Spitfire to Seafire

NAVY870

Shipmates

I have a trio of Hasegawa'a ancient but lovable Spitfire Vb in the stash, the first was purchased second hand and is a resto

the second is a VC wip (with a lot of input from the much missed Edgar).

Having bought a Revell Seafire and been politely dismayed I set upon the idea of converting the Hasegawa bird to Senior Service.

I vaguely remember seeing a four bladed conversion but being unfamiliar with such things I'll ask you chaps for ideas.

Mark isnt important just as long as it gets "Royal Navy" above the serial number.

TIA

• Like 1

In 1/48th Steve?

Which revell Seafire ? The old 32nd kit?

The easiest thing is to do a Vb as Seafire IB,  

Seafire IBs
A flight of 736 Squadron Seafire MkIBs – this variant had non-folding wings and was quickly replaced in frontline service with more sophisticated types

anything else is going to be a lot more work.

At one point Airfix redid the Old tool Spit Vb as a Vc/Seafire III,  which was a good idea in theory, but the new parts were, erm, crude,  but maybe worth asking around for the hook parts.

IIRC the Navy did have land based Vb's for training as well,  which would get you "Royal  Navy"  with no extra work.

Let me know if you  want  some more info and I'll have dig through the library.

HTH

T

• Like 1

Thanks Troy

I should have mentioned its the 1/32nd kit.

Vb to IB might be the way to go.

I do have the Shacklady book in the collection, I had a brief look but it is a somewhat weighty tome and 

reading about Spitfire wings and variants is serious headache matireal!

• Like 1

I'm not expert but wasn't the Seafire II was a navalise Spitfire Vc?  Non folding wings, catapult spools and plates on the fuselage sides, fuselage longeron strengthened, radios hatch strengthened and catapult lugs near the firewall, four bladed prop on most (but some exceptions) and hook.  Loads of different markings (I'm currently working on a 1/48 SH Seafire II, Operation Torch, roundels and Stars).

It doesn't sound too bad a conversion but you need a view from some of the experts of this parish who know much more than me...

• Like 1

I thought the Seafire 1 was a Spitfire VB with hook, no spools.

Seafire 2, was similar with Spitfire C wing, and spools.  That's the way I converted 2 1/72 Spitfires to Royal Navy anyway.

Seafire 3, was a Spitfire IX with 4 blade prop, 2 underwing radiators, and introduced the folding wing.

• Like 1

I think the Seafire III was a Seafire II with updates and folding wing..  It was still based on the Vc.  Instead of a Seafire based on the IX the Admiralty went for a Griffin engined Seafire XV with reached the Fleet after the Japanese surrender..

• Like 2

Steve,

I used the Hasegawa VB  as a basis for a Seafire lll conversion, in conjunction with the old Warbirds resin sets. I think these are now available via Grey Matter Figures. It provides, prop, exhaust, arrestor hook, strengthening plates etc, along with a separate set of 'C' type wings.

Here's how it turned out. The aerial from post to rudder is incorrect and I've subsequently removed it and I've also added underwing IFF aerials since these photos were taken.

374870f4-8738-4546-b7a7-a9c82fda950f.JPG

e26a11f4-0488-4b0f-b4f0-f3b31c5851bb.JPG

• Like 3

Troy will probably correct me but for 'baby' Seafires the order goes something like this.....

Spitfire Vb transferred to FAA. No mods.

'Hooked Spitfire'. A Vb with a hook but no spools.

Seafire IIc. The first new build Seafires and built by Westlands and Cunliffe Owen. No wing fold.

Spitfire IIIc. Similar to the II but with wing fold. Some early ones had non folding wings and were redesignated I think as IIc (interim).

External mods included the longitudal strengthening plate along the fuselage sides. A similar strengthener went around the radio hatch.

The IIIc wing was a modified version of the Vc wing in that the inner gun bay was removed to accommodate the wing fold.

I've not mentioned the exhausts, props, clipped wings and the like as that is way beyond my knowledge!

HTH

Trevor

• Like 2

The Seafire Ib was the operational version of the hooked Spitfire. As I understand it, the hooked Spitfires were an interim solution, not used operationally, and twisting of the airframe resulting from arrestments required the strengthening plates seen on the Ib, which was used operationally. 

• Like 1

I think the real distinction between hooked Spitfire and Seafire IB is the equipment list- Navy radios, etc.

Also, I've seen the comment before about the inner cannon bay being "occupied" by the folding wing, but (without confirming) I don't think that's true.  As far as I know, the Seafire III etc kept the cannon in the usual inner station.

Looks nice, Ian, and a worthy project, Steve.

