1/48 & 172 - Percival Proctor Mk.I/II/III/V & Vega Gull by Dora Wings - 1/72 & 1/48 released - new boxing 1/48 Proctor I

Homebee

I'd really like these but fear that they nay be pricey The 72nd ones are now shy of £25.00 alone each. Not wishing to sound mean but hope they are worth the money.  Also there seems to be an awful lot of plastic in the sprue/ trees.

It's either worth it to you or it isn't. and you're the only one who will ever be able to decide that., depending on how much you want a 1/72 Gull Six or early Proctor. 

They aren't cheap at some retailers, I see Hannants are currently at more than £23 plus P&P, but they are also available from eBay retailers at £18 or £19 post paid, which is a lot more like it.

And they are the only game in town - the ancient Frog kit is a Proctor IV, a completely different airframe with only a superficial resemblance to the earlier Proctors. It's not a type that is ever going to sell in the numbers of a WW2 fighter so the unit price has to be higher than a more popular subject of similar size and parts count for it to be worth the risk for the manufacturer to produce it. 

If you want to know how they build up here are a couple of WIP and RFI threads which should enable you to decide whether you like the results enough to spend the money:

Edited by Work In Progress
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Work In Progress said:

I was directing my comments at the 48th ones True they are / will be the only ones in town. I do already have one of each of the 72nd ones bought before the price change but still feel they are expensive regardless like a lot of other kits nowadays.

8 hours ago, Paul J said:

I was directing my comments at the 48th ones True they are / will be the only ones in town. I do already have one of each of the 72nd ones bought before the price change but still feel they are expensive regardless like a lot of other kits nowadays.

Then the decision tree goes:

1. Do I really want a 1/48 early Proctor? Yes/No

if Yes...

2. How much more time would it take me to scratch-build one than to build one from this kit?

3. What value do I assign to my time?

4. Does the time cost of scratch-building outweigh the price of the kit (less the cost of the raw materials I would use)?

I suppose 5 might be "do I actually enjoy scratch-building?"

Yes, it's an expensive kit in absolute terms but so it needs to be to cover its costs given that the aeroplane is relatively dull and obscure compared  to more commercially attractive choices of subject. For me the answer is "I don't want a 1/48 early Proctor this much".  Whether that's true for you, only you can say.

• Like 1

Shame I can't comment on my thoughts on the cost of these kits without stirring things up; but I really hope that Dora Wings etc make a success producing these kits. Good on them. But for me, I'm out!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Paul J said:

Shame I can't comment on my thoughts on the cost of these kits without stirring things up

Basically Paul you have, with that comment. :lol:

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

6 hours ago, Work In Progress said:

That asymmetric scheme is pretty wacky and rather good

It's highly unlikely. The plane was first painted one colour overall with the 'Kiwi' marking (with what looks like a metallic paint, maybe blue). Then later, imo, the front portion was over painted silver with some trim in a 3rd colour (maybe red), retaining the original rear colour/registration.

There is no photo taken from an angle which shows the 'split' colour scheme on the plane; only side view photos from opposite sides at almost certainly, different times .  A case of 2+2=5. 

Ah.  What a pity. I must admit I could not immediate recall a precedent, and I have certainly never seen a photograph bearing it out. 

It also looked a bit to me as if someone may have mis-interpreted a shadow on a mono photograph

Aircraft have been painted in asymmetric schemes but I agree with Roger Holden that I'm not sure that this is one such.

If you have a look at the photos on Dora's F/B page, Dora have it that the wheel spats are also asymmetric, ie the silver wing has a silver spat and the red wing a red spat. The photos, however show either two silver spats or two red spats in the more colourful version. Also, the area under the nose looks very dark and doesn't appear to have a clear demarcation between the colours. Unless there's an eye-witness or better photographs, Dora's scheme looks unlikely. It also appears that in the original scheme, the simple fuselage fuselage stripe may have been a different colour to the rear fuselage.

I also think that it's two different schemes on two different occasions.

But I bet it'll become "fact" in a short while!

Dave 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Fastcat said:

But I bet it'll become "fact" in a short while!

Yeah......I hate it when that happens. Reminds me of the yellow/red colour scheme in the Heller Caudron Simoun kit which every one takes as gospel, when in fact it was silver/red , as per the pilot's other aircraft and confirmed in old newspaper reports.

• Like 1

Yes, it's one of the problems of guessing colours from monochrome photos.

One of the the Vega Gulls schemes is a bit iffy too. Joan, Lady Sherborne's Kings Cup winner (she didn't race it in 1952 although she was the owner) is shown as red and silver but the race programme describes it as blue and silver - not the Percival blue but a darker colour. It's impossible to tell from black and white photos and of course, the programme could be wrong.

I've so far failed to find anything definitive although I'm inclined to trust the programme.......................

Dave

19 minutes ago, Fastcat said:

I've so far failed to find anything definitive although I'm inclined to trust the programme.......................

Dave

Me too. I think that's as close to 'definitive' as you are likely to find.... 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
On 27/02/2019 at 19:25, tonyot said:

I have a photo of this very aircraft Dave and have the Vega Gull kit winging its way to me to build it as this one. Do you reckon it was TSS on top or just EDSG? 

T

@tonyot Hi Tony,

Found this this afternoon, an alternative scheme for X1032. 

https://abpic.co.uk/pictures/view/1740762

44 minutes ago, Dave Fleming said:

@tonyot Hi Tony,

Found this this afternoon, an alternative scheme for X1032. 

https://abpic.co.uk/pictures/view/1740762

Cheers Dave,.... good find. Liking the large rank pennant on the fuselage.

Edited by tonyot