Micro-Mir MD-11

Has anyone here built the Micro-Mir/Eastern Express/TwoSix MD-11 and, if so, is it possible to fit the nosewheel leg at the normal stage, i.e. after painting?

If you install it per the instructions it will be very vulnerable to damage but on the other hand it's a pretty complex assembly and trying to get it all together at a later stage doesn't look easy.

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

Dave G

Hi Dave

I haven't started my build yet, but having looked at the nose gear bay parts I don't think there is any alternative but to install it as per the kit instructions. 

In these situations where the nose gear has to be fitted before painting, I've made a protector piece from a small bit of hollowed out polystyrene block which I tape firmly over the nose gear until assembly and any sanding / filling is largely done. It certainly draws your attention to being careful around the aircraft nose and seems to work as I've not busted any nose legs recently (on Revell E190 & E195 which have the same issue).

Best of luck

Tim

• Like 2

I remember using the top of a 'Tic tac' container, with the opening flap removed, taped onto my Revell 767 to protect the nosewheel leg a few years ago.

Dave

• Like 2

I managed to devise a method of fitting the Revell 767 nose wheel leg after painting and initially I wondered about something similar for the MD-11. Having now built the MD-11 assembly it's clear that the only way to do it is to follow the instructions. Fitting after painting is impossible.  Thanks for another helpful protection suggestion.

• Like 1

It can be done.:)

Fix parts 43 and 45 to part 77.  Remove the locating peg off one side of part 68 and glue a small supporting piece to the upper side of the locating hole on either part 82 or 83, depending one which side you removed the locating peg on part 68.  Assemble the wheel bay.  When the painting is done, attach parts 68, 40 and 41.  I'd leave parts 47 and 55 until last in case they break off when manouvering the other parts into place.  Yes, it's a bit fiddly!

• Like 2

Thanks Buzz, I'll note that for future models.  For present purposes I've put the thing together per instructions and I'll need to rely on protective measures, so to speak!

I am almost done with my first MD-11.

Its not an easy build at any stage.:confused:  To be honest,I am slightly disappointed with the fitting given the fact that its such a new kit that was planned using CAD.

For the next MD-11 builds (still 2 to go) I need a different approach on them,having learned from the mistakes I did.

I built in the gear as per the instructions but then I cut off the lower part of the leg,where its steering device is,and drilled a small hole into both parts.

After all painting and main assembly is done,I will put the lower part back on by using a thin wire that will be glued in the hole in the upper part of the gear.

• Like 1

Thanks Alex.  I only saw your reply after I posted on your WIP thread.

So far I have got the fuselage together and I'm very unimpressed by the kit, particularly given its price.  I dare say I'll get it done eventually and if I manage to finish it in time for the Scottish National Model Show next April I'll be happy.  I certainly won't be rushing out to buy another one.  If I want a second MD-11 I'll think seriously about Authentic Airliners.

• Like 1

On 11.7.2017 at 12:01, Skodadriver said:

Thanks Alex.  I only saw your reply after I posted on your WIP thread.

So far I have got the fuselage together and I'm very unimpressed by the kit, particularly given its price.  I dare say I'll get it done eventually and if I manage to finish it in time for the Scottish National Model Show next April I'll be happy.  I certainly won't be rushing out to buy another one.  If I want a second MD-11 I'll think seriously about Authentic Airliners.

Hi Dave,

I am done with my first MD-11.You find it in the RFI.

Its a very troublesome build and,as I said earlier ,I  am slightly disappointed by the kit.

It can be build but the quality is just average and I expected more.It looks good when finished but they surely missed a chance here

• Like 1