French aviation at Madagascar - set of photos

JWM

Hi,

I just started doing some Potez XXV family. Digging in net for some photos I have found very nice quality set of photot of mainly French colonial avaiation in thirthies of xx C. taken at Madagascar: 

https://www.bibert.fr/Joseph_Bibert_fichiers/Jean ASSOLLANT_fichiers/Madagasacar.htm

Besides very sharp and nice shots on Potez XXV, 29,  33 as well as some Caudrons there are few nice shots of Caproni 111 and DH Leopard Moth. 

Cheers

J-W.

• Like 13

Beautiful photographs J-W.

Thank you for sharing this resource, just wonderful :thumbsup: .

There's an aircraft there that I'm interested in, but it isn't mentioned in the text.

1st of February 1936. Ivato airfield. Arrival of Caudron Aiglon 'Maurice Finat'.

Behind the Caudron Aiglon, in two photographs, there is a metal trimotor. It is reminiscent of the Fokker FVII/3M and the Ford Trimotor; but it's neither.

Does anyone know what it is?

Thanks again J-W

Best regards

TonyT

• Like 1

Another great resource J-W, thank you for sharing this.

Thanks also for the information identifying the Bloch 120. I like it. Now to see if there is a kit :hmmm: 

Best regards

TonyT

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/07/2017 at 7:34 AM, TonyTiger66 said:

Another great resource J-W, thank you for sharing this.

Thanks also for the information identifying the Bloch 120. I like it. Now to see if there is a kit :hmmm: 

Best regards

TonyT

Hi Tony

Only one I could find is this, and the kit maker is a new one on me !

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/267709-fsc-dujin-fscm-001-bloch-mb-120

Great thread Jerzy

cheers Pat

• 8 months later...

Lovely images. Thank you for sharing. The Potez 29 with the red crosses looks interesting. Now all I need to do is find someone who does a 1/72 scale kit.

Would the colours be green and silver for the fuselage and national colours on the tail fin with white stripes on the top of the wings?

Regards

MM

• Like 1

20 hours ago, missile-monkey said:

Lovely images. Thank you for sharing. The Potez 29 with the red crosses looks interesting. Now all I need to do is find someone who does a 1/72 scale kit.

Would the colours be green and silver for the fuselage and national colours on the tail fin with white stripes on the top of the wings?

Regards

MM

The Potez 29 is a variant of the Potez 25, which was a very successful French design.  Azur are planning to release two versions of this.  A Potez 29 would require a new upper fuselage.  I gather that Azur are considering this, but a conversion from a Potez 25 kit would seem to be possible.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

The Potez 29 is a variant of the Potez 25, which was a very successful French design.  Azur are planning to release two versions of this.  A Potez 29 would require a new upper fuselage.  I gather that Azur are considering this, but a conversion from a Potez 25 kit would seem to be possible.

Thank you for this Graham. I know absolutley nothing about French avation. I just thought the colour scheme on the ambulance version of the Potez 29 in the photo looked good and wouldn't mind trying to replicate it in minature one day.

Regards

MM

• Like 1

4 hours ago, serial modeler said:

Nice piece of colonial aviation nostalgia. I noticed the striped upper wing, easy recognition markings. The Italians used similar in their aviation in Libya. In case of forced landings in desolate terrain it was easier to spot.

Nice one. makes sense.

MM..

• Like 1

On 4.04.2018 at 5:29 PM, missile-monkey said:

Regards

MM

I think it is green and silver.

Besides the announcement from Azur that they are considering release of Potez 29 the Lift Here do it as resin and myself did one as a scratch build (with use of some Broplan Potez 25 parts, modified anyway)

Regards

J-W

11 hours ago, JWM said:

I think it is green and silver.

Besides the announcement from Azur that they are considering release of Potez 29 the Lift Here do it as resin and myself did one as a scratch build (with use of some Broplan Potez 25 parts, modified anyway)

Hello,

I saw the Lift Here version on their website......Unfortunately you can't order direct from Serbia and the only stockist here in the UK doesn't have thekit. I'll think of another cunning plan..

Regards

MM

• Like 1