Tamron lens?

phildagreek

Does anybody have any experience of Tamron lenses?

I'm looking for a new lens and I see Wex have a good deal currently on Tamron lenses, I have Sigma at the moment for my Canon and am tempted but I have read that Tamron make a good "budget lens", so is there any user information on here? Such as smooth operation, the lens lock, auto focus etc.

Cheers.

My daughter has a Tamron 100-300 on her Nikon D3200.  She's very pleased with it and has taken great pictures with the combination.

Tamron was always a reliable choice for non-OEM lenses back in film / manual focussing days!

Cheers Will 

• Like 3

Hi there,

it it all depends on which Tamron lens you are talking about and which Sigma lens you have.

Generally speaking it is own brand, Sigma then Tamron in terms of quality.  Have a look at reviews on the internet before you buy and think what you want it for. If it is in a sale, there is usually a reason why!

andy

• 1 year later...

Hi I work with a Tamron 90mm as a macro lens only pretty much. I have used this with both a cropped sensor and now a full-trame DSLR with prints up to A0 for gallery exhibition and projection much larger.

A very good lens in my opinion, all the shots on my blog were taken with this lens: militarymacro.wordpress.com

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I've been thinking about the new Tamron 70-210 f4 when funds allow. Then I think I could get a used 70-200 f2.8 for a similar price. Then I realise I wouldn't have time to use either of them and I shelve the idea! As @Red Dot says, there are good Tamron and bad Tamron. The same goes for Sigma and even the OEM lenses from your system of choice. I use a Sigma 17-50 f2.8 as my main 'quality' zoom. It's infinitely sharper than the 'consumer grade' Nikon 18-140mm. If you're technically minded then https://www.dxomark.com/ is a good place to compare the relative merits of lenses on different camera combinations. It helped me identify the Sigma as the best option for my D7100.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

For what it’s worth, feeling the need for an up to 400mm zoom (I used to be happy with an up to 300mm zoom but since new regulations were introduced after Shoreham aeroplanes display that bit further from the crowd line) I cast about for anew lens.  Amateur Photography magazine reviewed the Tamrin 17-400 lens and quite liked it.  I bought a used lens via an online auction site and it’s great.  An incredible range.  Not quite as sharp at 400mm perhaps so I try to limit to about 350 to 380mm.  I’m happy with it and can recommend it.

• Like 1