Airfix Westland Sea King HU5

Awesome, don't know how you've got the patience Mate. Some would suggest you're not going to have much room left for rivets after you've finished adding grills etc etc.etc.etc.

Hope you are going to a parts count at the end

Keep it up

Kev

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, andyf117 said:

Sometimes I struggle to see things - but I can certainly see the double row on the left, and if I'm not mistaken, there are actually two single rows to the right? They show up better on the grey in the first pic, and better on the red in the second.....

I know Andy , on the grey side the rivets haven’t been painted over, I was testing to see if the masking tape would pull them off, which it didn’t to be fair. For me there is not enough definition to make it worth the hassle in spending hours and hours applying them.

They are also really difficult to photograph well so it’s a problem to show you all what the final cut would look like or not in this case. Glad I tested it first as I would be gutted during the final stages of the build.

Dan 

• Like 1

Wow..... I just have to say it    " I love Mr Paint"  I was told that they spray amazingly well and I've just tried them for the red.

Much better than anything else I have tried :analintruder:

Much like Alclad, every scratch or flaw is shown so you need to be putting in a lot of prep time but they are amazing.

40170890381_8f2c42f32e_b.jpg

40138074622_0271057335_b.jpg

40138076762_dc3607ed70_b.jpg

As I thought the rivets around the cockpit are not visible at all.... Sorry Kirk :shrug:

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

Masking up the red areas, Tamiya normal tape and the 2mm Tamiya making tape for curves, brilliant stuff indeed.

Just doing each area at a time, the static wicks have has some white glue added to the tips, they are made from tooth brush bristles :analintruder:

28395377359_afe91c0c99_b.jpg

28395381249_8e418d56f6_b.jpg

25304118587_c1fd8d9cfc_b.jpg

More later 

Dan 

• Like 11

Fantastic build; thanks for sharing. I'd like to build a Sea King in similar colors, but would need to use Tamiya acrylics. Do you happen to know if any of their grays or reds are a good match? Thanks! 

• Thanks 1

A bit more progress today, started on the tail wheel for some reason . But I've been touching up the red areas on the fuselage, got to mask up the nose section yet 

and get the grey down.

25370269377_a2a69ccc01_b.jpg

So another attempt at the HGW rivets, I really don't like to be beaten down by something so I thought the winch housing, it has two lines of rivets 

and with the HGW rivets being silver I could actually seen them. Apply over Mr Paint black, waited until dry and tried to remove the carrier film ..... Oh dear 

25370268227_183fd67016_b.jpg

I got a bit more than clearly defined rivets ...

25370267277_1963e62a1c_b.jpg

Cheers 

Dan 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Front end masked up and sprayed grey, I also removed the masking on the spotlights just to see how they turned out, should give

me an indication on the cockpit glazing :o I'll remask them up later.

40245399081_364642cc1f_b.jpg

40245397071_78e6b29c23_b.jpg

Area around the cabin door will get masked up again and around the sea tray on the side of the fuselage, I've got a few bits of over spray that will need fixing on the second paint fix.

39347615295_fdcaee8e7e_b.jpg

Cheers

Dan 

• Like 3