Brief guide to using Flickr

Roy vd M.

Annoyingly flickr are going to require you to pay if you want to upload more than 1000 photos. This is significantly different to their original 1tb storage for free. I've just now passed the 1000 limit and to give you an idea how different it is... I've only used 0.3% of my 1tb allocation.

• 2 weeks later...

I like the change. 1TB for free😂, that’s like 1k photos per day for 1 year. According to a German news article, there were only 5 people who ever needed more than 1TB, 96.2% of „free account“ subscribers are below 1000 photos.

Free things in that size of ex Flickr/yahoo are paid for by adds and sale of personal data... I rather pay 50 to have my staff safe and sound without adds n stuff. The price is extremely cheap and fair imho.

You can also always join accounts as a group reducing the costs 😉. I‘d eben offer mine if anyone needs a bit of storage, as I’d never need 1TB ever and im patins anyway🍻 and I will keep mine a paid account tell I am bankrupt or dead, nothing of which is expected to happen in the next decades.

On your pc under account settings you should be able to find your data usage statistics.

The amount of data should not be of concern for all users but the 5 crazy ones, however^^. With 850 pics, you can probably average them at 3mb/photo, you will be below 2.7GB unless you are using a high end Canon or similar camera with 35mb/photo RAW files.

/Stefan 

• 3 weeks later...

I have a bit above 4000 photos on Flickr, but they all are about 0.3 MB each . Still it is 1.2 GB. Is there limit for number of photos or also for the amount of memory?

This is anoying, that I will have to spent another two months to reconstruct my threads, as I did a year ago whet Photobucket crisis happend.... It would be good to swich to something else already. Any suggestions? Which is still for free?

Regards

J-W 

2 hours ago, JWM said:

I have a bit above 4000 photos on Flickr, but they all are about 0.3 MB each . Still it is 1.2 GB. Is there limit for number of photos or also for the amount of memory?

This is anoying, that I will have to spent another two months to reconstruct my threads, as I did a year ago whet Photobucket crisis happend.... It would be good to swich to something else already. Any suggestions? Which is still for free?

Regards

J-W 

They say it is a max of 1000 photos. No mention of GB. I have paid up to give me time to ponder. Compared to PB it's cheap. I think the days of free hosting are over.

I also use Flickr to store all of my photos, holidays etc. I'm up to 8000 so it will be a massive task to relocate them.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

Compared to PB it's cheap. I think the days of free hosting are over.

I do not know how much I will have to pay. Maybe it will be acceptable. I do not know. Have you got an e-mail about the offer?

Regards

J-W

9 hours ago, JWM said:

I do not know how much I will have to pay. Maybe it will be acceptable. I do not know. Have you got an e-mail about the offer?

Regards

J-W

I can't find the email at the moment, but the annual charge with the first year discount was about 27 GBP.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

I suggest everyone reading this comment to find a new photo hosting site, because Flickr will be locking the uploads of the free members that have 1000 photos or more starting January 8th. You will then have to buy a pro subscription to get unlimited space. @Mike you should put this in the Announcement category.46473685921_c453bafd34_c.jpg

Sorry to read this. Perhaps the days of free image hosting are over... big chance the next hosting site will stop their free service soon too.

I’ll stay with Flickr as I have for 8 years now. Premium membership is still reasonably priced.

I just upgraded to pro also. TBH messing around looking for a free service is I think an ever decreasing circle..  as folk jump off Flickr now for another free service ( as I and many other did to PB after the debacle there and headed to Flickr) then that free service sees an increase in users which ultimately compromise its ability to offer a free platform as the data and hosting costs rise. 

Part of of what I do in my hobby is interact with forums.. so if I want to use images then it’s a cost like paint or glue. What it means is I’ll probably start to make all my images private. Which will stop folk ‘pirating’ my images to illustrate their posts... sad but economic fact...

Cheers

Plasto..

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with @Plasto after the Photo bucket nightmare I spent an age re pathing my pictures to all my threads. ( I wouldn’t want to do that again 😫 ) Flickr has been really reliable and simple to use and thus far been free. It’s right that one of the most enjoyable parts of this hobby are it’s forums. I’m all about the pictures so I guess paying for it is the same as paying for glue or paint. I took advantage of the 15% off for the first year.  It runs out on the 8th of Jan so be quick.

(To be fair I only just noticed they were limiting the free account about an hour ago) 

Johnny

I kicked in the money to Flickr a while back. I did the same as Spadgent when PB went rectal and I don't want to spend that much time re-hosting pictures again. For the basic Flickr, it costs about as much as buying one coffee per week at some coffee specializing outlet for a year, so not really that much. Not near what PB tried to pull off.

Chris

Been going through my flikr downloading all the albums and purging pre2018 pics which has probably wrecked all my 2017 group build threads, still well north of the 1000 photos....£5.99 per month is not small fry for me, nor is wacking the £40 quid annual fee down....have to choose what means more to me, participating in group builds or one less kit/2 pints a month, or spending £40 quid of my Christmas money on something intangible.........

edit a second purge of duplicate pics has got that down to 960 odd.....least I can finish current GB's whatever my decision 

Edited by PhantomBigStu

I agree it’s not ideal..

I had a heap of images on PB that are now effectively lost for ever.. Hence the move to Flickr and some to village photos.

But if you up sticks to another hosting service how long before that one decides to charge as it’s inundated with picture hosting refugees from Flickr or PB or Village photos et al. To be fair to Flickr 1000 images is a reasonable free allocation just not if you participate in forums.

If the online photo hosting service is fundamentally changing to a paid model. Then what does that mean for forums in the short to mid term where they have a symbiotic relationship with the photo hosting services?? 

• 1 month later...

Well, the photo worked (see post above), but the size didn't! Click on the link above and try downloading it, and you'll see it's 640x480 pixels. The  original Flickr photo is 3748x2736 pixels. How do I make this larger so people can see all my mistakes ...... err, I mean, see the detail in the photo?

If it helps I used the following steps:

1. In Flickr, I clicked on "share"
  2. I navigated to "embed" and chose 1600x1200
  3. I copied the link ("https://......jpg")
  4. In my Britmodeller post, I clicked "insert other media" then "insert image from URL"
  5. Finally, I pasted the image address from step 3.

Any advice appreciated!

Thanks,

Matt

• 2 weeks later...

I just went to Flickr and tried to copy a picture for posting, but I can't. I can see all my pictures and I can add new pictures, but I can't open any of them up for posting. Nothing works!  I paid the fee so I could have over 1000 images and I just went over that the other day. What new crap is this now?

Chris