1/72 Potez XXV from Azur-Frrom

John Thompson

1 hour ago, Learstang said:

I will be buying a couple of these - one for the Spanish Civil War, and one for the Gran Chaco War. Now about a Br.19...

Regards,

Jason

Perhaps another one for Abyssinian-Italy war?

238_1.jpg

po25-3_1930.png

po25-2_1930.png

po25-1_1929.png

http://www.crezan.net/pag_aby/abyssinia_avi_po25.html

po25_hispano.png

Cheers

J-W

Edited by JWM
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, MarkoZG said:

From what was announced, beside these two Frrom boxings, we could expect G&R Jupiter, TOE and Polish version, but no Salmson unfortunately.

Sad that not Salmson, but on other hand - some field for building a scratch conversion! :)

Another field for conversion is hydroplane, from Indochine 1939:

21_2.jpg

Cheers

J-W

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, JWM said:

Sad that not Salmson, but on other hand - some field for building a scratch conversion! :)

Another field for conversion is hydroplane, from Indochine 1939:

21_2.jpg

Cheers

J-W

I say go for it (both the Salmson variant and the floatplane), J-W! Regarding the Abyssinian-Italian War, I'm almost surprised the Abyssinians had any aircraft, but by 1935/1936 I suppose just about every self-respecting country had at least a few aeroplanes.

Regards,

Jason 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Learstang said:

I say go for it (both the Salmson variant and the floatplane), J-W! Regarding the Abyssinian-Italian War, I'm almost surprised the Abyssinians had any aircraft, but by 1935/1936 I suppose just about every self-respecting country had at least a few aeroplanes.

Regards,

Jason 

The Salmson from SCW is very likely! :)

Yhere were few airplanes used on Ethiopian (Abyssinian) side in war with Italy. Here are some photos of Abyssinian airplanes including Fokker F VII/1 and Junkers W 33

https://thomasesimmons.net/books/the-man-called-brown-condor/

I have in stash Broplan's Fokker F VII with Lorrain engine and I will go with this red-cross machine from Abyssinia...

238_1.jpg

Cheers

J-W

• Like 3

Interesting link, J-W! I had never heard of the pilot John Robinson before. I suppose I need to start reading a bit more about aviation outside of the Great Patriotic War. 

Regards,

Jason 

Edited by Learstang
Removed redundant comment.
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Feared it was gonna cost a bomb like some boutique resin kits and they didn't disappoint .  

28GBP preorder rate and 30.99 is the actual MRP for a 72nd scale biplane kit . Nice nice ...

2 hours ago, Torbjorn said:

It does seem pricey. Is the high price warranted - would I be paying for quality or unusually high development/production costs? I have never bought anything from this constellation, so genuinely curious.

This brand , Ffrom-Azur , is an enigma . Some of their kits are reasonably marked up . Some command outrageous rates. Some are crude like short run kits and others have locating pin and all . I have two or three of their kits and those are all short runs - very well detailed though with PE and resin bits.

This particular model has been tooled by Special hobby -their own kits of similar nature are marked below 15GBP. Why this one is twice as much I have no clue but it would appear both brands are taking their own separate cuts from us - that makes no sense economically speaking. 

End of the day , how high can the quality be ? surely not any higher than say an Eduard biplane kit - those retail for around 8-15 euro . So we are likely paying for high development cost and to two separate brands(Ffrom and Special hobby) no less .

Edited by Basuroy

• 2 months later...
3 hours ago, Homebee said:

New Special Hobby boxing - ref.  SH72407 - Potez 25 TOE - expected in January 2020

Source: http://www.specialhobby.info/2019/11/news-from-special-hobby-122019.html

POTEZ25.jpg

V.P.

Hopefully this one will be cheaper. All Special Hobby boxings are cheaper than FRROM ones.

On 8/30/2019 at 10:24 AM, Basuroy said:

say an Eduard biplane kit - those retail for around 8-15 euro .

Please consider it is really big plane. I suppose twice as big as all those Eduard biplanes. Or more. But I agree the FRROM kit is extremely expensive.

On 11/15/2019 at 8:25 PM, GrzeM said:

Please consider it is really big plane. I suppose twice as big as all those Eduard biplanes. Or more. But I agree the FRROM kit is extremely expensive.

Well, the Junkers J.1 is larger, but for the rest yes.

The Vildebeest/Vincent has similar prices, but is a bit bigger. BTW - the another kit of Azur/SH, the IAR-37,38,39 is the best approximation of size of Potez as it was a far developmnet of Potez XXV. IAR factory was producung under licence Potez XXV and it was staring point for construction of IAR 37. The construction of wing is almost exact copy (ok, with rounded wingtips but Breguet XIX in last variants had also rounded tips)...Look at the geometry of lowe r and upper wings and also the geometry of struts and riging. 

Perhaps a bit similar story like between PZ P 24 and IAR 80.

Cheers

J-W

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Source: http://www.frrom.com/index.php?page=Accueil-2

We are preparing two decal sheets for Potez 25 A2/B2 Lorraine or Hispano. These decal sheets should allow to build very colourful aircraft from Ethiopia, Aéropostale : F-AJDX modified from A2/B2 Lorraine, F-AJDZ modified from TOE (coming, Special Hobby), Paraguay, Uruguay, Poland, Greece, Japan, China, France, Yougoslavia, maybe Portugal ...). Release expected for early 2020.

72407-00-1.jpg

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 2