Jump to content
This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

ivan-o

Self Loading Rifle 1/35

Recommended Posts

13 hours ago, rayprit said:

 

I think we maybe/ we are talking about the professional rivet counters or "Geeks" that roam this site(of which there are far to many) If it looks like an SLR(of which I have handled 100s during my time in the forces) it is an SLR....good greif, who is going to argue over a bump being in the wrong place or a hole missing at this scale?????.......we are modellers, are we not capable of adding the hole or removing the bump, or, failing that (hate to say this) ignore it, who will know?   Besides at this scale who would notice a slight imperfection but a geek or rivet counter.

 

Well, some here for a reason or the other are happier if they buy something that represents the real thing. If I buy an F-102 kit I want an F-102, not a mix between and F-102 and an F-106 (closest comparison to the FAL/SLR that came to my mind). If you're happy with something approximate not a problem, your call. But if I'm not happy with something that I have to pay for (even if this resin bits are cheap I still have to open my wallet for them), I can't see why I should accept something not up to my expectations.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Giorgio N said:

 

Well, some here for a reason or the other are happier if they buy something that represents the real thing. If I buy an F-102 kit I want an F-102, not a mix between and F-102 and an F-106 (closest comparison to the FAL/SLR that came to my mind). If you're happy with something approximate not a problem, your call. But if I'm not happy with something that I have to pay for (even if this resin bits are cheap I still have to open my wallet for them), I can't see why I should accept something not up to my expectations.

 

As I said earlier, there are Geeks and rivet counters on this site, far to many.............If I am after a product that is not available, I will buy the closest I feel happy with and work with it.  Trying to make an SLR in 1/35 from scratch in that scale is nigh on impossible(although, I do know people who could do it) To be able to have a basic SLR already made for you is an ideal starting point to work from, as a modeller, a good modeller with time and patience it is possible to achieve the finished product.

 

Some of us have not the money, or inclination to fork out high asking prices for kits, or for that matter the time to wait for a particular product to come onto the market, (in my case, at 70 years old, it will never happen) the only alternative is to buy what we think is the closest item to what we are looking for and work with it..........as modellers this should not be a major problem should it, just a matter of a file, a drill and a magnifying glass

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 14/07/2017 at 0:21 AM, ivan-o said:

Just been on Firestorms site and they are halfway down the figures page! If you want them here in the UK see my previous post,i got mine last week.

In this scale they look ok to me but if people want to nitpick about lumps and bumbs not being in the right place then don't use them.

For the price you are not going to get any better.

Happy modelling, that's it from me on the subject!!

 

I have checked the Firestorm page and still cannot find these SLRs.   Can you please provide a URL to them?  They don't appear to be there at all as far as I can see.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, rickshaw said:

 

I have checked the Firestorm page and still cannot find these SLRs.   Can you please provide a URL to them?  They don't appear to be there at all as far as I can see.

Here you are,

 

firestormmodels.com/store/home.php?cat=97www.

Edited by ivan-o

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Never was a great fan of the SLR, mainly because it was an absolute bar steward having to do bunny hops around the parade ground with one held above my head. My legs are still paying for that. Also, I couldn't hit the side of a barn with one, even if I was standing inside it! Much prefer the SMG. Got marksman on that. I was really pleased when I got posted Far East and we didn't use the SLR (no good in the close confines of the jungle).

 

John.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

Never was a great fan of the SLR, mainly because it was an absolute bar steward having to do bunny hops around the parade ground with one held above my head. My legs are still paying for that. Also, I couldn't hit the side of a barn with one, even if I was standing inside it! Much prefer the SMG. Got marksman on that. I was really pleased when I got posted Far East and we didn't use the SLR (no good in the close confines of the jungle).

 

John.

 

Except the Australian effort in South Vietnam disproved that.  The SMG was pretty much useless by then so we discarded it in favour of the M16 and wasn't that a piece of pooh weapon.  Never like the M16.  It's magazines used to fall out all the time but that may have been age and the minimal amount of maintenance carried out on the weapons post-Vietnam.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Brings back memories of the 25 Meter Range as we RAF Lads we are trained 25 Meter Snipers.

 

British Military figures from the SLR Period (late 1950's to early 1990's seem thin on the ground from all manu's.

 

With the release of Chieftains, 432's hopefully we will see more bits and bobs to go with them.

 

I am pushing a certain Manu to look at a 1/35 Bedford Mk or even Bedford RL, both these would sit well with AFV from that period. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, TIGER HOBBIESLIMITED said:

Brings back memories of the 25 Meter Range as we RAF Lads we are trained 25 Meter Snipers.

 

British Military figures from the SLR Period (late 1950's to early 1990's seem thin on the ground from all manu's.

 

With the release of Chieftains, 432's hopefully we will see more bits and bobs to go with them.

