M1 Assault Breacher Vehicle

This is Rye Field's latest.  Based on an Abrams chassis with a plow on the front and some 350ft lines with 5lbs of C4 every foot to clear mines.

Just started so not much accomplished and it looks pretty involved.  And pretty ugly.

Something new for Rye Field is link and length tracks rather than the 960 pieces of individual links on my two other Rye Field Abrams.

That is a waste as half the track is hidden by the skirts and something like 6 pieces per link is too much.

No gun other than a 50cal machine gun for self defence but lots of reactive armour on the "turret".

YnxSlLf.jpgrEQEAwR.jpg22jBrVR.jpg

• Like 3

Nice start. Good to hear they've included link and length tracks. Hopefully it's getting more common as Takom have included them with some of their recent releases. I think manufacturers are finally cottoning on to the fact that modellers don't want to spend hours putting 1000 part track runs together.

Andy

Thanks Andy

Yes the indy links are nice but they get real old pretty quickly when there's 1000 track pieces per vehicle. For WW2 German Panthers and Tigers yes I can see

individual links  but for everything else and modern armour, just forget it.

Lloyd

Thanks Terry

This one has a sh** load of parts, I've been on the turret all day and not even close to half assembled yet.  Rye Field kind of dropped the ball on some of the 

instructions, more pictures would be nice like for the smoke grenade launchers and a few other places I've ran into already.  I think the plow and mount is going to be real fun to assemble and will have to be built in modules so it can be painted then assembled hopefully.

It's a pretty busy model with lots of open or closed hatches and mounts for the explosive lines and some sort of what looks like tiny rockets that also have the mounts open or closed.  I suppose the rockets were to launch the lines but the lines are inside two boxes that open and the rockets are in openable mountings behind the lines, strange stuff.

There's no colour call out for the insides of either of those so some research is in order.

Sure is ugly but it is different.  Watched a youtube of some of these in action and they are beasts.  One of them even pulled a stuck Abrams out of a mud hole.

Lloyd

Edited by BlackMax12

8 hours ago, AndyRM101 said:

I think manufacturers are finally cottoning on to the fact that modellers don't want to spend hours putting 1000 part track runs together.

Well, as a matter of fact some of them do. :P

And at times they're able and willing to pay quite a lot of money for it.

But don't tell my wife.

This looks interesting Lloyd. I've never been a fan of the Abrams but the aesthetically challenged appearance is.........different. When I saw the box art, the first thought that came to mind was preying mantis. They should have called it that.

John. 

Finally got the turret assembled, all 272 pieces.  Still waffling on whether to make the explosive line compartments open or closed.

This is going to be fun to paint......not.  I've left the hatches for the explosive lines loose for now so I can paint the interiors if I go that way.

Need a break before starting the hull and running gear.  And forgot the smoke grenades on one side.

Here it is so far

H9zjp3Z.jpgZHSXkkQ.jpgYZBkh9W.jpgFBrmvzJ.jpgFV3f3Ev.jpg

• Like 4

Thanks Al

Looks like they replace the whole container which is pre-loaded with the explosive lines.  That makes sense as trying to put each line in there without

tangles would be a chore.  There are about 50 little rockets and they must come as a package to reload also. I still haven't figured out how they attach the

lines to the rockets before firing.  It must be automated as I can't see a crewman doing it outside the protection of the vehicle and possibly under fire.

I started the plow last night and it's quite a project.  Lots and lots of parts and the instructions aren't that great and some of the parts are mislabeled which is

even more fun.  Also don't know why they didn't mould the screens above the blades from plastic rather that trying to glue 10 little

pieces of photo etch to two lengths of wire and keep them spaced properly and straight.  Quite tedious and they end up looking like they were bent and bruised in action

which might be a good thing actually.  The whole plow is meant to move up and down but mine just might end up fixed in one position. Not intentional but some of the

pivot positions are hard to glue and still make them moveable.  Tamiya Extra Thin tends to run where it shouldn't sometimes.

Still haven't started the running gear and tracks so it doesn't really look like a tank yet.

Lloyd

It has a third of the plow assembly hanging off the front now and finally some tracks so it looks like a tracked vehicle.  That plow is a project, a big project.

Those new Rye Field link and length tracks are a big improvement over the indy links they supplied on the previous Abrams versions, are easy to assemble and actually look pretty decent.

sg2OARy.jpgxgcKJXH.jpgOu82vwC.jpgHliAQRe.jpgzJoqcCw.jpgYwIzZW8.jpg

• Like 3

Got the rocket assembly completed and the side skirts dry fitted and the rest of the plow complete.  The plow is just sitting not attached for now as it still needs the one upper grid assembly for the right side.

I built two the same and of course one was backwards so had to rip it apart and try to build it opposite of the instructions as they only give you one template and it's only for the left side.

Threw away the wire they supply and used Evergreen 0.020" rod as I couldn't get the wire completely straight.

It's going to be fun to paint this I believe.

ngF3Zcc.jpg2dYnO4f.jpgoSsJV8U.jpgdNswQFq.jpgEvhxAbi.jpgEliqp3R.jpg

Edited by BlackMax12
  • Like 5

Got the second grid built backwards over the right plow blade.  Positioned one of the explosive line hatches open.

Filling some obvious seams and still need the photo etch plates on top of the side skirts.

Slowing down on this one and wondering how I'll ever paint it.

jpbYSo3.jpgYa2iqcQ.jpgf6ojdKe.jpgbNPZJ6I.jpg

• Like 3

A coat of Tamiya NATO Black as a primer and then a light coat of Tamiya Buff.  Maybe some Tamiya Wooden Deck Tan in places later.

The side skirts are just dry fitted as removing and installing the tracks isn't easy.  Wish now I had left the top run of tracks off.

Painted the tracks NATO Black then left the rubber pads black and the rest of the track links dry brushed with Tamiya Deck Linoleum.

Still needs lots of work and now wish I had left some parts off until painted.  That plow is not a lot of fun to build and not easy to paint.

FCoSj5k.jpgwUKmcZN.jpgdlQIBA4.jpgm4XaMml.jpg2K31Xsq.jpggmI3god.jpgtSQOqiO.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks Bull

Thanks Gaz

Yes this one has been a Royal PITA and it's not done.........it should have been a paint-as-you-go but some dummy got too eager to see it assembled.

It does kind of resemble a preying mantis though and the female eats the male which I think this thing might do to me before it's complete.

Lloyd