Airfix Westland Sea King HU5

Its been a while since I posted anything on BM, life has really not been too kind lately,

I had heart surgery last year and just as I was getting better I fell and broke my left arm.

Since then I have moved house so posting anything has been a challenge.

Now a kind member gave me some bits n bobs last year to help me make 

a Sea King from 771 Squadron based in my home county of Cornwall. 

I cannot thank that person enough but I've lost the PM's somewhere so, you know who you are 

and hopefully you'll be happy to see them being put to use.  I have the Altmark decals 

and a Revell radome for a Navy Sea king. 

Just as another thing, I used to see these grey and red cabs all the time as a kid and my brother 

went on to serve with 771 Sqn as a diver for a number of years. 

I'm using the new tool Airfix kit of the RAF HAR3 as the base kit along with the Eduard PE set designed for the HC4 

kit. As usual anything that is not right will be put right to make a decent Navy cab. This one will go on a small dio 

and will be displayed in flight, hence the altered rear wheel and the blades being cut off from the hub.

A very long way to go yet, loads of scratch building and refining to do. 

So this is how far I have pushed the build.

P1040662_zpszutprnvf.jpg

P1040660_zpszbcsd0n4.jpg

P1040663_zpspicldqm0.jpg

P1040664_zps38qneoq9.jpg

P1040665_zpsyqazr2ae.jpg

P1040667_zps3h9i2ict.jpg

P1040659_zps68ugjndh.jpg

P1040658_zpsbkagzhjf.jpg

P1040657_zpskicnrduy.jpg

More photos later, but it looks like I need to find another photo host as PB is asking for a wad of green stuff 

from me to continue using them :( 

Regards

Dan 

• Like 17

Nice start, Dan.  

Plenty of reference stuff on my 1/48 HAS5 build (though you have to wade through a lot of pages) - but if there is anything you lack by way of info, just shout; I used to fly them (819, not 771, but still SAR aircraft), and @MarkdipXV711 ws a Crewman (poor sod had to fly with me).  We also have at least one ex-Sea King maintainer on here, so between us we should be able to help.

• Like 4

Cheers Fella,

I've been scratching around looking for good pictures of the area just inside the forward crew door and the smoke float 

storage rack, so if any of you have a nice pic and your not limited by a certain photo hosting highway man then please throw it up.

I'm not much of an aircraft modeller let alone building in 72nd scale so If I'm not getting something right then please let me know :) 

The last 72nd scale aircraft I built was probably 35 years ago ! 

So I'm going to add the PE steps to the door inside, I know the door will be closed but I think you'll see it through the canopy.

P1040672_zpsbqrfvlii.jpg

P1040671_zpsgat7910m.jpg

Some work on the tail end of things, I think Eduard missed a grill on the top though ?

P1040669_zpstr0joa4r.jpg

P1040668_zpsi0zijoit.jpg

I've also added the cloth covers to the aircrew visors, more detail will get added to these two chaps.

P1040661_zpscdxavjtm.jpg

This is the base that I'll use for this build.

P1040673_zpsrmqqed0p.jpg

P1040674_zpsi51vq6sk.jpg

Cheers for looking 

Dan 

• Like 16

Hi Dan, lookin' good. I like the work you have done already and being an ex grubber from Culdrose I can appreciate you wanting to build a CU cab. The new Airfix kit looks good, I have two Commando kits to get to some time inthe future... I'm still buried in Wessex!

The PE parts look very god, loks like I'm going to have to visit the H storemon line...

The dio base looks very good and haven't seen those before, I may have to visit their site too.

Colin

• Like 1

Looking good Dan.  Good to see you back. I remembered your avatar ,makes me smile !

• Like 1

Thanks guys,

Just added the missing fuel point as AndyF117 recommendations, magicsculpt and plastic card used.

P1040684_zpsbgq23u3b.jpg

P1040685_zpscisvhu7l.jpg

The inside will get tidied up once cured.  Checked the radome on the spine and it looks okay on the Airfix kit.

Dan 

• Like 6

Made a start on the sea tray in the main cabin using my favourite 

epoxy putty Green Stuff, doing my best to replicate the folds and creases 

that can be seen on the real thing. Will do the floor last thing along with the dam 

mid cabin.

P1040686_zpszqft5lg2.jpg

P1040688_zpsnryqifpp.jpg

P1040687_zpsgoacckcm.jpg

P1040689_zpsptgfhtzs.jpg

Enjoy folks 

Dan 

• Like 11

Nice detail Dan - isn't it quilted in the Sea King then?  I remember doing similar stuff in a Wessex once with quilting :wacko:

• Like 1

On 04/07/2017 at 13:25, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Nice start, Dan.  

Plenty of reference stuff on my 1/48 HAS5 build (though you have to wade through a lot of pages) - but if there is anything you lack by way of info, just shout; I used to fly them (819, not 771, but still SAR aircraft), and @MarkdipXV711 ws a Crewman (poor sod had to fly with me).  We also have at least one ex-Sea King maintainer on here, so between us we should be able to help.

I used to live in Mauchline so can pretty much guarantee you'll have flown over me umpteen times. Small world

Really nice detail additions on this build - I've something similar part done which I must get back to soonish

Edited by LostCosmonauts
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Mike said:

Nice detail Dan - isn't it quilted in the Sea King then?  I remember doing similar stuff in a Wessex once with quilting :wacko:

The sea tray in SAR Wessexes is heavy duty waterproof like this Mike, the ordinary sound proofing in the Wessie was quilted as you say.

(Guess who is noting the work in this for his HC4 model?)

Edited by perdu
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Afternoon all,

Anyone out in BM land has any decent photo's of the rear cabin for a RN SAR cab, I'm really struggling 

to find any of the seating layout and other details that furnish the rear, please post them up, I'd be really grateful :wink:

Dan 

A great start on what looks to be a most interesting project. Will the build be getting crispinated?

Martian

Cheers Martian,

Just a little bit, but being 72nd scale I might be a bit out of my depth :huh:

Today I've worked on the main rotor hub, cutting and brass pinning the blades so I can show them under load, my Perspex rod turned up 

yesterday for the base so things are coming along slowly.

Hot a bit of a blocker with ref material though, I cannot find any clear pictures of the cabin which shows the detail that I need to scratch 

build, its the area opposite the main door. some photo's I've seen show a car boot type tidy thingy with pockets on which I think 

holds the winch strops and other harness type accessories. I'd like a clear picture of that and its exact location. typically the rare 

photo's that I saw a while ago I cannot find at all now :( 

Regards

Dan 

Nice to see you back Dan, sorry to hear of your problems hopefully now all in the past!

I'll follow along to if you don't mind?

Roger

• Like 1

1 hour ago, andyf117 said:

Thanks Andy, I've seen those pictures but they don't really show the area that I'm after fella, I'm looking for the the rear bulk head and the seats opposite the door. 

Dan