 

I am pushing a certain Manu to look at a 1/35 Bedford Mk or even Bedford RL, both these would sit well with AFV from that period. 

Yes, there is a big hole in market for Brit cold war period stuff other than tanks, need soldiers and soft skins.  Be nice see an Austin K series truck too, that's all that seems to appear in my Dad's REME National Serice pics from his time in Germany.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You think British equipment is thin on the ground - consider Australian!  No trucks, no (proper) APCs, no MBTs (other than Centurion).   No rifles, no SMGs.  No webbing, no packs, no uniforms.   Figures are few and far between.  :(:(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Targets WILL fall when hit , after carrying it for 6 months you  did feel the weight or your arms have been numb!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 29/10/2019 at 15:44, Miketheexrock said:

never for the transition from SLR to IW Sa80 nearly cryed with laughter after you pulled the trigger and got no recoil in comprasion. 

Maybe but you didn’t have to carry a 5.56 pencil for the ranges😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking in the Trumpeter catalogue most of the vehicles are Russian or Chinese with the odd British and American vehicles probably added to sweeten us british modeller. 

It's always the same most model manufactures seem to cater all marks of WW2 German Armour plus the odd weird vehicle that they had in the war but, as for British Military vehicles and figures from the Cold War years we have Centurion, Chieftain , 432 ( mk 2/1 Bulldog ) Warrior and that's it. There is a wealth of British Army trucks that would make very good modelling subjects such as, AEC, Albion, Austin, Bedford, Commer, Ford, Humber, Morris, Scammell & Thornycroft just to mention a few . As for myself I keep hoping that they bring out a model of a Abbot 105mm SPG & a Stalwart Arty Limber HMLC. ( maybe because I worked on both vehicles when I was in BAOR)  I know that Accurate Amour make both vehicles in Resin and KFS does the Stalwart also in Resin but all three models command a high price . So I'm still waiting for the normal  model manufacturers to get their bottom in gear and being out something from the British Army Cold War era.

Edited by Niallmhor4942
Forget something to add

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Niallmhor4942 said:

Looking in the Trumpeter catalogue most of the vehicles are Russian or Chinese with the odd British and American vehicles probably added to sweeten us british modeller. 

It's always the same most model manufactures seem to cater all marks of WW2 German Armour plus the odd weird vehicle that they had in the war but, as for British Military vehicles and figures from the Cold War years we have Centurion, Chieftain , 432 ( mk 2/1 Bulldog ) Warrior and that's it. There is a wealth of British Army trucks that would make very good modelling subjects such as, AEC, Albion, Austin, Bedford, Commer, Ford, Humber, Morris, Scammell & Thornycroft just to mention a few . As for myself I keep hoping that they bring out a model of a Abbot 105mm SPG .


Don’t forget the Challenger 1 from Tamiya, Scorpion and Scimitar from AFV Club, Dragon Saladin and Conqueror.

Revell Land Rovers ;) although early are still good kits. 

 

Those are all plastic kits and don’t include the Accurate Armour resin kits.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know where your coming from Dads203 , but it's all Armour not, the work horses of the Army from the end of the war to the present day  , AA and KFS have brought out models but it's a bit costly buying all resin kits unless you have very deep pockets .😉😉😉😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Slight thread drift here, so my apologies, but I would be extremely happy if one of the kit manufacturers produced either an Austin K6, Bedford RL or an AEC Militant. I can but live in hope.

 

John.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/31/2019 at 10:00 PM, Niallmhor4942 said:

Looking in the Trumpeter catalogue most of the vehicles are Russian or Chinese with the odd British and American vehicles probably added to sweeten us british modeller. 

It's always the same most model manufactures seem to cater all marks of WW2 German Armour plus the odd weird vehicle that they had in the war but, as for British Military vehicles and figures from the Cold War years we have Centurion, Chieftain , 432 ( mk 2/1 Bulldog ) Warrior and that's it. There is a wealth of British Army trucks that would make very good modelling subjects such as, AEC, Albion, Austin, Bedford, Commer, Ford, Humber, Morris, Scammell & Thornycroft just to mention a few . As for myself I keep hoping that they bring out a model of a Abbot 105mm SPG & a Stalwart Arty Limber HMLC. ( maybe because I worked on both vehicles when I was in BAOR)  I know that Accurate Amour make both vehicles in Resin and KFS does the Stalwart also in Resin but all three models command a high price . So I'm still waiting for the normal  model manufacturers to get their bottom in gear and being out something from the British Army Cold War era.

that is one thing against 1/35th scale, at least in 1/72 you can get quite a few cold war gb models, although mostly gaming models which can always be improved on with stowage ect.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Indian army used the british version of the FAL (L1a1) and our police force still uses it, very sturdy rifle, if somewhat cumbersome due to its length

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...