1:72 Grumman/General Dynamics F-111B "Beta Tomcat" Part 2

10 hours ago, Procopius said:

Wow, Bill, you look great! I hardly recognized you...uh, not that you didn't look great when we met up!

Thanks, mate. When did we kill that bottle of single malt in Chicago? 2014? I've been through a bit since then...including shedding 40 pounds or so (70 pounds since 1-1-2013 if you're counting). Anyway, I had a similar comment from a nurse who was reviewing my medical history when I was in the hospital back in June. She said "you look great for someone who's in the condition you're in." I think that was a compliment, but I'm not sure!    :)  :)  :) 

Gathering up stuff for the wedding this afternoon - it's being held in a chapel that is part of the Colgate Rochester Divinity School. It's very medieval looking, and has a huge pipe organ. The bell tower for the main church even has gargoyles. My lovely daughter, gotta love her, has chosen Bach's Toccata and Fugue in D minor as her processional music. Plus, I look like 007 in my tuxedo. Going to be fun!

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Hi mates,

Some progress has been made on 972 - the stickers were added to the wings and tailplanes, and the slats and flaps were detailed before adding to the wings. I painted the gear doors, added a few stickers to them, and also painted the odd pattern inside the air brake. For those unfamiliar with this pattern, this is about the best photo I've seen:

Inside of speed brake 2

This isn't from an F-111B, but I have it on good authority that it's a reasonable representation. I have no idea why the black squares were painted in such a way - the only thing I could imagine is that they are anti-skid areas for maintenance folk. But that's pure speculation...are you allowed to stand (or kneel) on a air brake?

So all of this has left me with a pile of parts.

IMG_1393

I'll try to get these added to the model today, in-between my Sunday chores and making some ragù alla bolognese.  :)

Cheers,

Bill

PS. There's something about the LGG and White USN scheme when it's all fresh and new - I almost don't want to weather this model at all.

• Like 15

55 minutes ago, Navy Bird said:

I almost don't want to weather this model at all

Well don't then Bill, it's your model to do with as you will - and the real thing would have been unweathered for a few minutes at least...!! :D

Keith

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Navy Bird said:

PS. There's something about the LGG and White USN scheme when it's all fresh and new - I almost don't want to weather this model at all.

Look at the photos you've posted the only area that appears remotely grubby is the fuselage side between the translating intake cowl and the engine access door or, as Keith pointed out, the jet would have been spotless for a short while anyway.

• Like 1

If you like your model clean then leave it that way, after all, it is you who have to look at the model in the long term. Strike a blow for those of us who like our models clean! :D

Martian

• Like 3

Hey mates, it's starting to look like an aeroplane!    :) 

IMG_1394

IMG_1395

I need to add the arresting hook, pylons with Phoenix missiles, and some extra antennae that were added by Hughes for telemetry during missile testing, and I think she'll be done. Hard to tell in the photos, but I added some light weathering. That will be more obvious later when I take some close-ups.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 24

I love to see planes with control surfaces animated, you know - illustrating what they do, and she absolutely Tops the Bill!!

Imagine, being on the flight deck as that beauty fires up to the max and gets catapulted off....!

Holy smoke. I know these deck-guys wore gum-shields to stop their teeth rattling , but THAT would test your mettle for sure.

And then she's gotta get back on!

• Like 2

Looking fabulous Bill, both you & the plane seeing as I hadn't seen the Texas raceway shot before. Hope you guys managed a shout out for the young Kiwi, Brendon Hartley, who came in at 13 in his 1st F1 race. Pity he was sidelined with a self igniting Renault motor in Mexico, as were several others, & McLaren are going with them next year???

Back to the plane now, that looks just right to my eye, I'm a great fan of the less is more school of weathering & I reckon you've nailed it with that finish. Blooming perfeck. :)

Steve.

• Like 1

On 11/6/2017 at 18:33, rob Lyttle said:

I love to see planes with control surfaces animated, you know - illustrating what they do, and she absolutely Tops the Bill!!

Imagine, being on the flight deck as that beauty fires up to the max and gets catapulted off....!

Holy smoke. I know these deck-guys wore gum-shields to stop their teeth rattling , but THAT would test your mettle for sure.

And then she's gotta get back on!

Carrier trials with the F-111B were held on board the USS Coral Sea. She wasn't the biggest or heaviest aircraft on a USN carrier, but you are right that she must have been very impressive. If I recall, most of the deficiencies that came out of the carrier trials were for issues where improvements were already being incorporated for the production aircraft. @Tailspin Turtle knows the story much better than I.

On 11/6/2017 at 20:15, stevehnz said:

Looking fabulous Bill, both you & the plane seeing as I hadn't seen the Texas raceway shot before. Hope you guys managed a shout out for the young Kiwi, Brendon Hartley, who came in at 13 in his 1st F1 race. Pity he was sidelined with a self igniting Renault motor in Mexico, as were several others, & McLaren are going with them next year???

Back to the plane now, that looks just right to my eye, I'm a great fan of the less is more school of weathering & I reckon you've nailed it with that finish. Blooming perfeck. :)

Steve.

Actually, I was looking forward to Hartley being Scott Dixon's teammate in IndyCar next year (a deal was supposedly already done) but when you get a call for F1 you gotta take it! Good for him, I hope he does well. As far as McLaren go, I really hope they haven't made the wrong decision. Fernando needs an engine, excuse me, power unit, that isn't 35 kph slower down the straights. 

On 11/7/2017 at 03:20, Fritag said:

Stunning Bill.  All of those beautiful and superbly executed red areas makes it so visually arresting.

They really do, don't they? Maybe that's why I like the old USN schemes. I just can't warm up at all to these low-vis grey-on-grey-on-grey paint jobs. Ugh.

On 11/7/2017 at 05:32, Hamden said:

What else is there to add to what already been said!

Stunning result as always with your builds - someone has to say it Whats next?

Hmm...what's next? I think I'm going to give my workbench a thorough cleaning. It needs it! 

So, another one of those eerie moments has arrived - I can't find any more parts for the model. I reckon that means she must be done, and I'd take a few proper photos of her if the camera battery hadn't depleted itself right when I set the tripod up. I'll let it charge overnight and hopefully take some photos tomorrow.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 6

13 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

Maybe that's why I like the old USN schemes. I just can't warm up at all to these low-vis grey-on-grey-on-grey paint jobs. Ugh.

Dull as dishwasher, aren't they?

Give me big, bold and bright any day.

(But then, I'm not being shot at!)

• Like 1

First, I wanted to show a simple modification that needed to be made to the Phoenix missile - the prototypes that were tested on 151972 had a rounded nose, instead of the sharp point that was seen on production missiles. I used parts from the Hasegawa 1:72 weapons set which of course represent the production versions. A little sandpaper and Bob's your uncle (modified missile on the bottom).

IMG_1398

Next, the prototype missiles had some unique markings including stripes and specially painted fins. One fin was red, whilst the fin 180 degrees opposite was black. I've been informed that this was done to evaluate the missile's roll characteristics in flight. Here is a close-up of the markings:

XAIM-54 Phoenix

And a colour shot in flight - I'm told that only one missile was carried if it was going to be fired, so that's the way I've modelled her.

XAIM-54 Phoenix Testing

After finishing the missile, I added some pitot tubes and extra antennae that Hughes used for telemetry during testing, and that was about it. Here is a quick shot of the finished model. I'll get an RFI post up shortly.

IMG_1400

Thanks for tagging along!

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 13