1/48 & 172 - Percival Proctor Mk.I/II/III/V & Vega Gull by Dora Wings - 1/72 & 1/48 released - new boxing 1/48 Proctor I

Homebee

It says 'King's Cup Winner'. That plane had previously won the 1936 King's Cup race, flown by Charles Gardner.  Note that in the Schlesinger race it was fitted with a DH (Hamilton-Standard) controllable pitch prop, with no spinner,

which was not the usual propeller (probably fitted to decrease the take off run on the poor airstrips used on the route). I will e-mail you a better photo.... 

• Like 2

Just did a quick search & came across this on www.airport-data.com 

Does Anyone know what the name or inscription is on this aircraft I think it might read 'Kings Cup Winner' as it won that race previously that year 1936, I have written C.W.A. Scott's wikipedia page en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C._W._A._Scott as he was my great uncle but I can't seem to find this info from anywhere?? if anyone knows please comment!!
Jim Scott.

Hope this helps,

Jimbob. .

• Like 1

This photo is from 1950s. It took part in the 1950 and 1952 King's Cup race, to which the black and white numbers relate.  As such, it would carry the post-War style of registration in smaller size under the left wing only (not on top surface).

That seems to be confirmed by this photo:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Percival-P10-Vega-Gull-G-AFBC-B-amp-W-photograph-circa-pre-1950s-1960s-/162873433907?_ul=CL&nma=true&si=NkXwmvfpECllUixG0ACVk5PJBBI%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Some information on the history and unfortunate end here:

http://sussexhistoryforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=10438.0

• Thanks 2

EDIT, drat, I was a page behind!

I'd say the first word is "King" or "King's" and the last is a number ending in 6.

Was G-AEKE an entrant in the King's Cup race in 1936?

See scott.guthry.vega.gull.jpg

Edited by Vulcanicity
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Sergey Dulenko said:

Black code... Color scheme silver-dark red-silver?

Probably red registration, rather than black  (Note: code = military /  registration = civil) . Colour scheme is probably bright red/silver

One more (?) customer of Gull - Spain

Znalezione obrazy dla zapytania spanish percival vega gull

Note some mark on spinner. This is a post Civil War photo (in Molina-Mercado book described this way)   but likely it was in three colurs scheme typical for nationalists...Maybe there is some photos of it?

Cheers

J-W

12 minutes ago, JWM said:

One more (?) customer of Gull - Spain

Znalezione obrazy dla zapytania spanish percival vega gull

Note some mark on spinner. This is a post Civil War photo (in Molina-Mercado book described this way)   but likely it was in three colurs scheme typical for nationalists...Maybe there is some photos of it?

Cheers

J-W

Unfortunately, this is Percival Gull Six...

1 hour ago, JWM said:

Yes, this is Gull Six, not Proctor of course

Gull Six is different (earlier) airframe to Vega Gull/Proctor, with narrower fuselage and wing centre section. It would need a different kit.....

• Like 1

On ‎20‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 1:09 PM, Roger Holden said:

Gull Six is different (earlier) airframe to Vega Gull/Proctor, with narrower fuselage and wing centre section. It would need a different kit.....

And I, for one, would LOVE a Gull Six in 1/48!

Edited by k5054nz

For me one in the deep red and silver flying surfaces would be great. I just love the crimson/ deep red on 1930s civilian light aircraft. Must check and dust down my tin of Humbrol No.20 in readiness