Revell L-1011 Tristar Court Line G-BAAA ***MAJOR REVAMP***

Revell L-1011 Tristar G-BAAA

Some time ago I purchased the Revell L-1011 with the intention of doing the wacky Court Line yellow livery. I quickly put this together with no thought of the inaccuracies of the revell kit. 

I'm aware that there are other options including eastern express and the wonderful authentic airliners kit but I'd really like to have a go at putting this right (if possible!)

The only thing that i attempted to correct was the reshaping of the exhaust section using excess plastic

IMG_20151008_202512.jpg

and reshaped....

IMG_20151012_194617.jpg

this is the view without the engine exhaust on, i also noted that this has the correct number of flap track fairings??? - i think the airfix kit was incorrect?

IMG_20151021_195607.jpg

I am also unsure whether the engines will sit too low....... should these parts be sanded away on the wing???

IMG_20170705_210519.jpg

Oops!..... I left the plastic wall inside the engine. How on earth am i going to get rid of this without ripping apart the whole model?? maybe dissect the tail? this is going to get messy

IMG_20170705_210545.jpg

i also didnt plan accurately where the transfers would end up so near the nose i have a disaster there. also the radome is too big (and shiny..should be a matt black)

IMG_20151201_200956.jpg

the wings should be WHITE... not grey. also the doors are like trenches, looks like i filled the cargo door trenches but left the passenger doors - for some reason no engraving for the rear passenger door? looks like a fake door compared to the others

IMG_20151122_104413.jpg

and FINALLY... the decals, whilst good in appearance like most giant decal sections they crack and can come apart. applying this whole orange strip was a disaster, luckily the decals came with a square of excess decal so i could patch it up - but lets be honest, it looks crap. also just below the reg and the 2nd rear door the decals crumpled on a curved section of fuselage

IMG_20151122_104430.jpg

I've already started scraping of the paint. so far this is what i think has to be considered

*nose reshaping?? too much like DC10?

*straightening the tail profile - too curved?

*etched wing areas - also like trenches. They seem very simplistic and I doubt they are correct??

This is what i know I have to do

*get rid of the plastic wall in the no2 engine

*fill trench passenger doors

*insert a hole for the aircraft stand as I'd glued it straight on the fuselage (very unstable) 

*upper wing surfaces to be painted white

*inner orange area to be painted rather than use giant decal (will use a sticky template of decal for accuracy)

I'd also like to know if braz do any RR resin engines? as the ones i have aren't the best (like lumps of plastic)

As well as ordering new decals from 26, I have ordered 3d cockpit and window decals from authentic airliners on recommendation - thanks!

• Like 3

Hi Phil.

This looks to be going to be another fine job.

I built a Revell TriStar some years agon.I also posted it on BM.Unfortunately Photobucket blocked the pics as you might have read in another thread.I need to find another way first where to upload pics again.Thats also the reason why I wasn't able to send you a pic of my 767 detail set I had offered you.

Correcting the Revell TriStar isn't that difficult.The shape of the kit is right for the most part,much better than the Airfix kit.

I corrected the nose by simply cut away half of the cockpits side window.That way you can glue the window piece further back.The small gap that will appear at the front and the window itself were plastered with putty.As Revells kit has thick enough plastic you can simply sand the cockpit area and the nose to shape.

The fuselage has,as you had mentioned,trench like doors and cargo doors.Also note that the cargo doors appear on both fuselage halves which is of course completely wrong.Fill all the doors and sand them flush and use decals later.Also the air inlets below the cockpit need decal replacement.

NAZCA dcals offer a superb detail set that has all details needed to enhance the overall look,also for the engines.They also offer coroguard sets for the wings which look terrific.

Depending on what version you want to build,70s or later versions you can use the kits engines or you buy aftermarket ones as the Braz resin engines.

The holds for the engines at the wings need to be sanded off as the engines would sit a bit too low otherwise.I guess you will build your model in flight so I wont go into detail with the landing gear.

But thats mostly all what you need to correct.I am pretty happy with my Revell TriStar after these modifications.Still have the Cutaway kit in my stash which I am looking forward to do somewhere this year.

I hope I was able to help ,if you have more questions just ask.If I find another way to upload pics I can post some shots of my Revell kit.