• Like 2

Sturtivant (FAA Aircraft of WW2) certainly distinguishes the "hooked Spitfire" from the 48 Seafire Mk.Ib converted from Spitfire Mk.Vb by AST at Hamble.  These were reserialled MB328 to MB375, whereas the hooked Spitfires retained their original serial.  Changing the serial would normally imply a fairly important rebuild of the central/rear fuselage, as with those Hurricane Mk.Is reworked into Mk.IIs and largely sent to Russia.  To me this would imply there was a difference between the Seafire Mk.Ib and the hooked Spitfire that extended beyond equipment fit, probably structurally important, but I can't find anything in either Sturtivant or Spitfire The History to confirm this.  Maybe there's something in Brown's Seafire?

• Like 3

I went on the interwebby and found this....

http://www.armouredcarriers.com/seafire-variants/

Some familiar pictures but nice to have them in one place and some useful data. I can't vouch for the veracity of the data, but I'd heard of the flush riveted Cunliffe Owen machines before.

Trevor

• Like 1

I don't have the kits mentioned here but IMHO building a BPF Seafire III from a Vc is quite easy with the assistance of some extra bits. Said that, my only Seafire III conversion was made from a Mk.IX but this is another story....

One way is simply to buy a conversion set. 1/32 isn't really my realm so I don't know much of what's around in this scale, google is your friend here.

If no conversion is available, then a number of bits can be found from either a Spitfire IX kit or from the many aftermarket items aimed at this variant.

Starting from the front and moving back we have...

- 4 bladed propeller: take from a Mk.IX, I'm sure that there are also resin parts. I have some memories of the tip shape being changed by sawing on the Seafire to prevent hitting the deck, better check pictures. In any case it's a simple job

- 6-stub exhausts: again, there should be resin for the Mk.IX

- Aerovee intake: guess what ? Take from a Mk.IX (it's the longer style used on most IXs and the VIII, most kits should have both)

- Wheels: can't remember the style used on the Seafire, in any case there's plenty of Spitfire resin wheels around

- Landing gear leg cover doors: going by memory, these were slightly different on the Seafire, with a bit cut to prevent snagging with the wire, simply cut the kit doors

- Folding wings: rescribe the wings to add the folding lines. Keep in mind that these lines differ on top and bottom. The folding wings also result in the flap actuator linkage door being moved

- Cannons fairings: late Seafire IIIs had abandoned the earlier Vc style and used a style similar to the one used on the Mk.XVI, search in resin or brass (Master of Poland for example) or scratchbuild

- Catapult spools: not difficult to scratchbuild

- Reinforcements around the radio hatch and on the fuselage: nothing that can't be made with thin plasticard, if I did it in 1/72 then everybody else can

- Arresting hook: remove a bit of the lower fuselage, scribe the rest of the hook assembly and scratchbuild the hook proper. A bit more involved than other jobs but quite easy

- Tailplanes: the Seafire III at that point had the larger compensation horns, the original part can be filled and rescribed or alternatively use the parts from a Mk.IX

There are some more detail differences in the cockpit like the rack for the cartridges on the seat, I may have forgotten something, but IIRC the main structural aspects are covered.

Considering the number of times I've mentioned the Mk.IX, it's now easier to understand why I built mine by converting this variant. In any case starting from a Vc means less trouble as the main structural parts are correct (starting from a IX means shortening the fuselage and changing the underwing radiator etc)

Edited by Giorgio N
  • Like 2

In the SH 1/48 Seafire II & III kits the Long and Radio hatch strengthening pieces are supplied as pieces of self adhesive precut thick tape.  TBH you could probably make them from thick sticky tape or thin plastic card.  If you cant find drawings and plans, I could measure these up for you, photograph and you can do the maths to scale up.  You could do the same for the rear fuselage spool plates but I dont have non fitted versions of these to use.

As @ClaudioN says the MkIII is a bit of a Hybrid between the MkVc & MkIX Spitfires but Navalised.  I would just start from a MkVc rather than a MkIX, afterall the Admiralty did..

Back in the 1980's(!) IPMS Uk mag had 1/48 scale drawings for a III. I used these as a template for the strengthening plates. Sadly my copy is in the Great Linrary in the Sky, but someone else here may have access to the relevant edition?

Trevor

I wouldn't really say that the Seafire III is a hybrid between a V and a IX, it is afterall a V, with a single stage Merlin. The prop and Aerovee intake are something that was never used on the V but the 6-stub exhausts and the tailplanes with the larger compensation horns were also seen on late Spitfire Vs.

Grey Matter do some Seafire III conversions

wings

http://www.greymatterfigures.com/index.php?p=2&id=54

other parts

http://www.greymatterfigures.com/index.php?p=2&id=59

note prices quoted include VAT (tax) at 20%, so you should be able to get the VAT free price...

but Steve, depending on your budgets and skills,  a Revell Spitfire IX could be a cheaper source of parts, though they may not be that cheap in Australia? 

Tamiya used to offer replacement parts, if you can get those, some Spitfire IX bit would be very handy.  

HTH

• Like 1