Lotus/Caterham Super 7

100SQN

Hi,

I'm considering buying the Tamiya Lotus Super 7 in 1/24 scale but I would like to convert it to more of a racing version.

Is there any after market conversion sets available ?

Also are there any other models similar to this car available ? Such as the Ariel Atom, Nomad or BAC Mono

Thanks,

Simon

The Tamiya 1/24 Seven is a Series 2 from the early sixties.  To make the period racing version you (might) take off the hub-caps and add number discs!

If you want to make one of the more modern racers, these are generally Caterhams, which bodywise are "based" on the Series 3.  But Caterham have been developing the car for over 40 years now so probably all that's left of the original is the nosecone!  Different wheels, axles, engines, seats, screens and so on, also you could pick and choose combinations to an extent.  Then there's the mods for racing.  So any bits from almost any other kit that fits the 1/24 Seven would be fine.

There was a lovely Tamiya 1/12 kit of the then current Caterham in the late 80's /  90s, if you can find or afford one...

The 40years of development have obviously made the Caterham a faster car, but whether it is a "better" car than an original Series 2 is a serious philosophical matter.  I found driving a Caterham racer was cramped, uncomfortable and unsubtle handling, but then I was comparing it to driving Formula Ford's and Formula 2000 on the same day (the single seaters were more comfy too!!).

Cheers

Will

Edited by malpaso
Spellchecker

I forgot to mention most of the racers go for the cycle wings, which do nothing for the look of the car; from what I remember of the small Tamiya cutting the lovely flowing wings off would remove a large part of the body strength?

The flared wing on a Caterham/Lotus 7 do nothing as regards strength as their bolted to the side skins not the chassis .

As regards originality my series three chassis was made at Arch motor the same place the Lotus 7's had there chassis from the same jigs.

As to your original question "tatty ton" the kit come with options for road or race

• 4 weeks later...

There's a BAC Mono die cast from Auto Art. Not a kit, and quite expensive.

When I have lots of time (and increase in talent) I would love to scratch build a 1/24 or 1/12 BAC Mono. Fabulous cars.

As for the Caterham/Lotus 7 - Tamiya made a 1/12 kit in various versions including cycle wings, long wings and a JPE version. @roymattblack built one a couple of years ago. I have one almost finished. It has been almost finished for well over 10 years, and I even managed to build a 1:1 Westfield since starting the Caterham!

I think someone on here also converted the 1/24 Tamiya kit into a Westfield...

Here it is: 

Edited by injidup

I still own a full size 1996 Caterham 7 Classic SE. The Classic series of that period were still very much the Lotus 7 Series III. They still had a solid rear axle and most still had the flared wings, for example. As as has been said, the chassis was still made by Arch Motors - just like the Lotus 7 Series III.

Since the mid 1990s the option of flared front mudguards has gradually faded out and I don't think that it is even offered as an option now.

The Series II Lotus 7 as depicted in the Tamiya kit had some substantial differences to the later Series III. The Series II was discontinued around 1968 so the Tamiya kit cannot really depict any later versions with accuracy.