Eduard 1:48 Spitfire mkviii Aussie marking

Joss

Hi guys, as said in the chat thread picked this up at tank fest for a pretty penny. Not sure which one I'm going to make so many choices!! 

IMG_20170702_233904

Only planning on making the one but time will tell...

While my other build, Zulu, is in dry dock at the moment and the 109 nearly done I'm going to turn my hand to this and see how well I can butcher it ;)

Joss

Edited by Joss

Very nice start. Have you made up your mind which scheme it will be in yet?

Thanks Andrew, not sure, yet I've got the profipak as well, so I would like to do three different markings in the end.

I definitely want to do a large shark mouth one.

The brown and green one intrigues me so I might do Clive Caldwell's machine. And I would like to do a plain green and grey one (:

IMG_20170714_220631

IMG_20170714_220647

IMG_20170714_221123

These three stand out to me but looking through the book and I want to do all of them...

There's 31 options in this box and I normal struggle with choosing between 2 :doh:

Regards 

Joss

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Good day all, making progress on this, forgot how lovely these little kits are.

Right here's the interior

2017-07-14_10-40-22

IMG_20170714_225721

Can't really see much now that she is sealed up. 

IMG_20170722_174116

IMG_20170722_174057

Then a big jump. I've got the wings on and the lower cowling. Now a quick question what parts of the cowling do I fill?? Does the part where it meets the wing need filling or not??

IMG_20170725_213207

IMG_20170725_213259

Any help would be much appreciated!

Regards

Joss

• Like 1

Nice work Joss. In answer to your question regarding the cowling - because they are removable there would be a panel line where it meets the wing root. I would use a smear of filler and re-scribe or you could try some Perfect Plastic Putty to fill this and wipe away any excess with a damp cotton bud to leave a panel line, but this could look over size compared to the kit panel lines.

In the end it is your kit and it depends on what level of detail you are willing to accept. Keep up the good work and enjoy your build.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The fun part has begun!

I've got the blue down I went with Vallejo Azure blue over aks one. I then mixed up a lighter shade of blue with I lightened the panels up with very randomly. Then a coat of the original colour over top just to pull it back and tie it all together.

This is based coat plus highlights

IMG_20170826_123217

And then with after second original colour.

IMG_20170826_133634

The picture gives you an idea but there's abit more variation in person.

I then masked off to get the dark earth down.

Same process again just in brown, I used ak dark earth for the base,  however it kept clogging my airbrush and even after thinning <_< so I went back to Vallejo for the mixed colours and final coat.

IMG_20170826_150231

And then..

IMG_20170826_172359

I would have got the green down but couldn't find the blue tac so that all from yesterday.

Apparently these Australian based spits paint faded very fast and looking a photos some are in quite a state.

Anyway let me know what you think suggestions always welcome! 

Regards

Joss

Hello again I've got the paint job done and I'm starting to do the decals.

IMG_20170908_212130

IMG_20170908_212147

The darker patches around the roundels are sprayed using a mask made from tamiya masking tape. I would have done the roundels this way but unfortunately my circular cutter would not go small enough. Now for the many many little stencils.

One question though should I put the stencils on? As some of this aircraft was over painted, the mainly the green, would they have been reapplied? 

Regards

Joss

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...