Heroes of Kosciuszko - Red 56 - RIAT 2015 **Will not be finished**

Hi all,

Well, here's (almost) the first duplicate entry into the Group Build - but Muzz has the decals for Red 40 (low-viz crest) whilst I've opted for Red 56 (Red / White crest) to be done as it was at RIAT 2015.

To be made from the GWH Early boxing (which also contains the Late parts) plus some extras.

First the box lid

20170630_115444

and the sprues

20170630_115606

and finally the goodies

20170630_115851

Eduard zoom cockpit set

Caracal decals (now out of stock)

Model Master turned brass static wicks

Some Eduard Brassin pylons - much more detail than kit and aircraft was displayed with two empty pylons per wing

A few resin bits left over from an earlier Eduard / Academy build

Attack Squadron Polish detail set (resin aerials, cockpit extras and photoetch)

This is going to be a busy time with From Russia and Made in Britain already ongoing, not to mention F-15 starting before this one finishes but hopefully I will get this finished by the deadline.

Regards

Mike

Edited by FortyEighter
Title changed
  • Like 5

Will be good to see how the two builds go Mike, different kits but similar/same AM. I was at RIAT 2015 and saw the aircraft display.

Muzz

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Jabba said:

I also will be building this aircraft when I get around to starting this GB, but without the AM (Apart from decals). I wish you luck with your build.

Thanks, I'm not surprised that "Heroes" are proving popular- they are attractive schemes!

• Like 1

Welcome aboard Mike and another GWH beasty, I had a feeling these were going to be a popular build!! Plus the scheme is a popular one as well, there's no problems with that at all.

I like the extras you have, always good to see extras!

I'm really looking forward to seeing how these GWH 29's build up as I'm keen to build a Ukraine one, digital scheme of course!

So good luck with the build, thanks for joining us, looks like you'll be busy as well (I'll have at least 3 builds running at the same time as well!), look forward to seeing her in the gallery.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, trickyrich said:

Welcome aboard Mike and another GWH beasty, I had a feeling these were going to be a popular build!! Plus the scheme is a popular one as well, there's no problems with that at all.

I like the extras you have, always good to see extras!

I'm really looking forward to seeing how these GWH 29's build up as I'm keen to build a Ukraine one, digital scheme of course!

So good luck with the build, thanks for joining us, looks like you'll be busy as well (I'll have at least 3 builds running at the same time as well!), look forward to seeing her in the gallery.

Thanks Rich.  Aiming to make a start some time next week but have gone back to my Super VC-10 today.

• Like 1

The marking choice is a good one.............as well as the actual Kitty :)

Based on the pic of your colored P.E, I would think you would need to make the 308 a bit darker...........from the picture the PE looks dark....maybe its lighting, would not know for sure...

Rgds

Brian

Update time.............

Cockpit has now been completed, though picture shows it before final assembly

20170711_181129

I decided to mix a match for the Eduard etch, not 100% accurate BUT went that way as I'm not very good at picking out the details with a paintbrush.

Two of the Attack Squadron extras on top of the centre console and one still to go on the LH end - PE shrouds are in the same kit.  Some surgery on the original upper fuselage will be needed, so will post more photos when that is done.

Meanwhile other sub-assemblies are progressing eg wheel wells inserted and intakes / engine cover partly done.

Regards

Mike

• Like 6

Oh very nice indeed!!! That looks amazing!

I'm busy trying to stitch together two AM sets to make a good one....no fun there!

I'm super impressed, well done........look out from a package from me if I balls up mine! :D

• Like 1

Cockpit is now installed in upper fuselage

20170715_213027~2

Some surgery needed to allow the Attack Squadron extras to fit. RH shroud from their PE but the LH shroud was far too small so needed one built from some spare etch edging.  Apart from filing, the base for the HUD also needed to be cut off and repositioned further back 

View from the front - once it is all painted it won't be so obvious!

20170715_213134~2

• Like 2

Picking up on Jabba's question (in IIking's GWH MiG-29A thread) re the wheel wells:

I've not managed to get the best of fits on the main wells / intake trunking

• seams on lower trunking (D8/15 and D9/14) need some filler
  • have a small gap between the above trunking and the lower edges of the wheel wells (C76/77) but this is hardly noticeable from the outside, so I'm going to leave it
  • despite all locating pins being properly located, there is a small gap between the front of the lower engine covers (C61/62) and the rear of each intake trunking.  Also the port engine cover is slightly out of alignment with its trunking but as this isn't yet glued in place I can probably correct it by cutting off the forward locating pin.

Most of the above are probably me not taking enough care but I raise them so anyone else building the GWH kit will take their time on these parts.

The design of the outer exhaust nozzle is strange - three parts giving four seam lines which are going to take some time to get rid off.  On the plus side after a dry fit of all the parts mentioned above I can get a set of Eduard Brassin exhausts to fit (even though they are designed for the Academy kit).

Off to do some more filling and sanding now.....................

Ok, some photos of my issues with main wheelwell / intakes / engine covers:

Intake trunking glued in place (all tabs in slots) and engine covers just taped in position (but with pins in holes)

First the Port side - a small gap (no real problem) but front edge of cover is pushed towards the inner side.  Suspect this can be cured by removing the front locating pin.

Port_20170724_170013

Now for the Starboard side, despite all pins / tabs located there is a gap between the intake / wheelwell.  Not much I can do about this but presume it only takes a small misalignment of the well parts for the intake to not sit properly

Stbd(1)20170724_170117

and the Starboard cover fits slightly proud of the trunking and has a 1mm gap where it should fit against the tapering edge of the trunking (sorry, forgot to take a photo of that)

Stbd(2)_20170724_170244

I've obviously not got the main well parts mated correctly - my main purpose in posting on this was to warn anyone else making the GWH kit that there needs to be a LOT of TRIAL FITS before glueing.

At the moment I think I'll leave the covers off until the top and bottom of fuselage are joined, then at least I won't end up twisting the lower section and making more work to get the top to fit correctly!

Hope someone out there finds these photos of use in their build.

Mike

• Like 2

Starboard joint adjusted by clamping - the photo gives an impression of a big step at the join but that is mainly shadow

20170726_145503

Port side played hardball and was removed with a scalpel and then re-attached after cleaning the edges

20170726_145527

For some reason, despite everything else lining up left to right, these two joints don't but as they are on the underside who is going to notice when the model is displayed?

20170726_145715[1]20170726_145701[1]

Have just realised that most of the inner / lower seams don't need fettling as the drop tank hides them:clap2:

• Like 2

On 26/07/2017 at 7:31 PM, Jabba said:

Like yourself I am finding the fit of some the parts of this kit not as good as I would have expected from this modern kit, or is it just my inept attempts at modelling.

Yes - I'm very tempted to sell some of my stash and invest in a Tamiya F-14 or Zoukei-Mura F-4J, reviews I've read of those suggest they both take engineering to a new level!

Still at least the fit of the GWH is much better than the Academy models.

Edited by FortyEighter
Wrong phantom corrected!
  • Like 1

I'm really surprised with the issues everyone is having with the GWH model, it looks so good and all the reviews are great. Though I don't trust reviewers after the HB F-111 fiasco!!!! :angry:

The worst thing with the Academy model is the plastic used, it's so hard, not the sort of thing you want when you're doing drastic surgery to it.

Both those models sound nice! That said I've built a Z-M's Ta-152H-1, it was one of their early models I will, admit. But you have to be so careful when you fitted parts, if you didn't fit bits in their exact position nothing would fit later on and the locations for them were often quite sloppy.