***Finished***Airfix Mig29 Polish AF

Ordered one of these so will be joining in, have done a mig 29 before, the italeri one very early in my time, was like the 3rd or 4th model I ever finished, don't think I have any pictures left of it unless its buried in the depths of my phone. 

zvezda1_72mig29a%20(1).jpg

Edited by PhantomBigStu
  • Like 4

I've pondered plumping for one of these online so be great watching how to build it. What schemes come with the boxing? Cheers

2 hours ago, Valkyrie said:

I've pondered plumping for one of these online so be great watching how to build it. What schemes come with the boxing? Cheers

Not seen inside the box for definite but I believe two of them is the pale green/grey as per the box art and the third is another wrap around with a darker grey. Will be choosing the green grey option as that's what I've got paint substitutions for. Wouldn't mind also doing polish option but zvezda inconveniently have not released the 9-12 edition for such so perhaps the airfix with its foibles with suffice 

Edited by PhantomBigStu
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Not seen inside the box for definite but I believe two of them is the pale green/grey as per the box art and the third is another wrap around with a darker grey. Will be choosing the green grey option as that's what I've got paint substitutions for. Wouldn't mind also doing polish option but zvezda inconveniently have not released the 9-12 edition for such so perhaps the airfix with its foibles with suffice 

I've just about finished the airfix MiG-29, I'm just a newbie and was an easy enough build, looks pretty good and the Polish decals look great for it, I've saved them for another MiG, along with the Czech markings. You can grab these cheap enough, was just a practice run for this GB before I attempt the Trumpeter..I want a Zvezda one 

Welcome aboard Stu, looks like you'll be the first with one of these so I guess there'll be a lot of interested parties following this build..

Good luck with the build, look forward to seeing what scheme you end up deciding to do.

• Like 1

On 04/07/2017 at 7:02 PM, Valkyrie said:

to comfirm

1. Training scheme with the sharkmouth in the green/grey 'angular' camo 

2. Operational scheme in the green/grey disruptive camo 

3. Operantional scheme in the dark grey/grey camo with sharkmouth and russian flag colours 

35589207952_8f5ccee68b_b.jpg

• Like 3

Oh these are good choices in the box, how you going to choose one?

thanks for showing the options, I love to know what's in the boxes and sure everyone does, I think il have to buy one now,

cheers! 

4 hours ago, Valkyrie said:

Oh these are good choices in the box, how you going to choose one?

thanks for showing the options, I love to know what's in the boxes and sure everyone does, I think il have to buy one now,

cheers! 

no 2, as I ordered suitable green paint with it and is an operational scehem 

• Like 1

Its a nice little kit, unusual in that can do all the cockpit painting in situ later on. Slight problem as I to prise the wing/fuselage halves apart as the gear doors got stuck inside, and also the smallest ones don't fit so filler is needed. Once thing Ill say is Zvezda tell you to only fit the gearwell boxes if building gear down, I'd say they need to be fitted if building gear up to stop the doors falling inward. 

• Like 2

Well the Zvezda didn't do so well, grey paint didn't go on and the kit didn't survive the stripping process, now back with the airfix kit, hopefully can use spares from the zvezda to enhance it, and pick up the revell rebox of the zvezda cheap to use the orignal decals 

04037-1.jpg&w=400&h=189

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well looks like this won't make it, have had to use filler on the nose gear bay and its proven a nightmare to sort, and whilst I could start the 2nd zvezda had no idea the dealine was so soon so I won't be finishing a build for this. :(

36552152683_d8f97148a8_b.jpg

Edited by PhantomBigStu

5 minutes ago, trickyrich said:

that's a shame Stu, but don't worry I think there's going to be a few who don't make it including myself!

What's funny is having said that i did a 15 minute sanding session and the result looks pretty good, though I've now got to refashion the trailing edge of one wing, accidentally sent it flying....

would have got the canopy on tonight but got saw a cheap hasegawa harrier av8b, and just wasted a load of time working out if I have the parts to do it as an raf one (answer I don't as it has the wrong outer pylon sprue which is not in my spares) 

37411725235_ed8a1200a1_b.jpg

Edited by PhantomBigStu
  • Like 1