Cheers and happy modelling

Alex

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Alex1978 said:

Hi Phil.

This looks to be going to be another fine job.

I built a Revell TriStar some years agon.I also posted it on BM.Unfortunately Photobucket blocked the pics as you might have read in another thread.I need to find another way first where to upload pics again.Thats also the reason why I wasn't able to send you a pic of my 767 detail set I had offered you.

Correcting the Revell TriStar isn't that difficult.The shape of the kit is right for the most part,much better than the Airfix kit.

I corrected the nose by simply cut away half of the cockpits side window.That way you can glue the window piece further back.The small gap that will appear at the front and the window itself were plastered with putty.As Revells kit has thick enough plastic you can simply sand the cockpit area and the nose to shape.

The fuselage has,as you had mentioned,trench like doors and cargo doors.Also note that the cargo doors appear on both fuselage halves which is of course completely wrong.Fill all the doors and sand them flush and use decals later.Also the air inlets below the cockpit need decal replacement.

NAZCA dcals offer a superb detail set that has all details needed to enhance the overall look,also for the engines.They also offer coroguard sets for the wings which look terrific.

Depending on what version you want to build,70s or later versions you can use the kits engines or you buy aftermarket ones as the Braz resin engines.

The holds for the engines at the wings need to be sanded off as the engines would sit a bit too low otherwise.I guess you will build your model in flight so I wont go into detail with the landing gear.

But thats mostly all what you need to correct.I am pretty happy with my Revell TriStar after these modifications.Still have the Cutaway kit in my stash which I am looking forward to do somewhere this year.

I hope I was able to help ,if you have more questions just ask.If I find another way to upload pics I can post some shots of my Revell kit.

Cheers and happy modelling

Alex

alex thats brilliant - thats everything i need to know to proceed! this is defo the 70s version as this particular scheme I'm doing was one of the first off the flight line I believe

had an idea about the engine wall in the no2... might just drill it out then use sand paper wrapped around a battery or something similar!

I had the same problem with photobucket - I'm using 'ImgBB' now, its free and a million times better than photobucket. uploading is a lot quicker and theres no stupid adverts

• Like 1

Thank you for the info on the ImgBB.I will check it out.

Glad I could help you out.

Once i switched to ImgBB I will post some pics of my TriStar and the cockpit area.

• Like 1

Here some pics of my Revell TriStar with corrected nose profile and NAZCA detail set decals.The Delta decals are taken from the kit.

2014_11_24_10_14_41.jpg

2014_11_24_10_11_51.jpg

Edited by Alex1978
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Alex1978 said:

Here some pics of my Revell TriStar with corrected nose profile and NAZCA detail set decals.The Delta decals are taken from the kit.

2014_11_24_10_14_41.jpg

2014_11_24_10_11_51.jpg

thats the one i remember! the nazca decals are superb and also the best delta scheme!

• Like 1

I need to remove part of the model to get inside the fuselage for 2 main reasons

1. Stripping the paint has weakened the plastic and the fuselage joints, i am going to add some plastic tabs to the joins and reinforce the base with plastic card

2. I need cut away an area for the stand to be attached to (rather than glue it directly on the fuselage) 

This marks the area where the stand will be attached 

IMG_20170711_212457.jpg

a piece of plastic card behind this should do the trick to support the stand

IMG_20170712_215508.jpg

This is the section of fuselage to be removed and later glued back into position (it will actually be removed just above the windows, extreme yes but i'm going ahead)

IMG_20170711_224218.jpg

used quite a fine saw so the original piece should go back seamlessly (i pray)

IMG_20170712_215624.jpg

the base of the fuselage now fully reinforced with plastic card

IMG_20170712_221843.jpg

finally the area is further strengthened with milliput and now the gap for the stand has been covered 

IMG_20170712_232452.jpg

IMG_20170716_225233.jpg

and the roof is back on....

