1/72 IBG PZL -37 Łoś (Elk) - confirmed

meisnerr

I don't like how they do the whole engine assembly including the cowling in one piece, doesn't look very realistic with the push rods (or are they engine bearers ?) much too thick.

• 4 weeks later...

On ‎5‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 5:40 PM, dogsbody said:

Looks way better than the two kits I have.

42325518111_a108524e26_z.jpg

42325518141_50a4f55f67_z.jpg

Chris

Yup it looks better than my two too.....Goddamit, is nothing sacred!  :wall:

It seems kit manufacturers will retool just about anything these days (apart from a 1/72 Panther Ausf A apparently).  :rolleyes:

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Looks that thy remove this slot (?) standing up om leading edge, which was visible previously... So it looks much better now. 

I am waiting  for camparison of Polish experts on modeller fora - I mean comparison against drawings, photo and Fly model...

Regards

J-W

• 1 month later...
13 hours ago, Homebee said:

Polish in box review comparing Fly and IBG Models PZL-37 kits : https://nowosci.plastikowe.pl/aktualnosci/t-pzl-37-los-1-72-fly-vs-ibg-models/

V.P.

I will cite here what I already wrote in similar info in thread about Fly model of Łoś:

To those of us, who are not familiar with Polish yet the results of this comparison favored IBG model however no obvious flaws of Fly kit was found. The main difference in shapes is with ventral gunner position but it is not clear to me from what is written in which kit it is better. The less important difference is in surface detailing of tail.  IBG is favored mostly due to better engeneering of model (easier consruction). Interesting that both kits Łoś were designed in Poland. 

7 hours ago, occa said:

The IBG fuselage appears to be fatter especially with the height.

Which one is more correct ?

In the very begining of above comparison review it is said that both moulds are correct within reasonable limits (precision) in general outllook to what exists about the proper shapes of P 37. There are two general accepted drawings which are a bit different but nobody can judge with 100% credibility that one of the drawing is better then other. Therefore small differenes in shapes likely comes from which exactly drawings were taken as base for preparation of model. The main visible difference (still small) are also (besides ventral gunner position already mentioned) in main wheels hub/tyre proportion, tail surface, slots on leading edge, detailing shapes of spinners and props etc. . I think that we have to look at the photos to make personal choice. Of course also one can take into account construction of kit (single or two element front canopy, resin or plastic engines, resin or plastic isnided of bomb bays - just to name some of them for instance).

Cheers

J-W

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

At last I managed to get both Fly and IBG products onto my desk.

Needless to say both are GREAT improvement over the 1985 ZTS kit, currently marketed by Mister- or Mastercraft. It is also true, that IBG is a tad better in ALMOST every area compared.

The Pegasus engines are quite acceptable, the resin ones of Fly kit will be more difficult to process with. Same applies to bomb bays (resin in Fly kit), while bombs themselves are much better in IBG kit. IBG also has better reproduced the fins, rudders, tailplanes, undercarriage, props and transparencies.

So where are these very few faults? One is overall dimensions - IBG kit is about 2mm too short and the wingspan is 1mm too big. On the other hand Fly is 1mm too long and the wings are 1mm too short - I can easily live with both inacuracies.

Second is fuselage height - both kits are about 1-1.5mm too high at the highest section point (just behind the pilot seat). Yes, I know that they follow the drawings universally recognized as the best ones. The only (?) problem here is that the factory drawings don't exist and that the photos say something quite different. But this will be discussed in the end.

And the third issue - outer wings of PZL.37 were attached to the centre part (like in the C-47/DC-3) using the vertical flanges protruding outside the wing surface, After fitting the hundred (or so) horizontal screws and nuts the joint was covered with some longitudal fairing. Looking at the photos you can easily find that width to height ratio of this fairing was something like 5-6 to one.

45414215471_6db3951811_b.jpg

And this is the way they are reproduced by Fly in their kit (both above and under the wing). IBG fairings (only on the topside, as on underside they are totally omitted) are exactly half-circles in section (2:1 ratio) which spoils otherwise perfect (and surely the best on the market) PZL.37 kit.

<copyright photo removed> Sorry - look at the entries #31 & 40 above as well as pictures # 26 & 27 at the review linked to at entry #35.

So now my few words about the drawings the kits were based on.

When you look at the real plane photos you see the LONG glazed nose with almost horizontal upper edge and upturned lower part - see the PZL.37 exhibited in Paris.

30473794517_724b1d92de_b.jpg

You can also see the very low windscreen - the general fuselage outline looks like the wing section with only diminutive "dents" for the windscreen and tail gunner's stand. It's also well visible on this worldwide known picture of Romanian "211" (c/n 72.137).

43597162810_bf93f7725b_b.jpg

Contrary to my interpretation most Polish authors for years showed the nose almost Hampden-like - either too short or lowered down. Below are the profiles used for design of ZTS 1/72 (top), Mirage 1/48 (middle) and IBG 1/72 (bottom) kits.

43597160070_b8c299922d_b.jpg

On next picture you can see the sideviews of ZTS, Fly and IBG kits compared to the photos of three real a/c belly-landed in Romania during the WW2.

30473801897_c357d05e1d_b.jpg

In my opinion both new tools are much closer in outline shape to the real a/c - they are slimmer (both vertically and horizontally) than ZTS and both are light years ahead in surface and inner detail. Nevertheless even the better one (IBG to be precise) still doesn't look (from several angles) like the real plane scaled down. Below are the silhouettes of Fly (outside) and IBG (inside) fuselages compared to the ALMOST definitive colour profile made of the IBG one with slightly "upturned" nose.

43597157590_d6663537f8_b.jpg

Of course it's only my opinion. I have never examined the real plane (as it doesn't exist anywhere in the world).

But being an architect I'm used to "read" photos and linear perspective views. And this is the reason why I'm unable to call neither of these new tools "the definitive PZL.37" kit.

Cheers

Michael

Edited by KRK4m
Removal of copyright photograph of another modeller's build, without proper accreditation.
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 19/10/2018 at 20:20, KRK4m said:

And the third issue [...] they are reproduced by Fly in their kit (both above and under the wing). IBG fairings (only on the topside, as on underside they are totally omitted) are exactly half-circles in section (2:1 ratio) which spoils otherwise perfect (and surely the best on the market) PZL.37 kit.

You should note here that "both above and under the wing" is incorrect and "on underside they are totally omitted" is correct.

To my best knowledge FLY kit does have flat fairings over wing connection (on top, bottom are correctly "totally omitted" too), so your comment about above/under wing placement as well as cross-section is missed or misguided?

Edited by HKR

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

New combined boxing - ref. 72528 - World War II - a 2 in 1 set containing model kits of two planes: PZL P.11a and PZL 37B Łoś!

Source: https://www.facebook.com/ibgmodels/photos/a.714356155352698/2407232462731717/

68814341-2407232469398383-15476427258247

V.P.

• Like 2