Aifix 1/48 Hurricane MKI - Wheels up

Howdy Folks…

After starting a thread a few months back entitled – ‘wheels up or down – what’s your opinion’? I decided it was time to have a go at a ‘wheels up’ aircraft – silly me…

This was also a test for a lot of ‘newby’ questions I have been asking – so thanks to all the members that have chipped in along the way with useful suggestions about all the products and techniques used…

• Airfix – 1/48 Hurricane MKl
  • Halfords Grey Undercoat Aerosol
  • Fillers  - Mr Dissolved Putty / Cyano and talc
  • Vallejo Model Air Paints
  • Humbrol Acrylic Gloss Varnish – hand brushed
  • Decals from the Airfix ‘Ready for Battle’ kit
  • Microsol / Microset
  • Tamiya weathering powder set – snow white and soot
  • Winsor and Newton Galleria Matt Varnish – airbrushed

When it came to displaying the finished piece I really struggled for a solution – other than hanging it from the ceiling in the office.  So I started another thread called – ‘wheels up aircraft - display inspiration PLEASE’ - thanks for all the ideas here too.

The base is made from 18mm MDF for weight and the image on the top is a cloudscape that came from an internet wallpaper site.  The ‘British Lion’ appeared almost by magic after a google search and seemed so appropriate.  I wondered about adding some text and then it came to me - the Churchill quote – what could be better – I just wish I’d remembered to add 1940 to the dateline – DOH…

I’m still very much a beginner – so any constructive comments would be appreciated.  It has been fun and a brilliant learning experience – so here she is…

brit_1.jpg

brit_2.jpg

brit_3.jpg

brit_4.jpg

brit_5.jpg

brit_6.jpg

Thanks for taking the time to have a look - Steve

• Like 39

Excellent job Steve! Very nicely painted and subtlety weathered. I also like the the base – good idea.

The one thing I would say is that the photos look a bit over-exposed, but that may just be because the white background.

Gorby

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Gorbygould said:

Excellent job Steve! Very nicely painted and subtlety weathered. I also like the the base – good idea.

The one thing I would say is that the photos look a bit over-exposed, but that may just be because the white background.

Gorby

Hey Gorby - not only am I a poor modelller - I'm an even worse photographer :lol:

...sausage fingers AND blind as a bat :doh:

Hopefully if my modelling gets better I might invest in something better to photograph them with :blush:

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BIG X said:

Hey Gorby - not only am I a poor modelller - I'm an even worse photographer :lol:

...sausage fingers AND blind as a bat :doh:

Hopefully if my modelling gets better I might invest in something better to photograph them with :blush:

"Poor modeller" - my a&€@!!...  

Great piece of work, well presented.  I like the base too simple but imaginative..

Only thing I would change is a thinner mounting rod.  I use brass tube but you might be able to get some clear rod..

• Like 2

Very nice job on this Hurricane, clever idea for the base.

I agreee with Grey, a clear rod or a metal rod like welding rod or so

Keep carry on, I enjoyed your Hurricane.

Congratulations.

Thank for sharing.

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, BIG X said:

Hey Gorby - not only am I a poor modelller - I'm an even worse photographer

I would agree with @Grey Beema on that - I can't fault the model at all - excellent job, sausage fingers or not.

As to the photography - photographing something dark on a very light background will confuse many cameras. I often find that a black background can be very effective - even for a darkish model. 

• Like 1

Don't worry about being a beginner, we all were at some point and believe me we're all still learning. The main thing is enjoying it. I've got an old tool one on it's way to me for a bit of slap and fettle and alternative scheme.

Just keep at it

PS Sea Hurricane next then?;)

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Gorbygould said:

I would agree with @Grey Beema on that - I can't fault the model at all - excellent job, sausage fingers or not.

As to the photography - photographing something dark on a very light background will confuse many cameras. I often find that a black background can be very effective - even for a darkish model. 

Thanks for the sage advice - just given this a go - with the old i-phone and a black shirt...brit7.jpg

• Like 6

Good effort Steve,.....that is a lovely Hurri and I like the way you have displayed it too,......brilliant job,

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1

WOW - Thanks for all the lovely comments and constructive ideas.

As I said this was a 'test bed' for all the things that you good folk have helped me with over the last few months.  I know I've been a pain at times - asking loads of 'stupid' questions - but you have all been so patient and offered loads of brilliant tips - YOU ARE AMAZING :clap2::clap2::clap2:

I have had so much fun with this and it is all down to you guys and gals - egging me on - in a good way.

SO - I have just started an Airfix BF-109E - the props have been chopped and it is going to be wheels up too - so we may be in for a new base and a 'dogfight double' - I hope you like that idea - let me know...

Steve

• Like 1

Nice to see a model aircraft display in flight - I cannot fault your model Hurricane either although I agree with others a clear plastic rod would have been perfect.

Regards

Dave

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Epeeman said:

Nice to see a model aircraft display in flight - I cannot fault your model Hurricane either although I agree with others a clear plastic rod would have been perfect.

Regards

Dave

I'm investigating clear plastic rods as we speak - I may even 'retro-fit'one - watch this space...

• Like 1

Can't help but agree with others here: please go and get some retro-fititis and clear rod and do the rest of your work on that Hurricane justice.  Taking photos against a dark background's worked better too.  If your '109's as good as this you should be well chuffed.

I've a "soft spot" for 32 Squadron as, during part of the Battle of Britain, they were based at RAF Hawkinge, just outside Folkestone and not too far from where I used to live.  Now, apart from a small patch occupied by the Kent Battle of Britain Museum, most of the site is buried under housing, parts of the A20 and M20 and the Maggie's Hole Channel Tunnel rail line and terminal.😭

• Like 2

Clear rod - interestingly PMMA - not styrene as I expected - ordered today on Amazon - 3mm and 5mm - 20 inch lengths - £2.84 each - bargain...

I can see where I have gone wrong with the brass rod and maybe a bigger base might give me room tilt the Hurricane to a more dramatic angle - we shall see - it was only a newbie test after all. 

2 hours ago, lordstrpe said:

Great build and presentation :goodjob:

Question regarding the image, how did you go about putting the image on the display base? Printed on paper and stuck on?

YES - 18mm MDF - edged with black plastic edge trim / MDF coated with double sided adhesive / image printed slightly oversize on photo paper / image stuck down / turned the block over and trimmed away the excess for a flush finish - simple - compared to making models :lol:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BIG X said:

YES - 18mm MDF - edged with black plastic edge trim / MDF coated with double sided adhesive / image printed slightly oversize on photo paper / image stuck down / turned the block over and trimmed away the excess for a flush finish - simple - compared to making models :lol:

Thanks. I'm making an in flight model myself and your base looks really good! :coolio:

• Like 1