IMG_20170714_003254.jpg

I removed the plastic wall in the engine no2 by drilling it out then using a circular piece of sandpaper to take out the rough edge. Then i found some metal pipe to use to strengthen the surrounding engine as its been weakened with the wall being removed. (ignore the fuselage being open as this was a previous shot)

IMG_20170712_222223.jpg

found this front lip of a 767 engine which will smarten up the appearance of this one 

IMG_20170716_200939.jpg

IMG_20170716_203648.jpg

IMG_20170716_204355.jpgIMG_20170716_225209.jpgIMG_20170716_225202.jpg

tried to reshape the nose, windows went back a bit further and increased the curve of the nose. still needs a bit work

IMG_20170716_225301.jpg

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, phil1 said:

I need to remove part of the model to get inside the fuselage for 2 main reasons

1. Stripping the paint has weakened the plastic and the fuselage joints, i am going to add some plastic tabs to the joins and reinforce the base with plastic card

2. I need cut away an area for the stand to be attached to (rather than glue it directly on the fuselage) 

This marks the area where the stand will be attached 

IMG_20170711_212457.jpg

a piece of plastic card behind this should do the trick to support the stand

IMG_20170712_215508.jpg

This is the section of fuselage to be removed and later glued back into position (it will actually be removed just above the windows, extreme yes but i'm going ahead)

IMG_20170711_224218.jpg

used quite a fine saw so the original piece should go back seamlessly (i pray)

IMG_20170712_215624.jpg

the base of the fuselage now fully reinforced with plastic card

IMG_20170712_221843.jpg

finally the area is further strengthened with milliput and now the gap for the stand has been covered 

IMG_20170712_232452.jpg

IMG_20170716_225233.jpg

and the roof is back on....

IMG_20170714_003254.jpg

I removed the plastic wall in the engine no2 by drilling it out then using a circular piece of sandpaper to take out the rough edge. Then i found some metal pipe to use to strengthen the surrounding engine as its been weakened with the wall being removed. (ignore the fuselage being open as this was a previous shot)

IMG_20170712_222223.jpg

found this front lip of a 767 engine which will smarten up the appearance of this one 

IMG_20170716_200939.jpg

IMG_20170716_203648.jpg

IMG_20170716_204355.jpgIMG_20170716_225209.jpgIMG_20170716_225202.jpg

tried to reshape the nose, windows went back a bit further and increased the curve of the nose. still needs a bit work

IMG_20170716_225301.jpg

This looks very impressive.

• Like 1

Rather you than me!  I've never tried a refurbishment as ambitious as this but I've done the odd Revell A320 and Airfix B737 and sometimes reworking an old model is more challenging than building a new one.  I'll follow this with interest.

Am I correct in understanding that you plan to re-finish the model in Court Line colours?  If so both G-BAAA and G-BAAB had the early design of engine as supplied in the Revell kit.  

I hope you don't mind me pointing out that the upper surfaces of the wings and tailplanes on the Court Line aircraft were plain white and not aluminium with Corrogard as your model was originally painted.  You'll find the painting instructions with the 26 decals very helpful.  Ray has actually issued his Court Line decals twice - originally for the Welsh Models kit and more recently adjusted to fit the Eastern Express kit. When the decals arrive it might be an idea to photocopy them and use the copies as templates to see how they will fit the Revell model.

I understand that BraZ are planning to produce the later engines (intended as replacements for the Eastern Express kit which also has the early design) but I don't think they're in production yet.  They certainly aren't on the website.

HTH

Dave G

Edit - Here is a link to some discussion about the forthcoming BraZ engines.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Skodadriver said:

Rather you than me!  I've never tried a refurbishment as ambitious as this but I've done the odd Revell A320 and Airfix B737 and sometimes reworking an old model is more challenging than building a new one.  I'll follow this with interest.

Am I correct in understanding that you plan to re-finish the model in Court Line colours?  If so both G-BAAA and G-BAAB had the early design of engine as supplied in the Revell kit.  

I hope you don't mind me pointing out that the upper surfaces of the wings and tailplanes on the Court Line aircraft were plain white and not aluminium with Corrogard as your model was originally painted.  You'll find the painting instructions with the 26 decals very helpful.  Ray has actually issued his Court Line decals twice - originally for the Welsh Models kit and more recently adjusted to fit the Eastern Express kit. When the decals arrive it might be an idea to photocopy them and use the copies as templates to see how they will fit the Revell model.

