Ferrari 312B3/741/43 CAR Ferrari 312B3/741/43 CAR Ferrari 312B3/741/43 CAR Ferrari 312B3/741/43 CAR Ferrari 312B3/74

35436145780_22dcbd55b9_b.jpg

Edited by Lowbrow
  • Like 20

That's another little stunner with a simply gorgeous finish! And I love the well scrubbed in slicks!

Great to see more 1/43 builds on here, I was beginning to think that they'd been killed off by the pre-built 'resincasts'.

Keith

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

Respected Lowbrow!

First of all, allow me to express my admiration for the work done.

Kit from Costruzione Automodelli Roma is ancient, so the result is excellent!

At the moment I'm looking for information about this manufacturer (CAR) and I will be grateful if you post a photo of the assembly instruction in this topic.

Thanks in advance.

Good job on that old kit.  It was also kitted by Dallari and that was pretty good.  I sold one on Ebay and bought the Tameo kit and it's one of the most complicated Ferrari kits he's ever produced. Just reading the instructions makes me want to go and lie down in a darkened room.  His most recent kits have become a lot more simplified. I don't think he can produce the complicated 'superkits' at a price the market will accept any more. 

The CAR Shadow DN9B was mastered by Tameo and I think one of the first 1/43 kits he was involved with, before he started his own company. No surprise that he made another one years later for his own range, which is a great kit. 

On 7/7/2018 at 1:29 AM, Roger Holden said:

The CAR Shadow DN9B was mastered by Tameo and I think one of the first 1/43 kits he was involved with, before he started his own company. No surprise that he made another one years later for his own range, which is a great kit. 

To Roger Holden.

it is very interesting!!
now I'm looking for information about the old factory kits of Tameo, which they produce before the series tameo built (TB).

I became aware of the models built Arrows FA1 (2 pilots),  Shadow DN9b (2 pilots), 1971 Ferrari 312 B (2 pilots) and 1970 Ferrari 312 B, Ferrari 275 GTB Spider Nart. This tentatively occurred in 1983-1989.

I ask for help in finding information.

1 hour ago, Aleksey Ivanov said:

To Roger Holden.

it is very interesting!!
now I'm looking for information about the old factory kits of Tameo, which they produce before the series tameo built (TB).

I became aware of the models built Arrows FA1 (2 pilots),  Shadow DN9b (2 pilots), 1971 Ferrari 312 B (2 pilots) and 1970 Ferrari 312 B, Ferrari 275 GTB Spider Nart. This tentatively occurred in 1983-1989.

I ask for help in finding information.

Hello Aleksey.

All Tameos old kits from the 1980s (TMK001 +) are still available and listed on their website:

http://www.tameokits.com/en/prodotti-modelli-rezults.asp?x=1&ref=TMK&myPage=42

But of course, the later kits are much better quality, especially from 1996 onwards (around TMK180 +). The TB built models are quite recent (approximately last 10 years). Nearly all his recent kit releases are in the SLK range (including the Arrows FA1 you mention).

Hello, Roger!

thanks for the information, but this is what it means I have poorly explained the problem)))

so:

1) we are talking about the factory building of Tameo only!

2) now we have a series of TMB (already 52 assembled ready-made models from metal), recently a series of TB from resin (which amounted to 35 more models).

3) in 91-92 years Tameo assembled two models of the TM series:

TM 010 - McLaren 1990 Italian GP Senna - lim 300 pcs;
TM 011 - Ferrari 1991 San Marino GP Prost - lim 300 pcs.

4) from 83 to 89 years Tameo also produced a factory building - were built Arrows FA1 (2 pilots),  Shadow DN9b (2 pilots), 1971 Ferrari 312 B (2 pilots) and 1970 Ferrari 312 B, Ferrari 275 GTB Spider Nart. These are very rare things and I'm looking for information on this old-old factory building series from Tameo.

5) At that time Tameo did not yet have many-many kits that could be built. so I suggested that the very first factory building series was based on kits CAR, especially since in 1983 they were already released.

15 hours ago, Aleksey Ivanov said:

Hello, Roger!

thanks for the information, but this is what it means I have poorly explained the problem)))

so:

1) we are talking about the factory building of Tameo only!

Ok; I assumed that because this is a forum for kit builders, not collectors of built models, that you were interested in the kits......🙂

I was never interested in the factory built models myself and I don't know the history of them. I bought my first Tameo kits in 1986.

On 7/12/2018 at 1:07 PM, Roger Holden said:

Ok; I assumed that because this is a forum for kit builders, not collectors of built models, that you were interested in the kits......🙂

I was never interested in the factory built models myself and I don't know the history of them. I bought my first Tameo kits in 1986.

Roger!

in any case, thanks for the dialogue!
now back to the sets)) if I correctly understood you, then Luka Tameo used in his first models kits from CAR. and it seems plausible to me.
then I will look for information in other forums))

On 13/07/2018 at 15:42, Aleksey Ivanov said:

if I correctly understood you, then Luka Tameo used in his first models kits from CAR

No ; Luca Tameo made the master pattern for the CAR Shadow DN9B kit, (when he was a teenager still at school). I think he carved the master from a type of wax. Following this, he also carved master models for Meri Kits and then started his own company in 1983, I think.

• 2 weeks later...