1/48 Airfix Buccaneer

Do they all fit like this? Or do I have a particularly bad one here?

Its actually worse than I can manage to capture in the photos.

35314942330_1a76abf9f4_c.jpg

35571374991_bd20e3314f_c.jpg

35314940510_3865a293d7_c.jpg

35571372121_7240d0e0d1_c.jpg

35571369771_c041229e1c_c.jpg

35533302212_ff345c825c_c.jpg

Edited by RMP2
  • Like 1

A little persuasion you say? Hmm.
Im really not sure if I should take the challenge or pass it (via ebay) to a more deserving soul and put the cash aside for a new release. I mean.... Im perfectly up for the challenge, Im just wondering if this is really worth the effort, it looks too far gone to avoid some rather unpleasant concave joins and whatnot.

Yes, think there all like that, but certainly can be persuaded to join together, the plastics quite soft and malleable which is probably the problem in the first place. I used CA to join mine, doing a bit at a time.

Muzz

• Like 1

Im getting the same thoughts on Facebook. Im a little shocked having not seen photos of the issues before.
Will give it some thought (and pegs & laggy bands) and see how it looks.

Cheers guys, seems this one deserves its bad rep!

Welcome to my world!

Same issues with my fuselage. Just wait until you get to the wings...

I've added the pavla cockpit and now joined up the fuselage. So long as you take your time and only glue up a small section at a time, working your way around, it is achievable.

It has killed my mojo so now been relegated to the SOD. I will finish it though. The Tanmodel kit looks bloody good so far!

• Like 1

For the fuselage you treat it like a vacform kit.

Glue tabs along the top (or bottom) half to

help to align the other half. Make sure you roughen

the plastic where you stick the tabs as they may

just ping off with the strain.

The intakes and tanks are a bit of a challenge too.

But, as you saw above, it can be made into a very

nice finished article. Just buy a bucket of filler first.

Good luck.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

For the fuselage you treat it like a vacform kit.

Glue tabs along the top (or bottom) half to

help to align the other half. Make sure you roughen

the plastic where you stick the tabs as they may

just ping off with the strain.

The intakes and tanks are a bit of a challenge too.

But, as you saw above, it can be made into a very

nice finished article. Just buy a bucket of filler first.

Good luck.

Thanks, Pete.

Think I've some filler left over from the Jag so should be ok. ;)

• Like 1

I believe Airfix announced a couple of years ago via the "Kitstarter" forum on their website that the 1/48 Buccaneer mould had been "retired". It was one of the most requested kits on Kitstarter and they had to give an explanation

of why it wasn't going to happen. The words they used went something like "due to insurmountable quality problems with the fuselage " the mould had been scrapped.

Perhaps there'll be a new tooling eventually . . .

• Like 2

That is poor fit, even by this kit's low standards.  One thing you should give serious thought to is cutting off the lower half of the forward fuselage (just aft of the nosegear bay) and moving it up so the two halves of the radome meet.  You then fill in behind it with a shim of card.  That will make the panel lines align nicely.  I found this to be the only way to make the front end right - you simply can't force the edges to meet and align without silly stresses in the plastic.  It also allows you to fit a brace within the fuselage, much more easily than estimating its length before you close it up, or trying to get one in through the intakes.  A brace is a handy way of taking out a lot of the slop caused by those thin, floppy fuselage halves.  When mine's finished, which shouldn't be too long now, I'll include a couple of pictures to illustrate.

Another hidden gem is the panel on the underside of the intake that carries the NACA inlets.  Many people recommend cutting it off the lower fuselage and attaching it to the intake section.  This works, but it's a loose fit, and you have to take a lot of care over it.

Also, the pen-nibs aft of the exhausts are best dealt with by simply plating them over with thin card.  The joint there is beyond help.

• Like 2

I knew it was bad, but I didn't know it was that bad. I've heard that the new Tanmodel (when I finally arrives) is likely to be in the £70 price band – which is well beyond my budget. So I was going to wait for the Airfix Buc to come down to a reasonable price. But now I'm wondering if I want one at all.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, pigsty said:

... you simply can't force the edges to meet and align without silly stresses in the plastic.

You can get the fuselage halves together, it just takes a bit of time.

21 hours ago, pigsty said:

Also, the pen-nibs aft of the exhausts are best dealt with by simply plating them over with thin card.  The joint there is beyond help.

Yes, it's pretty bad.

I have left out the rear jet-pipes and just filled/sanded until decent. The use of styrene filler has helped add a bit of strength. I have yet to fit the intakes, so will be fitting the exhausts by feeding them in from the front with a long stick! (That's the plan. airfix may have prevented this with some other diabolical abberation though!).

This kit must have been engineered by someone who worked for the British automobile industry in the 1950's...

• Like 2

Thanks for the tips guys. I'm sure I've seen a how-to guide on here in the past but it seems to have disappeared. Guess a new one is in order.

@Gorby

We are on a similar page re the Tanmodel Bucc I think. Yes it will be lovely but for me I would be happy with a more simple and cheaper kit. No worries though, I got this creation for a half sensible sum and hard work never killed anyone...  or did it? :)

• Like 2

The build will be a little way off yet, miles off in fact if I get sent to Belfast for work. However, the research and thinking hasnt gone away just yet.

I think Ive found the build guide re the fuselage join stuff on the Airfix forum - http://airfixtributeforum.myfastforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=78&t=44430

And I think Im going for one of the two Belize buzzing aircraft from 1972. That means a full EDSG paint job which is a bit boring, but nice n easy which could be a blessing by the time I (hopefully) get to that point.
XN977 was one of the pair that did the long trip down I believe, anyone able to confirm and any idea of the serial of the other one?

Actually, just knowing which ones they were for sure would be nice, they dont have to be in the 72 colours, I just like to build aircraft that are in some way relevant to something, be it in their future or their past. If and when I get to painting, I can ummm and aaahh about the scheme then.

Or just do camo and LAG as every aircraft should be painted.... ;)

So thats all set in stone then eh?

15 minutes ago, RMP2 said:

I think Ive found the build guide re the fuselage join stuff on the Airfix forum

Thanks for posting the link - it makes it sound do'able, so maybe it's still a possibility. 

• Like 1

Just now, Gorby said:

Thanks for posting the link - it makes it sound do'able, so maybe it's still a possibility. 

Im assuming thats the one people have mentioned. I was originally pointed to this forum for the guide, but that was either incorrect or it was also suggested that the member who posted it has since been banned and its lost from here. Whatever - its something to go by I guess.

• Like 1