I understand that BraZ are planning to produce the later engines (intended as replacements for the Eastern Express kit which also has the early design) but I don't think they're in production yet.  They certainly aren't on the website.

HTH

Dave G

Edit - Here is a link to some discussion about the forthcoming BraZ engines.

thanks dave, its certainly a challenge but I always feel like I've got nothing to lose with a job like this so i've just thrown myself into it. yes mate exactly the same -G-BAAA. You are 100% - I have the engines with the early design - they are quite poor but I don't think I have the patience to wait for the braz ones unless I knew they were further than development. Thanks for pointing that out mate, my original error with the paint job on the wings was one of the reasons i decided to strip the paint and begin again - ive got a new set from 26 and i see what you mean!

Youve read my mind with the templates - i intend to use some sticky paper so i can fix the copies in place - i think i intend to paint the 'middle' stripe rather than use the decal but I will make a decision nearer the time as there are the white stripes inbetween which present a problem

Phil

14 hours ago, TrojanThunder said:

Nice work Phil, the refurb is going well, how bad was the nose and where did you remove the excess?

:thumbsup:

thank you ray - the nose (i believe) wasn't as bad as the airfix kit but was still wrong. i think the cockpit window had to come back a few millimetres and as i didnt have one i just filled away the milliput - this allowed a bit more curve at the top of the nose as the nose is quite prominent in real life - alex's delta further up the thread is a great job of it

before the primer goes on i will probably have another look at it 

This was the original model before the first attempt with no alteration to the nose - I think its more like the caravelle or maybe thats just me!

IMG_20150929_132924.jpg

Thanks Phil, I see the difference now.

I have an Airfix L1011 in the stash I was going to build as Orbital's Pegasus launch platform. Was never able to find the Revell version. Looks like a few minor mods are in order when the time comes.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, TrojanThunder said:

Thanks Phil, I see the difference now.

I have an Airfix L1011 in the stash I was going to build as Orbital's Pegasus launch platform. Was never able to find the Revell version. Looks like a few minor mods are in order when the time comes.

great idea mate! i think the Orbital one could be the last tristar to fly?? there was one flown from tucson to kansas city last week after being grounded for 16 years but was being delivered to an aviation museum 

Phil

• Like 2

1 hour ago, phil1 said:

great idea mate! i think the Orbital one could be the last tristar to fly?? there was one flown from tucson to kansas city last week after being grounded for 16 years but was being delivered to an aviation museum 

Phil

The Orbital TriStar is the very last TriStar in service today.Its planned to operate her for a few more years.

There was once a rumour that a TriStar should be fully restored and made airworthy again for airshows and roundflights.No idea what happened to these plans...

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

made some significant progress with this one, unfortunately I wrecked my phone and lost all my update pictures

since last time i have

1. Remodeled the tail engine as although looked fine in photos there was a significant difference in shape from the lip and the engine. 

2. Primer (Tamiya white) - thanks for the tip for whoever recommended this stuff - apologies for not remembering

3. 3 main colours added in stages.....the top yellow Revell 12 (added some gloss white), the middle Humbrol 69 (added a little Revell 30) and finally Revell 30 (added a little gloss white) for the base. The middle area has been supplied in transfers but they are poor. 

4. The white stripes have been painted on inbetween the different sections (PAINSTAKING!)

5. Nose painted matt dark grey

6. All white features such as ailerons on the underside

7. all metalic features added with alclad polished aluminium

8. Authentic airliners decals added (which are superb!!)

the lighting isn't best on these photos, should have some updates soon

20170831_002159.jpg

20170831_002208.jpg

20170831_002224.jpg

• Like 1

That's looking very colourful indeed. I like it!* Built it a small a kid with the Air Canada markings.

As for flying Tristars, the ex RAF ones will now be used again in the US contracted to the US Navy.

Trevor

* predictive Texas struck again

• Like 1

some better pictures today

20170902_130920.jpg

20170902_130926.jpg

20170902_130947.jpg

oops! just when i thought i was nearly finished this happens.... i will have to order a new bottle of alclad polished aluminium

20170902_131401.jpg

One engine....

20170902_131412.jpg

2 engine... got a bit gloss going on over the metal finish (mainly to protect the finish) 

20170902_131425.jpg