Spitfire Mk.XVI highback with late wing

Wm Blecky

You know, try as I might, I have been unable to locate any pictures of a Spitfire Mk.XVI with the "high back" and late wing with wheel well bulge.  I picked up a couple of these kits from Eduard in 1/72 and have been looking for some pictures of one.  Can anyone point me in the right direction?  Thanks,

i'm guessing the OP is after a period shot, FU-P being a restored aircraft, there is no guarantee that it hasn't had later mods applied in the interests of operational convenience.

Steve

I'm wondering how many, if any, high-back LF.XVIs with the late bulges existed.  I'm assuming the bubble canopy eventually completely superseded the highback on the production lines and also that there would be a degree of inertia in running down said production lines as the war drew to its close.  So, with a surfeit of bubble-canopied Spitfires to the latest mod standard still coming off the production lines, it would surely be easier for the RAF to discard highbacks and replace with zero-hour bubble-canopy aircraft rather than go to the trouble of modifying them.

All just the purest speculation on my part.

• Like 1

Graham,

Shortly before his passing, Edgar found documents, which he fortunately copied, that show that this teardrop bulge began to appear on (albeit in small numbers) low back XVIs in squadron service in mid March 1945.

While high back XVIs with these bulges are certainly (in my experience) a rarity, if memory serves, the Mk XVI TB752 at the Manston museum which is a high back XVI with the wheel well bulge, had the extant wings fitted prior to being re-issued to 403 Sqn in April 1945 following an earlier single undercarriage leg failure.

Cheers

Dave

Thanks everyone.  Yes, I am shot!  I have found nothing showing high back Spitfires with the late wing (other than now in the link Old Fogey provided - thank you!).

I have a few decal sheets from LifeLike to do the bubble top version (of which there are numerous pictures).  I had hoped to find something that grabbed my interest for a high back one.  At the end of the day, not all is lost I suppose as I could swap wings and fuselages with one of my Mk.XVI bubbletops.  I'll end up with another late version bubbletop and a Spitfire Mk.IXe or Mk.XVI (problem is, I already have enough of those!  LOL)

• Like 1

Problem?  How?  You can NEVER have enough Spitfires!

Room to store them?  Well, that's a different problem entirely...

• Like 2