The French (Indochina) Connection

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Russ,

Just picked up on this collection.......More superb models. I'm particularly interested in the SBC Helldiver since this is on my 'to do' list. What changes did you make to reproduce the -5 ? (I see you have a frameless canopy for a start - was that vacuform ?).

Like I I've said before........EXCELLENT subjects and execution....and all with a 'hairy stick' !..........FANTASTIC !

Mark

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Tiger331 said:

Hi Russ,

Just picked up on this collection.......More superb models. I'm particularly interested in the SBC Helldiver since this is on my 'to do' list. What changes did you make to reproduce the -5 ? (I see you have a frameless canopy for a start - was that vacuform ?).

Like I I've said before........EXCELLENT subjects and execution....and all with a 'hairy stick' !..........FANTASTIC !

Mark

Cheers Mark,

re, the -5 version, the canopy is the kits, I sanded the frames down and polished it up with fine wet and dry and then toothpaste followed by a dip in Future/Klear.

the propeller is a P-47 item ( Monogram I think ), the cockpit was modified to have side consoles which I carved out of a wooden clothes peg and detailed a few bits and pieces, although I kept the kit instrument panel. The biggest mod` was extending the bomb bay and bomb bay doors. I used the `Detail and Scale` book and some pic`s off google as a reference. The radar pod came out of the spares box.

There are probably quite a few other detail differences but I didn`t bother going that far.

Hope this helps.

Cheers again Russ

• 2 months later...

This is inspirational, it really is. I'm getting obsessed by this period of history, and I have a stash of kits and a clutch of decals to do. I'm using your pics as reference and as a high standard to aim at. To add to the reading list, seek out 'A Doctor At Dien Bien Phu' by Major Grauwin, and 'Ciel De Guerre En Indochine', which is a photo-journal of aircraft and airmen from 1953, and has some great photos of mechanics stripping down Bearcats, C-47s and the like. Your models are awesome stuff, love it, thanks for sharing.

Edited by Sun Ra
  • Like 2

On 18/11/2017 at 6:44 PM, Zigomar said:

Great Job Ruus! Do you intend to do the same collection with Algeria? (there where I was born!)

Hi Jean, I don`t think so, I`m going to stick with my CBI, Pacific, Indochina and `nam themes for now, though I love the Texan with the fierce looking camel painted on the nose so you never know.

Thanks to Everyone for their great feedback and likes

Appreciated :smile:

• 3 weeks later...

I missed them too. What masterpieces. Just stunning work. I’m slowly working on my own Indochina collection in 144, as you’ve kindly noted with my spit. I can aspire but never hope for anything like this. Beautiful!

• Like 1

Man, what a way to smack some gob!   Russ, you are the man sir! :clap2:  That is a fantastic collection of models; and I love the thread of history that runs through them all.   And to think that all those beauties were painted by brush! 🏆  Great work and so inspiring Russ!  :worthy:

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...