My town from the air.

A slight twist on the forum title "Aviation Photography".

Here's a shot I've just dug out the archive of my town from the air:

y4mLKeQYsEz-rKhZGQ_JXbpUJkNlxONNol9Kg-6c

Taken 23/06/2009 from my Uncles Escapade.

Not a great shot, but I like it.

How about some pictures of your town from the air?

Rick. 

• Like 5

Just freaking myself out at the moment, because I don't know how I knew that. I've never been there and when I checked on the map, it isn't where I thought it was. I must have remembered it from the flood footage on the telly. Odd.

Did the flood affect you?

• Like 1

Interesting topic, here's a few shots I took of Brno during a flight in 2012. A few smaller details have changed, but the areas in these shots haven't changed a lot since then.

This is the main square in the centre

N73fTEC.jpg

This is the centre and areas beyond as seen from the east

M7heXmS.jpg

This is Špilberk fortress, one of the main landmarks in the centre

r6SFFl2.jpg

The exhibition grounds

pPaR5t6.jpg

• Like 4

A bit bigger than my town Upnorth!

As for running out of bear, the big flood of 2007 was mid year. Shorts weather.

No one could get in or out of town for a few days. So what was the most sensible thing to do? Yep, we had a street party!

The flooded pubs just dragged as much of their stock out and set up beer tents.

The flood wasn't a hardship for most of us.

True, many people did suffer, be we were fine. It's taken a number of house moves to get the house we now have, but it's one of the highest in town!

When your place does get flooded, you move!
Rick.

• Like 2

Nice one Rick, and a terrific pic, of one of favourite towns with some of my favourite pubs in the area, when back when in the early to mid eighties. The Upton Point to Point meet day, (never ever saw a horse from the beer tents) and the Upton Folk Festival, where all legendary days and weekend's away, during my Kieth Richards style sabbatical days with good friends many years ago now. And now based just up the road in Great Malvern, it's now my quick cross country route to access the M5. 

Have a great rest of your weekend just down the road. Cheers 

• Like 1

On 7/9/2017 at 2:20 PM, picard said:

Nice one Rick, and a terrific pic, of one of favourite towns with some of my favourite pubs in the area, when back when in the early to mid eighties. The Upton Point to Point meet day, (never ever saw a horse from the beer tents) and the Upton Folk Festival, where all legendary days and weekend's away, during my Kieth Richards style sabbatical days with good friends many years ago now. And now based just up the road in Great Malvern, it's now my quick cross country route to access the M5. 

Have a great rest of your weekend just down the road. Cheers 

Ahhh, sadly the Point to Point is no more! 

I did see a horse once. Just as it went past the beer tent entrance!

The Folk Fest is still going strong, and we have the Blues Fest coming up very soon.

The Jazz Fest is dying. Very slowly, just like the followers...

Rick,

Proud to be from Oop North, but happier/drier living in South Worcestershire!

Fortunately, I wasn't there at the time, though foresrerab was there, helping to fight the fires. The first two days of evacuation my family and I spent in a workcamp 70 kilometres north of town. We then were allowed to drive south and we then spent the next month at my sister-in-law's farm a four hour drive south.

My thanks to member foresterab for keeping me informed of the situation during that time as he was up there, keeping an eye on things.

Chris

• Like 1

Stow (of Wedale) in the Scottish Borders (six miles north of Galashiels) - my village for the past eight years.

Stow_Aerial_500.jpg

I live in a 250 year old stone cottage below the white "X". At the bottom of the screen is the Gala Water with a 17th century pack horse bridge crossing it. The A7 is beyond that with the church of St Mary of Wedale behind.

Dave

• Like 1

Not quite  " from the air " image but it is of my town. It a view across The Clearwater River, looking northeast. Im posting to test posting Flickr images using my IPad. That's all I had last year during the evac.