Airfix Westland Sea King HU5

35 minutes ago, andyf117 said:

Please don't hate me, Dan, but something's not looking quite right....

...whose decals are you using? The Model Art ones? The Ace of Clubs insignia should have rounded corners, not right-angled ones.....

...the nose one looks OK, but those side ones definitely don't....

Just checked my decal sheets - JP got them wrong on his earlier 771 offering too, as did Cutting Edge on theirs...

...Almark's are a bit better - seems only Airfix got them right. Don't know about Model Alliance - haven't got theirs...

I've noticed a few errors on the Modelart sheet to be fair Andy, the rescue honours on the sponson sides and the fuselage sides are edged with black 

and they look wrong to my limited knowledge,  I've applied them and removed them again, shame really as if they printed them in white only it would of worked.  The tail codes again same script for the same reason so I might replace them at some point but I'm afraid the Ace of Clubs is going to stay. it's a small detail that I'm willing to compromise on and removing them will  probably mess up the paint:S 

Just checked the MA set and they look okay,

Dan  

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, andyf117 said:

As an alternative, the Model Art sheet includes the 60th Anniversary badges and ZA166 wore them - they'd probably completely cover the Ace of Clubs (may even have been applied directly over them on the aircraft themselves):

15013521699_f6274fd36e_o.jpg

Have to agree regarding the serial numbers - as the photo illustrates, they show up much more white, even though they are black outlined. The decal outline does look too heavy....

I shall have a good think about it tonight, I really wanted to keep the ace of clubs on the side of the nose TBH ;)

• Like 1

Very tidy looking paintwork and it looks great with the decals. As to weathering after a coat of gloss varnish I would give it a panel line wash with some thinned Payne's Grey oil paint. Then after a coat of matt or satin varnish maybe a light dusting of black pastel chalk under the rotor hub to simulate oil/dirt accumulation. I think the latter is optional as these machines appear to have been kept pretty clean.

• Thanks 1

Looking rather proper job now! She is really starting to come alive. For me the Ace of clubs doesn't detract from it. It was only because it was pointed out that I noticed, although now I've seen it I cant unsee it lol! Can't wait to see her in all her glory!

Bob

• Thanks 1

I agree with the comment on the serial number. The outline is so thin that I had to check it was there.

Using any excuse to show an SAR cab from HMS Gannet,I took this one when it was on a rescue on the hill behind my house a couple of years ago.Zoom in and you'll see what I mean about the serial.Shows the exhaust muck quite well too. It was a replacement so didn't have the full markings usually seen at Prestwick.

resized_aa2b953a-5063-456c-a9fb-6d22d2d6

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you chaps,

A few photo's in not so ideal lighting conditions but I've started the weathering process, its not complete, the red areas need a bit more work 

yet. Window masks have been removed and its looking okay, some areas need a bit of TLC yet. The sponson fitting was a nightmare, they didn't want to go on easily at all.

NATO black used for the exhaust stains, followed by Tamiya smoke in small quantities, a darker grey oil wash on the grey areas only and the red is yet to be done. This is not the finished article yet chaps 

and it still has a long way to go so please bare with me. :P  Items like the cabin door are only tacked on with Blue Tac, main landing gear is still not glued into the sponsons and the radome will get more weathering 

yet.  The snagging list is long.

40505967711_9d4bb14018_b.jpg

25635485897_560ba62763_b.jpg

40505964031_206d355c84_b.jpg

26635158018_728e3d9e27_b.jpg

26635161678_24f861cde6_b.jpg

38695862540_bb6cf1ed13_b.jpg

38696102270_52917894a3_b.jpg

More later folks when the lighting is better.  

Dan 

• Like 9

Looking at this even closer on my computer, not the tablet I would agree with rounding off the corners of the CARD

If you use a tiny brush to add little dots of the red you won't even need to mask off to do it, simply 'pointillist' style reshaping

There wouldn't be any blobby paint to show up, ask Ced, this technique can be very subtle if you use very tiny dabs of colour

But even without, the Sea King does look the business

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mike said:

Having the mans inside has really put a bit of scale to it :)

They were not small Mike, quite a big egg beater ;)

So one thing that also bugged me was the tail light, they didn't provide a clear part for this but they did for the light under the nose? very strange so I made my own 

out of some clear sprue, shaped up and polished,  the red light was added by drilling into it and adding some clear red paint.  Better than the kit part I think.

Some bits of swarf still on the tail area though which I'll remove once the glue has dried.

39643955965_a8da817661_b.jpg

39828549634_588454020d_b.jpg

40496646282_49d679bc5e_b.jpg

• Like 7

Looking most excellent.  Minor comment; the SACRU control line rubbing strip (just behind the port sponson) looks a) VERY orange (a trace of brown to tone it down, perhaps?) & b ) rather wide.  

But mostly she looks wonderful.  [Not as wonderful as an 819 / Gannet SAR cab, but I might be a tad biased about that...]

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1