1/48 & 172 - Percival Proctor Mk.I/II/III/V & Vega Gull by Dora Wings - 1/72 & 1/48 released - new boxing 1/48 Proctor I

Homebee

Excellent! I can stop searching for old Frog Proctors now! I'm up for three when released. 

I think Dora Wings will be a company to keep an eye on.

Homebee; As ever, thanks for the heads-up!

Best regards;
Steve

The model will be made of plastic.
In terms of quality, it will be similar to the latest models of AMG (early Bf.109)
Great help in designing the model was provided by John Adams.

• Like 5

Yes.

The Proctor and the Waipiti in 1/72.

You have chosen my favourite era.

The Golden Age, it has suffered less than bronze coverage.

It's superb to see you embracing this era.

It would perhaps be prudent to start a thread, simular to the AZ thread, whereby enthusiasts of this era could make suggestions.

Meanwhile. Leopard Moth. DH Dragon. Laetcoere 28 😉.

Good luck with these releases and the early Bf-109 in 1/72.

All the best

T

• Like 2

On 07.07.2017 at 0:13 PM, fightersweep said:

Any rough ideas for release schedules and approximate prices? My cash is waiting! 

Best regards;

Steve

I hope that I can show the model in the 72nd scale on the SMW 2017.

Best regards,

Eugen

Lovely.  i'd very much like a 1/72 Proctor AND a Vega Gull in my collection.  If you feel inclined to put a Percival Prentice on your to do list that would be dandy!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Meatbox8 said:

If you feel inclined to put a Percival Prentice on your to do list that would be dandy!

....I'll second, third and fourth that motion!

Best regards;
Steve

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

As Dora wings have mentioned the proposed range I can release a little background.

Some time ago I found that there are no drawings of any use for the early Proctors (1-III) and Vega Gull. there are three published drawings of the Proctor IV which Frog did, but in my opinion this Mk was the "Fat lady singing" in the wooden Percival story and from modelling purposes it's the most useless for any other model development. It has a totally different fuselage both in profile and construction.

I was in possession of some copies of Percival (Model Workshop) Makers drawings of a number of the Gull family of which the Proctor despite the name is the last of the line. These I got from the late Mike Eacock who started his Aviation career with Percival.

When I started the background research I drew together all the stuff I had in my library including the books by Sylvester and the new Air Britain book By the late David Gearing, again ex Percival men.

Captain Edgar Percival apparently burnt all of the pre-war drawings, (or so I am reliably informed) of the Gull family, in dispute with Hunting's when they took over the company.  A set of microfitch drawings were found in Australia were they had been sent in WW.2.

These have been made available to me by an acquaintance who is rebuilding a number of Proctors so the drawings that I have produced and made available to Dora Wings have an excellent provinance.

So I had chapter and verse on the Proctors 1 to III. However fuselage dimensions in a number of published works were at odds and this raised questions about the developement of the military Proctor from the long span Vega Gull.  The statement in books by well respected writers regarding the modifications from the Vega to the Proctor 'the fuselage was 6" longer than the Vega Gull' meant that there is no smooth transition between the two aircraft for model design purposes.  I find that this is not so.

The RAF purchased a few Vegas and did not like the flat V frame windscreen of the Vega. They requested that the production Proctor should have the rounded windscreen of the short span Gull Six fitted to production aircraft. This is the major change that everyone is familiar with but from a modelling viewpoint this is just two separate canopies which will fit between Formers One and Five as the fuselage construction up to the top rails remained the same.. So where is the six inch longer fuselage change. There is a six inch difference but it's internal to the cabin area and the clue is on the outside on the port side.  The luggage shelf was extended by six inches on the Proctor so that the Radios could be accomodated and this shows by the larger bay access door on the port side.

Now the conundrum.  The length of a Vega Gull is given as 25' 6" and the Proctor 1 as 25' 10".  These dimensions are to be found in most publications, Flight, Aeroplane, Janes AWA, Putnam, and Sylvester and Gearing's books.  So a discrepancy of four inches between the two machines

However the Official repair manual for the Proctor gives the length as 26' 4"!  All these dimensions can't be correct !  Or can they? 

I'll get back to you on this later as Madame requires me to join her for a small sherry.

John

Edited by John Aero
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 3